Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 02:17:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Shop-Built Speed Reducer for Clutch Motor.

Started by BlueFlamingo, February 04, 2016, 05:38:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFlamingo

I have an old REX 11-155r WF machine and after doing everything slow it down( 1 1/2 " pulley, extending motor arm etc)  I decided to try and build my own version of a Speed Reducer.  I did and it works. Great.  Made exclusively from plywood and Pine.  I've made a few others and they were made Totally from MDF and work just as well.  I also used a 10" x 1/2" bolt for the shaft and it worked just fine too.  That cut the costs to under $10 bucks.  I used 2- 1/2" bore bearings, a 12" piece of 1/2" shafting(cut down to 9") 2- 1/4" bolts.  Total costs...$15 bucks.  the Ones Online costs $225.00  It works GREAT!!!  Slows the machine to 1/2 speed and makes it sooooo much easier to use.  A bigger diameter pulley would slow it down even more.  Mine is 8" with at 2 1/2" on the side going to machine.  So if any of you want to calculate the reduction it's 1 1/2" to 10" then 2 1/2" to the Machine.  Not sure what it is  Maybe 4 ".    Here's a pic of what I made.

I made up some rudimentary plans and instructions if anyone's interested.  Send me and email and I send them along. Super easy to build  Takes about 4 hours shop time.  Band Saw,  Table Saw, Router and Drill Press

SteveA

February 05, 2016, 04:06:45 am #1 Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:07:58 am by SteveA
That looks beyond beginning woodworking and I guess you turned the pulley round using the drill press ?  Nice work - and satisfying I'm sure. Patent Time !
I have a clutch motor - old as the hills and it sews from zero to full out as easy as pie. Always in full control.   I often wonder if my old motor goes will I upgrade to the servo type motor.  I don't mind working slower with the clutch motor but those servo motors are tempting
SA

BlueFlamingo

I made the 8" circle with a rudimentary circle cutting jig on the bandsaw...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uem-9Wz1Dt8    then cut the groove in it on the router table, but you can do it all at the same time on a table saw with a simple jig...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDRyH_ZG314 
Or on the router table...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmGXE8dmn2g 

The rest is done on the Table Saw and Drill press.  It is Really pretty basic stuff.  Like I said,  I drew up some plans if anyone's interested.  Hey,  If I can build it I'm pretty sure anyone with basic skills, can build one too.

Darren Henry

QuoteSo if any of you want to calculate the reduction it's 1 1/2" to 10" then 2 1/2" to the Machine.  Not sure what it is  Maybe 4 ".

Just to prove how badly I want to postpone tonight's domestics I will do the math;

The circumference of the large pulley is 31.1429 ". The smaller pulley has a diameter of 7.8573". Net reduction would be 3.9636:1. Simply comparing the diameters would give the same result---but kill a lot less time. grin.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!