Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:35:29 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Price of foam........

Started by baileyuph, January 16, 2016, 07:37:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

January 16, 2016, 07:37:44 pm Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 07:40:22 pm by DB
Observing the oil market lately and understanding that foam we use in upholstering is derived from oil, would not one expect foam to come down in price?

Has it?  I haven't seen lower foam prices or any foam price correlation with gasoline prices
and have to wonder why not?.

Doyle

sofadoc

Foam prices peaked right after Hurricane Katrina in '05. One of only 2 refineries in the US producing the by-product of crude oil that went in to the manufacturing of foam was destroyed.

Just before Katrina I was paying $55 for a 6" sheet of HR foam.
Just after Katrina, the price catapulted to $108.

I'm now paying $73 for that same sheet. That price reflects 2 small decreases in the last 12 months.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Relative to what I paid for a 6" x 24 x 82 inch sheet, that is a seemingly good price today.

One of the qualifying parameters of my purchase was HR 46, nice support but not hard as a rock.  Price was over $125, don't have the numbers in front, but could have been around $140.

Maybe I need to know some vendor names offering better prices?  My price included freight.

Thanks,

Doyle

sofadoc

The foam I'm using is 2.7 density. I get it in either 35 lbs (medium) or 50 lbs. (firm).  Not sure how it would compare to HR 46.

Shipping is free on orders over $100.

www.us-foam.com     

Their website doesn't have any foam info. You'll have to call or e-mail them.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

I haven't had to to order foam lately but haven't been advised of any price adjustments despite the drop in oil. The price of gas also seems only remotely related to the cost of oil. We were paying around $1.299/litre when the price of oil started to drop. Months later we got down to $.895/l , but last week after another drop in oil prices we're back up to $.919. I don't get it.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!