Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 04:56:53 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Full Cover Runabout Cover

Started by BlueFlamingo, June 30, 2014, 12:53:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFlamingo

June 30, 2014, 12:53:26 pm Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:10:21 pm by BlueFlamingo
I restored this 1961 LoneStar and I want to try and keep her looking good.  She's Old but she's paid for and she's mine!!!

I want to try and keep her looking good so I want to try and sew a Cover for her. The seats are all removable so there won't be any "Bumps" to worry about for the cover except for the Bow Accessories,  Gunwale cleats and the Stern light.  I'm a Wanna-Be Upholsterer with an old REX 11-155R Walking foot. I cut my teeth doing the upholstery on my boat and it turned out pretty good.  I made the rear bench seat from scratch and that's the only "Free Hand Patterning" I've ever done.

Never done any thing this big before.   How would you go about making a pattern for for a Full cover for this boat?  She's 15ft by 5 1/2Ft at the Beam.  I think I can handle the bump outs for the Horn, cleats and light but welcome tips for those as well.  Instead of a draw string I'm thinking of grommets for bungee tie downs to the trailer.  Is there a better way?  Is a draw string better?  I'm not Totally stupid, but specific details would make me a happy camper...  What recommended materials to use etc.  I'm a C.O.B. so don't want to "Break the Bank" on this project.  I'm guessing about 8yds of fabric to do the job.  Also thinking of possibly gluing Fleece to the back side of the fabric (sunbrella or something similar) to hold down on the abrasion.  Is this a good idea or would the glue not hold up.  I use 3M High Strength 90 Spray Adhesive and it seems to stick really well.  Also what have you guys used to help with waterproofing boat covers???

Your thoughts and recommendations are readily accepted??

Mike

June 30, 2014, 02:50:06 pm #1 Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:54:02 pm by Mike
first the best soft liner ive seen is made by Outdura there
Trio canvas outdura looks just like sunbrella but the trio is like a flannel lined  I used it once on a big fountain cover to protect the painted hull
As far as patterning the cover I don't see a horn but I would start by running strapng tape available at ace hardware down the senter of the boat start at the bow pull tight over the window and to back to the stern the cover would be off the bow elevated and pitch fore and aft shedding water you get some 2 sided transfer tape and blue painters tape run the tape alopng the rubrail with the transfer tape on the blue tape then get some 6 mill clear plastic at the pait dept at home depot and tape the plastic on the top of the boat from the center strapping tape to the rubrail transfer tape the bow in front ot the window then the stern half from window bact then do the same ant pattern from the rubrail down the side covering the hull sides making alignment mark at all seams  id bind the bottom edge and install sew reinforcement 1" webbing on the inside and at intervals along each side take canvas and fold it making triangles of multiple layer with a grommet or strap with nylon bucklec like a life jacket hass to secure the cover tight to the trailer,

here is a example of a boat I patterned reciently, I only pattern one side and duplicate it for the other  

ps I forgot you will need a morring support tent pole to hold the cover up in the vovkpit vent so port it a easy to install vent the fit on the vanvas and the pole can fit under to hold it up and as far as the anchor light in just cut a hole in the plastic pattern for it then measure how tall it is above the pattern and make a sock to fit over it

JuneC

Kool old boat! 

That light mast doesn't come off easily?  If not, I guess you can make a tube for it (in your cover material) that slips down over. 

Like Mike said, get the 6 mil paint tarp at Home Depot and using tape/stapler/whatever, basically make your cover out of plastic.  Take it off, cut it up, and use that to template your canvas, adding 1/2" seam allowances on all sides.  Mark it before you separate the pieces so you know what goes where.  I always liked to draw lines across the seams and label them with letters - e.g., A----A, B-----B, etc.  It keeps you from getting lost when you're reassembling.  Several companies make canvas with fleece backing that negates the need for adding a separate soft layer. 

BTW, nice job on the seats. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

BlueFlamingo

Thanks Soooooo much for your kind replies!!!  Much appreciated.  The pic REALLY helped Mike!!!  I'll give it a go with the plastic and take pics and post them to make sure I'm understanding what you mean.  Yeah the horn, light and flag mast are not on the boat in that pic.  YOu will see them in the next pics I post.  She's got a new motor now too!!!

June I appreciate you kind comments about my upholstery attempt.  There's alot of mistakes that you can't see but I learned a lot and am getting better each time I sit down and try.  The Walking foot sure makes things easier.  I really appreciate everyone's willingness to share their knowledge here on the forum.

Mike

heres a front shot shoing how I run tape over the middle and pattern one half

BlueFlamingo

July 02, 2014, 07:24:41 am #5 Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:27:35 am by BlueFlamingo
Ok, I gotcha.  Thanks again.  Very Helpful.  Like the say...Pic is worth a 1.000 words!!!!