Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 08:50:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Slowing Down your Walking Foot Machine

Started by BlueFlamingo, May 27, 2016, 01:44:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFlamingo

I was too much of a cheapo to buy a Servo Motor soooo, I made this 8" hand Wheel for the head unit which changed the ratio.  I also put a 1 1/2" pulley on the motor.  It's about three times slower and much more manageable.  I put a smurf ball under the pedal and I can now make it sew one stitch at a time when going around corners.  It's made quite a difference.  I made the wheel from 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF glued together and then Bandsawed the circle and put it on the lathe to cut the groove for the belt.    I drilled a 7/32 hole down thru the middle of the belt groove thru to the 1/2" center hole for the head shaft and then threaded a 1/4" allen head set screw into the hole to hold it onto the flat side of the shaft.  I used 5 minute epoxy to glue the two pieces together.  Oh I had to buy a larger belt to and adjust the motor accordingly.  All in all it cost about $15.00 For the parts, glue and belt and took about 2 hours to build and assemble.

It really works GREAT!!!   

gene

Awesome. Thanks for info. That sounds like a great way to make a wheel. My thought is if anything wears out, it would be the set screw first. But other than vibrations I don't think there a lot of tension, is there?

I think this is the first wooden wheel I've seen on this forum.

My reduction wheels came with my Zoji which I put on right away.

"Cheapo" is French for "thriftily creative".

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

My machine came with a clutch motor and I guess when it goes I'll change to the servo.  They are not that expensive and from what I hear - well worth the cost.  My clutch sews one stitch at a time - it's not a walking foot machine.  I'm so used to it that I hope I never have to change anything.  Consew w/a servo would be what I'd go to next.  Customizing parts for your particular needs is something that not everyone can do.  I'm guessing that in a few months you'll realize another little upgrade to what you've already done and the customizing will continue. A  comfortable working platform - what could be better. What kind of machine is that pictured ?

SA

Darren Henry

Very resourceful and looks very well made although I would have used plywood instead of MDF.

QuoteI put a smurf ball under the pedal

You may have your foot in the wrong spot. If your ankle is right over top the pivot point of the treadle you can go from full brake to free wheeling to let 'er rip by just rocking your foot. This gives you the most control over the treadle.

QuoteI'm guessing that in a few months you'll realize another little upgrade to what you've already done and the customizing will continue

I've always wanted a 2-3 speed transmission. Put her in bull low for the real finicky stuff and road gear for grain tarps etc...---my neighbour has a couple of old mountain bikes behind his shed..... Dang!! now you've got me started LOL
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

Not familiar with the term "smurfball,"  I had to look it up **shocked** (and don't think you meant other than a toy rubber ball with a smurf on it.

As the old saying goes, "Necessity of invention is a mother."  Or something like that.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

Some nice quick drying lacquer should put the finish on that project.

good day there
Floyd

BlueFlamingo

Actually I thought about using Plywood but...Unless you used the Really Good expensive stuff with Multiple Plies it would not be as good as the MDF. MDF is very stable and Unless it gets wet Is perfect for this application.  I did seal it with Sanding Sealer but I didn't want it to Slick so the belt would have some BITE.  My machine is a Vintage REX  11-155R  I had problems getting her to sew properly at first.  Finally discovered the hook had a miniscule burr on it .  Once I got that sanded out and polished she's sewing like a brand new machine.  I've since made another wheel for a friend and painted it Gloss Black.  He didn't Like it due to the fact that it didn't slide on his hand as well.  Told him to wax it.  Not sure if he ever did.  I meant a NERF Ball not a Smurf Ball!!!! :)

mrsocks

When I re-entered the business (what was I thinking?) I was intrigued with the "new" servo motors on the machines. When I bought my Seiko the guy said that if a clutch was what I learned on I should not try the servo type. A year later I was able to try my same model machine with a servo, and that guy was right. Servo has it's own set of problems not the least of which is lack of power. Glad I stuck with "old school". I need to go fast as well as slow. I can sew one stitch (or less!) just by keeping my foot tappin', just like I was taught so many decades ago. I have noticed, also, that the wheels ARE smaller, the lights less maneuverable, and when I removed all the safety parts and pieces and guards and such they filled a shoebox!
Socks

gene

I've heard on this forum and read other places that you need to get a servo that is powerful enough for your specific machine. There are many servos being sold for cheap that need to build up torque to go through leather, for example.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

The two servos I have came with the machines so they might just be matched to the sewing head. I never considered the need to match the motor to the need. But that makes good sense.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website