Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 01:20:04 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I just wanted to stop and say hey and introduce myself.

Started by @Tn_Barnwood, March 12, 2017, 07:46:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

@Tn_Barnwood

I just wanted to stop and say hey and introduce myself.
I started upholstery back in early 80's up till mid 90's before I got burned out with it. I can do pretty much anything. Frame work, springs, refinish work, wood repair and furniture restorations. I am also in building wood furniture from recycled wood types such as barn wood, live edge from already downed trees, pallet wood and the such.

I went back into this type of work when my computer business got very slow. I am certified in 14 areas of computer sciences. I hope to be here to get help and to also help others. I am a bit rusty but it is coming back. Never stop learning from others because I think the value of a good furniture worker (or anything else) is what you learn after you think you know it all.

My twitter id is the id I use here. So tweet me there and say hey here. I have not used that twitter yet since I have just started that account. But will gladly tweet you back or follow you if you follow me. Look forward to seeing your work and you seeing mine.

Thanks All and have a great Sunday!

gene

Welcome to the forum. Not a lot of folks still hanging around here but those that do are very kind and giving with their knowledge. The "search" from past posts has a tremendous amount of info also. I wonder if a lot of folks just search the forum rather than asking specific questions.

What burned you out on upholstery? I'm asking because as much as I love what I do, it is physically demanding work for me.

FYI: It seems that going off topic on this forum is the rule and not the exception to the rule. My opinion is that we upholsterers are too lazy to start a new thread and too lazy to complain when someone hijacks our own threads.  :)

Best of luck with getting back into the upholstery business.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

@Tn_Barnwood

When I was working doing upholstery I worked 8 till 6 at a shop in Macon Ga. When I left there the guy I rented from, I lived in a small apt added to the back of his mom's upholstery shop and she told me if I wanted extra money I could work with her when I wanted and also use her shop for bringing in my own work. I met her through her son who owned that building and I was looking for a new apt. I only paid $200 per month with electricity,  utilities all included because there was only one meter.

Well working the first shop 8 till 6 Monday through Friday and being there on Saturday 8 till non. I as working her shop either on her stuff or my stuff Monday through Thursday 6:30 till 9:30 and on Saturday from say 1 pm till 6 pm and would work on my own stuff strictly on Sundays from 10 am till done. I did that for 10 years. I was young and loved doing it. I was addicted to the money so I made myself get up and go. Then one day I woke up, could not get up and go anymore. I just stopped cold turkey and said never again. Got another job in computers then when it slowed down about 5 years ago I decided to start back slowly. But now I really don't do much on demand stuff. I try to work at my own pace and I decided to come up with a formula that works for me. Back then there was no internet. Now with the internet opening so many doors I have options. While I am out I go by flea markets, Craigslist, drive around and pick up furniture on the side of the road. I get stuff for literally little or nothing and start from scratch rebuilding it. Take my time and cost of materials into account and  add a percent to it and then sell it.

A good example is that I picked up a 1970's large tv console on the side of the road back after Christmas. I gutted the inside and repaired and refinished the console and used a shagbark hickory tree trunk I had and cut a 1 1/2 inch thick slab and put a thick clear acrylic high gloss coating on it like a lot of bars have. I built wine inserts on the inside. I turned it into a nice wine cabinet. Working on it off and on over two weeks. I had about $125 in it and sold it to a decorator here for $550. I have a deal with a couple of decorators that I work with. I tell them what I want on my end and they make whatever they want on their end. I think she sold it for $1500 which is fine with me because I can start on another project.

Everything I make is clear money which helps. I work when I want, no worry about someone complaining about what I did for them where they decided to change their mind about what they wanted after I am half way finished. I easily do around $2000 a month and more if I feel like it.

I am always on the hunt for something I can turn. A woman was moving who had a yard sale last summer. She had a queen ann sofa from 1884 that she had tried to get restored after her basement flooded and every glue joint separated. She decided it was too cost prohibitive for her and just put the pieces out in a yard sale. I talked to her about it and she gave me the history behind it and let me do a scan of some really old family photos of it going way back. I checked it and it was all there but just in really bad shape. Had fabric but no strong joints. The seat and back springs were there and had 10 way ties on them. The back springs had a tag saying "Kent Furniture Manufacturing Co. - Grand Rapids" with 1887 written in pencil. I assume she was given the wrong date and 1887 was when it was made. The company was not in business long and went under a few years after expanding into upholstered furniture from wood only furniture. There is a small museum in Grand Rapids where I scanned the tag and sent them a copy. They were excited and want to make an offer after I am done. Been working on it slowly due to the damage.  I bought one item from the woman and then she gave me the sofa because of my interest. It was late and she said in less than an hour it would be sitting on the side of the road anyways.

Thats pretty much how I do things. My own pace, my own way, when I feel like it and clear money. So far it has worked well!

SteveA

Welcome TN - enjoyed reading a brief section of your bio - I do believe the desire to use your skills is in your blood regardless of your everyday job.  I guess the need to create was dormant but never left you.  Photobucket although gimmicky is a good place for before and after photos. Try to post some pictures here if you can. 
Junk to treasure is always interesting for me.  Preserving and restoring the things of our past is so important.  Cheers - keep fixing those throwaways - they were made better than most things are made today.
SA

Mike

Quote from: @Tn_Barnwood on March 12, 2017, 10:10:11 am
   I try to work at my own pace
god luck with that!   I can understand burned out I started marine canvas and upholstery 93  7 day a week in the summer for 11 years before relocating to FL to  have more time off but they still drag me in   

BCKC

This is not funny I know but it IS!!!!! Once you are known out in the common world your sunk!!!! You I he she all of us who care are in high demand...the longer your waiting list the more they want YOU!

Have a blessed evening! and remember the day is only as good as you make it!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 PS..... ya that made no sence!! but I mean it!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              K...like...aren
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them........http://www.candcupholsterydesigns.com