Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 04:08:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Problems with Weldwood contact cement

Started by Jan D, July 30, 2012, 06:05:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan D

I'''m using Dap  weldwood contact cement on custom door panels, I used it according to directions, but it seems to stay tacky which will never hold up once installed in the car, is there anything stronger
and better I can buy at Home Depot, or Lowe's to use? am I doing something wrong with this product?
I used to use Green glue which worked great for all auto applications, but shipping costs are more expensive than the glue, so I'm forced to look for a replacement locally.....I need help ASAP....Thanks

JuneC

How are you using it?  And what's the humidity level where you are?  I typically spray a thin coat on both surfaces and let it cure overnight.  Then, once it's totally dry to the touch, join the two surfaces.  You can actually do a little repositioning if you don't press the parts together.  Once positioned, reactivate the glue with a heat gun and mid-temp heating - it doesn't take much - and fuse surfaces wearing a leather glove while I heat.  The glove prevents fingerprints, provides a more even pressure on the vinyl and protects from the heat. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Jan D

I did some research and actually see this is the wrong type of glue to be using for this job, my upholstery supplier to me to purchase the glue from the Home Depot, but I see from reading online that they don't se'' the Weldwood landau top and trim contact cement at a Home Depot, so where should I buy it? or is there something better to use.
Thank you for the previous reply. Jan D

MinUph

I ran into the same thing awhile back Jan,
  Had to order a gallon of the landau from a supplier and it was expensive. I had to use it on an Automobile seat repair. I have 99% of a gallon left :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

I get mine from Keyston Bros.  Don't know if they have a location near you, but I do know they have lots of locations across the country.  You definitely need someplace close by since the hazardous shipping costs are crazy.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Cheryl

There's a BIG difference in the  commonly available  spray adhesive Weldwood in a can and the  stuff you get via a supplier in either a gallon or 5 gallon bucket.  The store bought spray can is crap in my  opinion.

MinUph ..  fire that glue sprayer up and use that yellow stuff.  It has a short shelf life (more than a few months but sooo not 5 years.. ask me how I know :P ).  It's good for everything else in your shop too, if you shoot lightly and keep  ventilated.
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.