Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 03:10:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Processed Leather

Started by baileyuph, March 13, 2013, 06:26:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

March 13, 2013, 06:26:34 am Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:54:09 pm by DB
A lot has been said about processed, recycled, or imitation leather in terms of quality or lack of quality.

Recently, there has been a lot of furniture covered in processed leather, it comes to the business less than a year old.  Yesterday, there was a stand alone recliner that came in with the problem of the material peeling on the backrest.  After inspection, I asked how old?  It was something around a year but the problem was noted before it became a year old.  The customer got a replacement cover from the retailer/factory and I installed it.  

The customer asked the question:  "This material obviously isn't good, why would I not expect the replacement to do the same within a year?"  I didn't give an opinion, just asked if so, does the warranty cover it again?   

After inspecting the old processed leather that was replaced, the thickness of the actual surface layer is so thin, I really question if it will last six months.  

In my honest opinion, a good quality vinyl would last longer, perhaps a lot longer.

Are there differing qualities of processed leather?  I suspect so, but do not know.  There are different qualities of cow hide leather.  In researching this issue, leather quality, the technical report explained that in order to keep cost of leather down,  the hide is cut (split) actually into several layers and each layer becomes less durable.  The top layer is the best quality, the top grain.  Splitting keeps the cost down and most consumers don't know the difference.

Another point the technical article reiterated was the process steps taken in preparing the leather is critical to providing a quality hide to work with.  It did emphasize that each step is expensive, or can be to produce a quality leather and if any are deleted to reduce leather cost, buyer be ware!  So, no matter what one buys, it seems there are ways to keep cost down at the risk of compromising on quality.

Another lasting point of the tech report read is; the leather processed in Germany is the most expensive and by experts, is given the highest quality rating.  In my experience, with automotive interiors (replacements and repairs) I would have to give these comments from the report my vote as the leather used in the German cars has been the most impressive.  Matter of fact while working on a Mercedes recently, the original leather was in impressive condition for a seat built in the eighties.  Also as a side note, the German attention to detail in the overall upholstery could not be unnoticed.  

So, the experience of working with materials on both ends of the leather spectrum, processed leather on the recliner back to repair of the older leather interior of the Mercedes,  conclusion is;  Cost of leather goes along with the quality being bought.  Processed leather is just another case where the consumer's whatever; lack of knowledge or ability to buy,  has driven the quality of materials being used.

The expression; "They don't make them like they used to" is true in a lot of cases but quickly suggest "If they did you couldn't afford it!"  

Some truth in the latterl

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on March 13, 2013, 06:26:34 am
The customer asked the question:  "This material obviously isn't good, why would I not expect the replacement to do the same within a year?"
I ask that same question myself a lot. I'll get in a warranty job where the customer is complaining of flat foam. The factory simply sends me new foam cores that are exactly like the old ones (except they haven't been sat on for a few months yet).

I tell the store manager "There's absolutely no reason to think that the problem won't reoccur." I'll suggest that I substitute the factory replacement foam with some of MY stock foam. When I quote them a price, they usually opt to just use the factory foam.

Fine with me. You can pay me now............AND pay me later.

Quote from: DB on March 13, 2013, 06:26:34 am
So, no matter what one buys, it seems there are ways to keep cost down at the risk of compromising on quality.
That sounds like a fancy way of saying "You get what you pay for" ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Yep, processed leather is cheaper and I am encouraged to ask:  Does it look like a woven cloth is starting to take hold again as the choice?  I think I am seeing more cloth than, for example a year ago on the new stuff.

What about recliners, are we seeing fewer of these on the show room floor?  I want to say yes to that one also.  Well, if so, I ask what took them so long?  LOL.

What is it they say, some part of the time, all part of the time, but none all the time?

Maybe we are moving into the latter stage of marketing?

This doesn't suggest we will again see mostly brand name furniture (for example Thomasville) in stores again as consumers choice. 

Doyle

Cheryl

I am a small biz..  my reputation is on the line with everything that goes out the door.  I inspect every new sample book and lately have set some aside as too risky to sell. 

With warranty work, the monkey is on the store's back, not ours.  And  my stores are pretty good about repairs and quality results.

That said, I refuse to work on Ashley furniture, and have turned MANY away.  Why??  Because in the process of  repairing the  original complaint, too many other things either broke, failed or needed repaired in order to make MY repair  acceptable... hence.. I dont work on Ashley.
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

sofadoc

Quote from: Cheryl on May 30, 2013, 08:05:11 am
I am a small biz..  my reputation is on the line with everything that goes out the door........ I refuse to work on Ashley furniture......... Why??  Because in the process of  repairing the  original complaint, too many other things either broke, failed or needed repaired in order to make MY repair  acceptable... hence.. I dont work on Ashley.
Cheryl: No one knows your business better than you. I can only comment as far as MY business is concerned.

