Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 02:48:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Consew motor problems

Started by Virginia Taylor, December 05, 2014, 12:31:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virginia Taylor

Motor running good but when I push down pedal it seems to slip will not move machine.  What's wrong
Virginia Taylor
All American Etc Upholstery
Jacksonville, AR

sofadoc

December 05, 2014, 12:56:46 pm #1 Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:46:49 pm by sofadoc
Assuming that your belt tension is fine, there's one other thing that I've encountered.

Inside the motor, there is a cork pad glued to the clutch plate. Sometimes they come unglued with age. You can remove the pulley and the 3 main housing bolts, and slide the housing off just far enough to peek inside to see if that's what happened. If so, you can re-glue the pad with most any kind of contact cement.

When mine did this, I could turn the motor off, and as it was winding down, I could hear the pad rolling around inside the motor.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

QuoteAssuming that your belt tension is fine

and that the set screw or keyway that locks the pulley on the drive shaft are set---proceed as Dennis suggested.

I have seen bobbin thread get sucked in and wound around until it knocked the belt off or tightened the tension to  the point that the motor could not turn the machine.

What model of Consew is it? And does it sew okay if you turn the flywheel by hand? I know the 225's and 226's that are copies of the 111W155 singer have in internal safety clutch that will kick out before the timing goes if they get jammed. It is the other button on the deck that you don't use to change stitch length. Depress and hold while turning the handwheel backwards and it should "click" back into place if that's the issue.

I have had to change a few timing belts on these machines also. If the head does not stitch by hand; flip it up and check your timing belt. If the rubber "teeth" on the inside of the belt have gone your needle will oscillate , but your feed dogs will be dead in the water. 

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

Do you have a safety clutch on your Consew? I've got one on my Juki LU 562 (the 563 has a bigger bobbin), and the first time it did it's thing I was baffled as to what the H E Double Hockey Sticks was going on.

Darren
QuoteI have seen bobbin thread get sucked in and wound around until it knocked the belt off or tightened the tension to  the point that the motor could not turn the machine.

My daughter has long hair and the beater bar on her upright vacuum (high end expensive vacuum) stopped spinning earlier this year. I took it apart and strands of her long hair had collected around the beater bar near the ball bearing so tight that it stopped it from being able to spin. I didn't know hair could be so strong.

And yes, even more so for thread. And especially if it's monofilament thread.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

BigJohn

I think it would be a good time to give Bob Kovar a call and order a Servo motor and swap it out!

John

bobbin

Recently, I was a "lazy bones" about removing the looper thread for the safety stitch on my overlock machine.  I opted to "tie it off" (as I've done countless times before) even though I knew better...

The machine started sending up white smoke and a distinctly burnt smell after prolong work at high speed.  Yup! looper thread was wound tightly around the shaft... so tightly in fact, that it started to melt.  I kid you not! it took me over an hour to patiently cut through the melted mess and remove the accumulated gunk.  It runs fine now, but what a mess!  Doesn't pay to be lazy, I guess.