Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 06:46:59 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How to sew an inset panel

Started by mpm32, February 06, 2011, 04:34:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mpm32

I made a tuck and roll panel that I would like to inset into a panel. I tried to make a test piece, I traced the tuck and roll panel, then I drew lines toward the inside the width of my seam allowance. I then tried to sew it to the tuck and roll piece. I'm having trouble getting the corners to lay flat.

How do you sew this?

I'm trying to replicate the lines that were heat stamped into the original vinyl on my boat.

JuneC

For a 1/2" seam allowance, you need to have a 1" overlap.  Sounds like you're on the right track, drawing a line inside, but it needs to be double the seam allowance - 1" for a 1/2" seam allowance.  Think about it for a minute.  For each piece - your inset and your panel - to each have a 1/2" allowance, you need 1" total. 

Your panel will need to have snips in the corners (or on the inside curve) to permit sewing and still have it lay flat with no puckers or wrinkles.  For instance, if the inside arc of the curve on your panel is 3", you seam might be 4" because it's further out from the center.  In order to make 3" flip back to that arc, it needs snips - how many depends on how tight a curve you're dealing with.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

SHHR

Same here with what June said. One thing I've done too on the corners to lay flat on what you're describing is to trim the sew foam away at the seam allowance only. Doing this will keep that foam from possibly "bunching up" under the foot when running it through, however if you didn't glue the foam to vinyl to start with you may have to tack the edges of foam down with a shot of glue to the pleated piece.
Kyle

mpm32

Thanks for the advice.  I'm going to give it another go. 

My tuck and roll panel came out nice so I'd like to use it. 

If I can't make it work, I think I'm going to topstich the design in.  I did a test piece with a contrasting thread the same color as the new carpet and it looks good and will be easier for me to do.

mpm32

Well after fooling around with it some more I couldn't make it work to my satisfaction.

So, I went with the topstich design.  Once I made that decision, I was able to finish the observers seat bottom skin in a couple of hours.  Which is nice because I've been messing around with the tuck and roll panel on and off for weeks.  Nice to finally get moving.

This is my first upholstery project and I told my wife by the time I get to the last piece it will look so much better than this first piece that I might have to do it over, even though I think it came out pretty good - lol.

I'll take some pics...

JuneC

Good for you!  Doing a tuck and roll inset is way ambitious for a first upholstery project.  Don't beat yourself up about moving on to another idea.  Can't wait to see the pics!

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

mpm32

February 08, 2011, 05:48:01 pm #6 Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:49:50 pm by mpm32
Here are some pics, keep in mind the skin is just sitting on the foam and not stapled to the seat base yet.   I'm pretty sure it will look nicer once I do that. I do think that by the time I get to my last piece in this boat I will look at this first one fondly and then do it over as I'm sure I'll get better as I go.

mpm32

Working on the seat back for this seat. 

I want to have something embroidered near the top of the seat back.

I was thinking of bringing it to the embroidery place after I make the skin.  Will they have an issue with this?

Should I just bring them the unfinished panel before I do the top stitching and assembly?

SHHR

February 11, 2011, 06:06:02 am #8 Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:09:25 am by SHHR
I always just cut an over sized piece of vinyl or fabric and take that to the shop that embroiders. That way there's nothing extra which might get in the way of the machine, and that way too I can guarantee that I'll get the embroidery centered on the finished piece.
Kyle

I just thought also that if your finished piece is backed with sew foam, that may be too thick for the embroidery machine.

mpm32

February 11, 2011, 06:14:38 am #9 Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:49:41 am by mpm32
I thought of doing that but I'm afraid I will mess up that piece once embroidered.

The topstitched center seat piece in the pic is the second one I made, I messed up the first one - lol.