Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 05:19:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Upholstery Classes

Started by tapissier, September 29, 2011, 06:13:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tapissier

Algae, its all about the fabric.

the fabric calls the day
the fabric calls the method
the fabric calls the skill
the fabric is  and will be forever the boss.

WE, as upholsterers, are at the mercy of the fabric, that is why, education os paramount.
Every upholsterer should know about fabric and how it is made, the contents, the different weaves and so forth.

Some fabrics are not compatible with upholstery and so many times I had to give a lecture to the designer about what is and what's not appropriate for upholstery..
On the other hand, if you give a Holland and Sherry suit fabric and you want me to make you a custom couch, I will not turn down the challenge, just raise the cost, for it will take more time, more prep work, and even the outside will have to be in muslin, the sewing/tailoring is totally different from your average Robert Allen piece of good.

As for Upholstery education how about this:   http://www.upholders.co.uk/upholding%20our%20trade.htm

alge

Thank goodness we slightly disagree, albeit due to legislation.

For me the budget/breif is boss, in the uk we have a lot of loose fillings to hand so we can tailor the upholstery pad (Deck?) density with similar techniques but the filings cost vary, horse hair pound for pound is ten times the price of coir. and the mixes of fibre in between are fractions.

Fabric and filling suitability is made easier for us due to Fire regulations which means most non upholstery fabrics are illegal for us to use so we can say No very easily and legitimately.

http://www.fira.co.uk/publications/flammability-guides here is a guide to the regulations. Anyone importing upholstery into the uk needs to comply with these regs too (Antiques have a different compliance)

As to the Upholders company. Do you actually know me and are in fact are reminding me that i am demonstrating the craft on behalf of the company for three days later this week? if so dont worry i wont forget this most important of events, if not then how funny/coincidental you mention them. They are good guys (and ladies) who every year issue small but helpful bursaries to many students. Every june they asses my students and ultimately my work and honestly do give me feed back if i have missed something.

Alge

kodydog

So Alge are you a member of The Worshipful Company of Upholsters of the City of London?

That web site Tapissier posted makes me want to go to London and learn the ancient skills of the craft of upholstery.

To bad there's nothing like that here in the States. That I know of.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

alge

Hi K.dog

In short no, I'm not a liveryman its a pretty long process starting with becoming a freeman of the company and getting the the freedom of the city (of london) first, to get that first you need to be proposed and seconded which requires a fair bit of dedication and commitment to demonstrate your commitment to the craft, hopefully my efforts are not going un-noticed and in time when the livery feel appropriate I will be invited to step up. to be honest i'm simply happy to repay the company in kind for the help and advice offered to our courses at the moment and if it goes anywhere that all good if not then so be it.

This particular event will be attended by up to 140,000 apprentices from many crafts and trades + school children the aim is to make the young uns think about a career that does'nt rely on celebrity antics. If a few get a better understanding of what a chair is and the skills employed to make one the hope is a few may pursue a career in furniture.

I'm sure if you ever make it to london we could introduce you to some top class upholsterers and some awesome chairs.  :D

tapissier

Hi Algea, who would be the top custom upholstery shop in London?
Thank you

alge

Quote from: tapissier on October 05, 2011, 08:35:25 am
Hi Algea, who would be the top custom upholstery shop in London?
Thank you

Tap, I love your directness, but I cant answer your question, i'm a director of our national trade associstion and represent 400 other members equally.  I'm sorry it may appear lilly livered but I wont be drawn into saying so and so is better than so and so. Besides There are so many faces to best .....best at self promotion.....best at adhearing to confidentiality agreements they sign with their clients so never discuss their work or use example images. I hope you catch my drift.  Who do you think the most prestigious clients in the uk could be? If you work for them you dont shout about it or you loose the contracts sharpish I imagine.

Try contacting the upholders company directly they would no doubt help you out if you asked in a more detailed way, but I image they would answer with a few company names rather than say in a city of 10 million people one company is best at every facet of the craft.

I do hope that helps.

scottymc

Quote from: alge on October 05, 2011, 10:28:32 am

Who do you think the most prestigious clients in the uk could be? If you work for them you dont shout about it or you loose the contracts sharpish I imagine.

I imagine it might be more who you know than what you know, ;), ol lizzy would have so much furniture lying around she would have her own upholstery shop out the back of the stables wouldn't she?

tapissier

Algae, I understand in spite of the fact I can give a list of the best in Paris ( the Upholstery barons), and the best in New york, best in terms of quality, craftsmanship, integrity, "savoir faire", tradition.
To me a top shop is a shop that can create any piece of upholstered furniture according to the laws our ancestors laid down.
A top shop is a shop that does 17th,, 18th 19th and 20th century upholstery technique and fabrication.
Plus wall upholstery and any style of window treatment.
There are such shops in France that have members of the guilds and recipient of the distinctive medal of " meilleur ouvrier de France".
These guys compete between each others and its all about being the best in your trade following tradition and values that deeply rooted in the culture.

In New York its different, there is a different culture and definitely not pro- craftsmanship.
So the ones that succeed have a motivation beyond what we could find in EU, here, you really have to want it, it builds character and it has its pros and cons.
The standards of  the  Upholstery trade in NYC has been set by Italians, a couple of generations ago and the know how has been handed down from father to sons. So what you find in these top shops is a version of  European technique, but Americanized.
In other words, when you build an edge it has to be soft right away, no one has time to brake it down like a new pair of Jeans.
It has to be soft but hold, and that requires  a different hand altogether. The use of synthetic hair is very common and it does help making it all softer.
At any rate I always wandered who's who in the major cities of the world.
Best wishes