Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 06:39:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Wood Business may be growing

Started by baileyuph, September 26, 2013, 05:56:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Few days ago, I mentioned that a customer had me make new backrest frames for not very old new furniture - it was made in Asia (Vietnam).  During that project I made good patterns and saved them, the idea that this would't be the last request was on my mind.

Well, what do you know, I now have more of that work to do.  This relates to upholstery for it has to be removed and reinstalled on the new frames I build. 

This type of business may be growing, I was told by a customer that they were glad they found someone who would do this work. 

We will see, any way, I am still employed!  With the patterns and experience already, time to do this type of work is already in my favor. 

I was asked by one customer which I liked better wood or upholstery work?  I explained both give greater insights into the industry and enjoyed that aspect of the activity.  Of course money is a pretty important driver also.  The activity is detailed, exacting to a degree and adds another dimension.

This latest project, again there was no or virtually no glue even in the plywood.  The upholstery is high tech, manufacturing capabilities in Asia are interesting but in my opinion, price is driving what they do and that is what consumers want - PRICE!!

I located a sheet of much higher quality plywood, thanks to Keith.
Doyle

Mojo

Mike802 builds furniture from the ground up. I believe he makes all of his own frames, etc. and everything is very high quality which is reflected in his price.

It was pretty interesting to see and he has made several videos of his work and how he did it.
I myself would love to have that type of talent to build a nice living room outfit.

I think your doing exactly what Mike is doing Doyle.

Chris

sofadoc

I've done a lot of those type repairs. But I've never built a new frame from scratch. For the most part, I brace new wood to the back of the old wood with a lot of screws and glue, and add corner blocks. When I get done, the back frame weighs nearly twice as much.

It may not be the optimum way to go about it, but the repaired back frame will definitely outlast the rest of the recliner.

I just don't understand buying a cheap recliner, and then paying someone to re-build the frame.
They've still got cheap springs, cheap foam, cheap mechanism, etc.

But hey, if they want to pay for it......I'll take their money.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

I just don't understand buying a cheap recliner, and then paying someone to re-build the frame.
They've still got cheap springs, cheap foam, cheap mechanism, etc.
Sofadoc

If it's getting rebuilt it may be due to someone else paying.  Unfortunately the public buys cheap because of the idea that it's cheaper to buy new than redo an existing piece. 
SA

baileyuph

October 05, 2013, 05:47:12 pm #4 Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 05:56:30 am by DB
Picked up some more wood repair work today, customer wants six dining room chair frames made stronger.  The chairs won't show up until some time next week but the thrust of the matter is the chairs seemingly have to be repaired because, as you can guess, match the rest.

I rebuilt the seats last month (pads were brought in) and that went over well because they wanted things firm and firm they got.

So, the plan is to bring the frames and get them stronger.  I will be trying to guess what the issues are with that until they arrive.  I suspect it is loose leg issues.  

All new popular priced dining room chairs are a problem waiting to happen.  It is either spend and get quality, much higher, or do what they are doing.  To buy new like they have, I don't see that as wise.

Bottom line to all this is .....wood repair business is picking up.  

What else is there to do if relatively new breaks, when buying new again, for most, ends up being a short term fix?

My how this business has changed over the years.  It has been a learning experience for me.

Doyle

baileyuph

Business is interesting, last week the business included repairing/replacing failed wood framing on Asian made stuff (like the masses buy today).  Word got around and there is loads of that coming in this week.  The rational seems to be, "make it stronger".  Not complaining, boat work and auto restoration is down.  Been lucky, something else seems to fill the space.  Not too long ago, the wood working equipment was collecting dust.

Doyle 

baileyuph

Yep!  Wood repairs continue to come in and no complaining.

In repairing wood on newer furniture is dealing with the metal devices used in assembling the tables and such.  They are cleaver, Asian producers can "knock down" the products to save shipping cost, but they won't stay tight after assembly.

I have tried a few things to get them to stay tight, executed wood repair methods to keep them tight also, like the inserts screwed into one piece that has a machine thread to take on an adjoing piece. 

Learning never ceases in this business, every time things change in producing factories, it starts the process all over again.

Working on some of the wood tables requires all machine bolts and allen wrenches, the poblem has changed from glue, wood dowels and clamps, unfortunately for the consumers in every way except price. 

Go cheap, you sometimes get cheap, but how many can afford to spend "a lot of money"?

Doyle