Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 01:58:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help with Scissors/cutting tool

Started by sunshine_n_pc, March 21, 2014, 07:39:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine_n_pc

Quote from: Allan on March 28, 2014, 08:30:22 pm
Looks good
How do you hold the cover to the car?

Allan

We mainly use magnets inserted in to the binding at the top, however, if the car is fiberglass we use straps, sometimes grommets if there is an existing bolt to attach it to - this one has a magnet tab on the front and then 2 straps on each side.

Quote from: MinUph on March 29, 2014, 09:30:29 am
How do you deal with the seams being uncovered by the fleece? Doesn't sound finished this way. It seems something like this should be lined with all seams on the inside facing each other. Maybe finding a better lining material would solve the stretching issue. You could then Make the lining like the topper and line it properly maybe binding the outer edges. And stitching in places to hold it all together.

I'm not sure what you are referring to....the goal is to only have the fleece touching the paint..... in the beginning we turned seams to the inside and finished the seams with a top stitch.   But that is putting sometimes harsh edges of the vinyl against the car paint.  A couple years ago we started using our "whisper soft seam technology"  .. we turn the seams to the outside and trim close to the seam.  Car people are very particular about their paint - many have thousands tied up in a paint job.  Normally I bind the edges with the vinyl, but with this one, i used the fleece and i am binding all of the edges.  However, I didn't finish the bottom edge all the way around.  This one is a mock up to test the pattern - several issues still to fix. 

I'm not really using the fleece as a lining but more as just a backing to the vinyl - so when I sew I am sewing it all like it is one layer, not a layer of vinyl and then fleece.  I did think about using it as a lining that could be removed for cleaning or replacing (anything caught up in the fleece has the potential to scratch paint) but that would double my sewing and cutting time - maybe something for the future

ajlelectronics

Maybe the same way I use scrim foam and fabric... Cut you vinyl to shape, spray aerosol adhesive on both parts, allow to go off and put them together. Now stitch around the outside of the pieces to make it easy to work with.

MinUph

I know you were just asking about scissors but this has morphed into more.

Have you considered making these like you just said turning the seams out but finishing this off with binding? I think it would look much more professional and finished. I see the thought behind turning them out. I had not realized this was done hence my question before.

I realize this is a high end market and hope 1 that you are getting a high end price. It is a nice idea on a 400k car. I also see where you mention the pattern needs tweaking yet on this one. The fender seam is way off. Should fix before showing as any sample.

Good luck in your venture.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website