Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 03:45:43 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Clear Vinyl Question

Started by jojo, May 10, 2012, 05:53:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Do most of you use 30 or 40 gauge for enclosures when you're buying off the roll? Is either ok, and is one better than the other or just thicker? Thanks!

timtheboatguy

I have only worked with 30 myself.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

JuneC

The only "off the roll" goods I use are 20 gauge and that's only for camper backs - simply because the pieces are large and I make the windows big so the canvas starts getting too heavy with thick vinyl.  Also, the clarity is not so important.  For forward and side enclosure panels, I use 30 or 40 gauge sheets.  40 gauge is more expensive, but has better clarity than the 30 simply because the thickness causes it to flex and distort images less.  60 gauge is even better, but it's super heavy.  60 gauge starts to look like polycarbonate if templated and installed correctly. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jojo

Wow...thanks for the info! Customers in these parts are very budget conscious, so buying genuine strataglass or anything like that is out of the question.

Mike

40 g dosent come on a roll that im asare of i dont use 20 its just to thin dor me like the stuff used on a resteraunt  table  mostly 30g roll or sheet 40 and 60g

DBR1957

Depends on the area, boat size and job. For sewing in replacement vinyl use 20 to
30 gauge. The original vinyl has already shrunk some and 20/30 gives a little
flexibility.

For new jobs on smaller boats we go with 30. For new larger boats sheet or Strata
in the front where visibility is important then 40 roll for aft curtains or camper
enclosures. I have had customers request sheet or Strata all around.

It amazes me though, some of the posts I read on here about frugal customers
and materials. Compared to the full job, the difference between this material or
that material is miniscule. When I explain the difference in quality and longevity
of materials compared to the cost I have never had a customer want the less
expensive material.

bobbin

We use 30 gauge on the roll, Jojo.  The clarity isn't as good as sheet goods, but it's more than adequate for most jobs where a customer is watching the pennies.  It's what we generally use when we're rehabbing a dodger.  We never use 20 g. as it simply doesn't hold up well when it comes to cold cracking.  

You have to watch the clarity for the first yard/so on the roll and the also the last yard/so.  Quality tends to peter out, so when calculating your price/yard be aware that you will "write off" a couple/3 yards before you get to the better clarity.  

We use 40g but not exclusively because it's cold here for many months of the year and 40g can make installing and using curtains difficult.  

Grebo

I tend to use the stuff off the roll for anything that's going to get folded down on a regular basis. The thicker, sparkling clear 30 or 40g is fine until it's been squished down a few times then it tends to get more hazy than the thin stuff. If it's some thing that is not going to get moved around to much I would always talk them into the good stuff.
We don't have the cold issue more trouble with burn out than anything else.

Suzi

Mike

Ya suzi I was surprised when I first came to Florida and saw y ridge models with the  only sll on in the ICW in summer.   Here the vinyls up and the ac on the bridge is on. 

regalman190

I only use 30 ga roll vinyl on small jobs when a customer wants "INEXPENSIVE".....

Otherwise, I always use 30 ga. sheets, 40ga. for very large windows.

Regal Canvas

Peppy

We use 30g roll on everything. The last few years demand for sheet has been rising. Typically 30g only the front windows but a few are going for everywhere but the screens.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