Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 03:48:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hot To: Vinyl Boat Seats-Inside Curves

Started by BlueFlamingo, March 02, 2016, 09:47:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFlamingo

Potential Customer sent me these "Disaster Pics" from a FAILED upholstery job.  Needless to say he was NOT happy with the results. the guy threw away the Old covers and presented him with this.  He's in a lawsuit now.  Went to another shop and they told him they couldn't do it and told him to go to the factory for replacements.  It's a 2009 boat.  Wanted me to quote it.  Trouble is...I've NEVER done big inside curves like this and really not sure how to go about it.  Seeking advice from the PRO's on how to go about it.  4 way stretch vinyl??  Glue??  Walk Away.  HELP!!!

SteveA

When I hear the word lawyers or lawsuit - there's better work choices for us -

SA

BlueFlamingo

Yeah, I thought about that too but...If i tried to collect on such shoddy work and I destroyed a customers property I guess I could expect no less. ::)

MinUph

Walk away. If your not experienced in this. You won't learn on this one.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Virgs Sew n Sew

March 02, 2016, 04:48:34 pm #4 Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 07:15:37 pm by Virgs Sew n Sew
I think that if you had seen the original covers, and the original foam, it would not be a big deal to do these curves.  Each, or most of, the different colors of vinyl have their own piece of foam.  You sew a strip of vinyl along the inside seam or welting, and I'm thinking the originals were probably welted.  You have to make relief cuts along the inside piece of vinyl.  You staple that vinyl to the board and that keeps the curves stretched tightly to the foam.  I hope this makes sense but I did several sets of boat seats in the last several years that were fashioned in that way.  Curves were nice and tight.  Ended up looking fabulous!!!

Virginia

Darren Henry

QuoteI think that if you had seen the original covers, and the original foam, it would not be a big deal to do these curves

And her assessment of the process is right.

But, as Paul mentioned you haven't tackled this from scratch like this before and the guy is going to be extra fussy after that rip off. I'd either bail or high ball and explain that you need extra time to make correct patterns, possible repair foam that  was damaged etc...

Those are a real bearcat. You have to pattern to very exact and still fight to make the foam fill it out right. I haven't done one of those a couple of years and would find it a challenge again.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

Is that about a 300.+ (materials(+ markup)) @ 5hs for the big piece, 8 for me at least. but no foam work, or travel so it is the lot out front.
I'm inclined to listen to the others, no matter how the owners talk it up, your fixing another's work and that's fine somebody will. But realistically that money is gone, or they have serious issue considering the repair requirement of tear down and "any" new materials.
( this might not be their chosen fault) but generally being cheap results as this :)
I have done re-working repairs of the back alley street buddy bro field mechanics that turned out the very same quality, whew! so confidence in your self is not the question.
What is though  " is this how I want to start this style learn project".   
If your gonna fight give yourself the choice to pick when, thumbs up either choice from me 8)
Floyd

brmax

I did so much smoke blowing before I didn't say what I initially thought to answer and that's addressing the glue. I don't think its the right direction to use on any foam to vinyl in the inside curve. I say that because I think first using what Virginia said using the tie in and staple piece, not sure the name, but also seeing the makeup of the back here is a curious interest. Is it the plastic types. ? If so how were the parts obtained by the other trimmer.
I would be interested to know what material they did use, I don't think I would choose 4way. seams look pretty darn good from my 400 zoomy screen
good morning
Floyd

Mike

that is just awfull, there should be what some call a pull or listing between the white and red were the black piping seam is to pull in and staple.

ive seen people use a fabric backed sew foam glued to the inside of the vinyl with the fabric and vinyl sandwiching the foam then when curved cause wrinkles. but what I think the guy problem was was .. with curved plastic backs when removed from the boat they are flexable.  not having the same radius on the table as installed in the boat. they can look great on the work table then installinh they need more curve, just a bit will cause these wrinkles. im able to get perfect pttern from the old skinsl a old member June here used to sghorten the inside piece over exageratng the curve so installing would straed out the curve tighting the skin. if I have to make new pattern I require acces to the boat at my shop or more money to travel to the boat and pattern in place.   

Darren Henry

Quotewith curved plastic backs when removed from the boat they are flexable.  not having the same radius on the table as installed in the boat. they can look great on the work table then installinh they need more curve,

Good point Mike. As much as possible I throw the old cover on the floor for a reference and pattern from the foam for just that reason.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

they was a article in the marine fabricator about soing inside curves and feting a pattern from the old deformed skins.  its gone now online

brmax

I would like to take a look at that. I haven't did much searching for back copies online lately, just looked at some of the present months and topics on their list to the side. If its last year I have them all under a table, I should tag them.
I will take a look, thanks for the tip. But just in case of home work the dog probably ate the mag.
good day there
Floyd

brmax

Hey Boss heres a link to something close, I looked in the magazine pile I got, but didn't see any so far, for the 2014-15
Glancing through this one does promote the listing and stapling a bit

http://marinefabricatormag.com/2010/09/01/designing-an-inside-curve/

BlueFlamingo

Well from what the Owner says the Original covers were just white and grey.  He had the New guy change the color scheme.  I've done cured seats before so I am familiar with the staple and crevice concept to pull the vinyl taught.  Just want to see if this was what you thought would be the case for these.  this guy lives 100 miles from me so It's not that easy to do an onsite inspection of how they are constructed.  I WILL be starting from scratch and NOT trying to salvage the previous work unless by some freak of fate I can actually make his covers work.  IF, BIG IF, I actually take on this project, I'll keep you posted.

As always, Thanks for your expert advice!!!!  Much Appreciated!!!!

Mike