Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 01:55:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

button trouble

Started by mike802, October 14, 2010, 11:05:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mike802

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make vinyl buttons without the vinyl separating from the backing.  I have tried heating the vinyl, using a backer fabric, lubricating the vinyl and molds all without success. I am using standard duty molds.
Thanks
Mike.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

scott_san_diego

That can happen when you press to hard down on the cap when making the button.  It will cut the vinyl.  Try making one will very little pressure when pressing down on the handle.

sofadoc

Obviously, I'm not suggesting anything you haven't already tried. But I spray silicone into both molds, and press very lightly. I'm sure you've already done that. You must have some REALLY delicate vinyl.
If there were some way to dull the rim of the shells with a file, or grinder. Maybe you could grip a shell between your fingers, and slide it across a file?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Light pressure is the only way. If you make a few you will get to feel the shell close around the back. Do it very slowly and you will gain a feel for it. You will still spoil a few but this is possible.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

BCKC

Ummmm...not to sound like a dork ball here...but....I have a vinyl die and a fabric die. They are very different indead.
The vinyl die is flatter topped than the fabric die letting the vinyl strech as needed with out cutting. OooOOO and like they said in upper post..lub is always great!

Karen
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them........http://www.candcupholsterydesigns.com

sofadoc

Quote from: BCKC on October 16, 2010, 06:21:08 pm
Ummmm...not to sound like a dork ball here...but....I have a vinyl die and a fabric die. They are very different indead.
The vinyl die is flatter topped than the fabric die letting the vinyl strech as needed with out cutting. OooOOO and like they said in upper post..lub is always great!

One of my supply catalogs recommends soft temper shells for vinyl (they come in regular temper, or soft temper).
Also, the dies come in soft, medium, and heavy weight. They recommend a heavy die for vinyl.
Since I only occasionally have trouble while making vinyl buttons, I personally couldn't justify the cost of having 2 different sets of dies for every size.
Sometimes, I have to make 10 buttons just to get 5 good ones (but not too often).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

mike802

Thanks everybody.  I think the dies is the answer, I rarely make vinyl buttons and I have already tried all the suggestions mentioned. Unfortunately, or fortunately how ever you want to look at it, the customer is a very good repeat customer, so buying a new die just to make 4 buttons is not cost effective, but to keep a good customer happy it sure is.  I was just hoping someone might have a trick I hadn't tried to save me the expense.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Lynn

try warming up the vinyl and the die. Softening the vinyl with heat makes it easier to mould but if you don't warm the die up too it cools the vinyl off too fast.
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!