Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 02:45:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

general labor pricing-auto upholstery

Started by belair54, July 30, 2011, 07:48:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

belair54

I am getting ready to start in the auto interior business and wondered if anyone had any kind of general guidelines they use for pricing jobs on autos--mainly hours and general $$ you would charge.  I realize as a beginner it will take me longer to do a job than those experienced, but I need some guidelines to refer to so I know what it should take so I can learn to kick productivity up to where I can make a good living eventually.  I plan to focus primarily on restoration and custom work as I have connections with friends in the restoration/hot rod area.

kodydog

With furniture I give the piece a quick once over while asking myself, how long will this take. Once I figure that out I go back and look for any extra work it will need (frame work, springs, foam replaced ect.). I figure what I need to make per hour and come up with a price. Some people on this forum have been doing it a long time, their in a good location, have a good reputation, and have built up a good client base. Their at a point where they can charge more and work less.

When you first start your business keep in mind quality over quantity. Speed will come with experience. Your speed will also increase as your able to afford the right tools.

When I first opened my business (after working in a factory for 6 years) it was not unusual to see my shop lights on at 10 or 11 o'clock at night. Worked many long hours just to make ends meet. As time goes by it does get easier.

It'll also help to take a business course or two at the local collage or contact SCORE and find out about the different business seminars they have. Bookkeeping is a big part of running a business and you wont be able to hire a bookkeeper right off.

Having connections will be a big help and there is money to be made in restoration and custom work.

Good luck and let us know how your doing. Tons of good info if you hit the search button.

Love to see some pics of that 54 Belair
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MTupguy

I did a job back in my hometown and needed some small supplies... went to a well est. auto upholstery shop in my hometown and they were charging $60/hr.  My former employer charged $50/hr, and maybe it had gone up to $55, with his well established furniture-only business.  Starting out, we won't do this much, unless our markets say we can.  I won't disclose my rates, but it's quite less than what these guys are doing until I get more acquainted with what my abilities are and see how much I am burning myself.  Lots of these guys say don't start too low or you may get stuck there later on... good advice, but don't charge premium yet... you need to attract clientel, and later on they should understand if your rates go up... especially if you give them a good product consistently.