Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 08:46:27 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Wing Back

Started by BlueFlamingo, August 12, 2014, 09:19:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFlamingo

I just do this for fun!!!  I Think!!!  I started out cuz I was to cheap to pay to have my boat seats done so I did em myself with an old Morse Machine.  I've since upgraded to a Rex Walking foot.  Done some other work etc and Now my daughter talked me into re doing a Wing Back Chair.   Bought the Chair at a Thrift Store for $10 bucks.  Paid $20 bucks for the material on Clearance.  Took about 10 hours to do the work with her helping me.  We neither one knew what we were doing!!!!  Found some videos on YouTube and then started tearing it apart.   She did not want the Pillow back style so we re-did it into a single padded back.  I used an electric carving knife to shape the foam.  Used foam from an Old "Donor Couch" we got free from Craigslist" for the back cushion. I Guess it turned out OK.  Let me know what you think.  I'm thinking about when I retire in a couple of years of doing some upholstery work as a side line but I'm not sure if I'm good enough.  My wife says maybe, my daughter and son say yes.  I just don't know.

SteveA

Looks fine - you're onto another business in a couple of years - good luck - keep posting
SA

Darren Henry

Very nice job. I'm sure having a welt sewn in between the I/S and O/S wing like that didn't do your bar tab any favours LOL.

Time wise---for a first go at a wing back, in a shop that you don't have set up just for upholstery, and probably improvising for some tools etc... You made good time.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't/shouldn't go for it if that is what you want to do. I'm sure you'll do fine and we're always here for 'ya if need something. As Red Green always says "I'm pullin' for 'ya... we're all in this together "
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Judging from the photos, I'd say yes.

What really works to your advantage............is you're already way ahead of the learning curve....... PLUS you won't be under pressure to pay bills with your earnings.

I'll give you the same warning that I give everyone who is thinking about getting into this biz.

If you start out doing cut-rate jobs for friends, you'll soon discover friends that you never knew you had.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

The chair and the car seats look very nice. You may have found your new thing. You must have some talent or it would not come out that good, I know upholsterers that have been doing this for many many years that only wish they could do it so well. Keep it up and enjoy.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

QuoteIf you start out doing cut-rate jobs for friends, you'll soon

Amen, and as discussed lately it hurts your credibility, gets you the garbage work everyone else has turned down and it's tough to get your rates back on track if you start too low. You can always knock a few quid off 'cause it went well and impress your customer.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

BlueFlamingo

I appreciate your kind words.  I enjoy the work more than I thought I would.  Not looking to "Get Rich" but I would like to supplement the Retirement Funds a bit.  I was self employed back in my earlier years and learned a bit about bidding jobs so I plan to put that knowledge back into effect.  When they start to say No and walk out the door I'll know I'm asking too much and I can start backing off my prices!!!!

Again Thanks to all.  I've already learned a LOT from this site and plan on learning and asking a LOT More!!!

Mike

bobbin

I think that looks nice.  But, I'm not an upholsterer.  ;)  What's with the white fabric on the outside back?

Lol @ Sofa.'s comment about friends you never knew you had. 

BlueFlamingo

August 14, 2014, 08:11:49 am #8 Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:25:04 am by BlueFlamingo
The White Cover Fabric on the Back was my Daughters idea.  She said the chair will sit in a corner all it's life and no one will ever see the back so why not just use the cheap white cover fabric!!  I didn't argue!!!

bobbin

Probably the best course of action... .  I like the pattern of the fabric very much. 

Virgs Sew n Sew

Those are fabulous!  I'm bidding on a pair now.  If I get the job, I hope they turn out half as nice as yours have!

Virginia