When stores bring me Ashley junk to fix, I just fix what they tell me to fix, and I don't worry about my reputation being damaged when the rest of the couch breaks down 2 weeks later.

Repairing Ashley furniture is the easiest money I make, and the stores are very understanding when they have to bring the same piece back in again, and again. They don't expect me to 'make a silk purse out of a sow's ear'.

I give them the option of fixing EVERYTHING that's wrong with the piece, or just fixing enough to make the piece presentable for re-sale/rent. They always choose the cheaper option (even if it means that they'll be bringing it back in the very near future).

I've said it before. If I had enough cheapo furniture repair work, I wouldn't do anything else.

byhammerandhand

May 30, 2013, 02:57:57 pm #5 Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:59:33 pm by byhammerandhand
And yet another thread exhibits thread drift.

I replaced a recliner seat core yesterday.   One of six of the same brand I've seen in the last two months.   Marshall unit with springs popping out the bottom and poking into the top.   I thought for sure with the several hundred problems with these these US wide, they'd re-engineer.  Nope.  New unit just like the old one.   Put it in and I'll be back within a year.

Another of my customers sells a lot of Ashley.  At one time, they told me 80% of their defective or damaged inbound units were Ashley.    Sometimes I fix, sometimes, I tell them it's not repairable.   For a $120 piece, you can't put a lot of time in on it to fix myriad problems.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on May 30, 2013, 02:57:57 pm
And yet another thread exhibits thread drift.
Hey, if it weren't for thread drift, there wouldn't be hardly any activity at all on these discussion boards.

Quote from: byhammerandhand on May 30, 2013, 02:57:57 pm
Sometimes I fix, sometimes, I tell them it's not repairable.   For a $120 piece, you can't put a lot of time in on it to fix myriad problems.
True. There are a lot of them that aren't worth fixing. And I NEVER go to the customer's house for Ashley repairs. They bring them to me. Easy money is only easy if you don't have to waste a lot of time.

bobslost

Back to processed leather there are a few nice products recycled with a urethane face that look and feel like leather they are pliable like leather and are rated at 100,000 double rubs. I have not sold a lot of it but what I have I have had no complaints.

baileyuph

Interesting Bobslost, is the processed leather that is working for you retailing for around $40-$50 a yard?  Or more? 

Another question, do you think, know, or feel that the processed will last as long as quality hide leather?

Most processed I encounter, mainly repair work, isn't yielding the results as your are experiencing.

All interesting,

Doyle

baileyuph

QuoteI replaced a recliner seat core yesterday.   One of six of the same brand I've seen in the last two months.   Marshall unit with springs popping out the bottom and poking into the top.   I thought for sure with the several hundred problems with these these US wide, they'd re-engineer.  Nope.  New unit just like the old one.   Put it in and I'll be back within a year.

Coils coming out of their little sacks, That build in many I see, if used will hardly last 6 months.

Hammer you able to get replacement parts for those?  A dealer of mine, when that problem came up, said his source didn't or wouldn't or something else ........get hime the parts for replacement because it was just as cheap to buy the entire furniture piece.

That was the word.  But you are replacing those springs?

Actually by the time you add the upholstery and anticipate the remaining cushions going the same way, I suppose that is what that rumor was based on.  I do suspect one could just buy an entire couch or love seat or?  Asian labor, factory level is incredibly low cost.  Some sources say a dollar a day or something unbelievable like that.

Their quality is low, materials wise, but it is the price that sells the products, all understandable but in the shake out, it is putting the quality manufacturers into a hard corner to stay in business.

Hammer, about how long did it take to install that spring or a spring core in a recliner?

Access to those from the bottom requires pulling a few staples and considerable decking cloth off.

Bottom line, you are getting parts and replacing them.  My situation is the dealers don't want any more of those on their show floor.

Doyle

byhammerandhand

How long did it take?   Longer than it should have.   I was hoping that if I removed the back off the mech and pulled a few staples, I could get in the back of the seat.   After removing staples for Velcro, dust cover and back edge of the seat, I found that there was not a good way into the seat.   It didn't appear that it was also very straightforward to get the seat of  the mech as the arm was tied into it.    So I implemented plan C, that should have been plan A -- I cut open the back of the seat fly strip along a seam, extracted the old one, inserted the new one and hand-sewed it back up.

This was a warranty job and the manufacturer supplied the parts.  I'm just the hired hand.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison