Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 10:07:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Light show

Started by Mike, December 12, 2014, 05:24:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Last night  I came across this wild display it was an entire square block 2 houses with large lots I was half way around before I remembered my camera then when I did my battery went dead before the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBo-MDz-3Gw

Virgs Sew n Sew

It is pretty amazing.  As a bleeding heart liberal, I always think that Jesus would be more honored by spending the money that your light bill increases on stocking a food pantry or adopting a family.  I'm not against lights but I think that the smaller displays are more in keeping with what the season used to be about.

Virginia

byhammerandhand

My neighbor does a pretty over-the-top display.  Every year he says, "This is the last year," then he adds more the next year and can't stop because several people have commented on it.  Usually takes 3-4 weeks to put up.  I firmly believe their life's motto is, "If it's worth doing, it's worth over doing*"

It's so bad that when I describe to people where I live, they usually ask, "Is that the house with the display at ..." and I interrupt, "No, that's my neighbor."

People that know us always express condolences at this time of year.

We're having a party tomorrow and it's easy to tell people how to find us, but remind them not to get glazed over or they'll miss our driveway.

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday and the doctor asked if my neighbor had his display up yet.

* Yes, Gene, that's "Squirrel Lady's" husband.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Virgs Sew n Sew

So, if one of your neighbor's had issues with the display do they have any recourse or do you just suck it up or move? 

I saw an article on yahoo the other day, didn't read it but it was a guy like your neighbor.  Something like 44,000 lights which is beyond my imagination.  Anyway, he's now eclipsed his yard and is using his neighbor's as well.  I'm assuming the neighbor agreed.

I would go bat sh*t crazy if one of our neighbors did that.  I love the small displays, they were a huge part of our Christmas Eve tradition when I was a kid.  There was a 3 block section of town where everyone decorated, nothing huge but they were fabulous displays.  Piped in music that you could hear even with your car windows rolled up (December in Nebraska in the good old days).  The cars going to look at those displays were lined up for blocks every night for like 2 weeks before Christmas and through New Year's Eve.  Anyway, every Christmas Eve, we would go look at the displays.  Inevitably, every year my father would "lose" the car keys and we would be stuck out in the car freezing our tails off.  One year I tried to get in the house to help him find them and, you guessed it, the door was locked.  We would be out in an unheated, parked, non running car for 45 minutes to an hour and just when I couldn't stand it anymore, he'd come running out of the house having miraculously found his keys.  Then we'd go look at the displays, go to midnight mass and amazingly enough when we got home, Santa Claus had come.  I was such a gullible child, I never figured out that Dad was putting all the presents under the tree and, as a photographer, he had to shoot a full roll of film to document the event while we froze our tush's off.  I'm not sure what I was more upset about, Dad lying to us about losing his keys or finding out there was no Santa Claus flying around the earth on Christmas Eve.  : o  I still love the concept of Christmas and Santa but the commerm of it is hideous.

Virginia