Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 02:16:08 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Deciding on a business name

Started by bobbin, October 09, 2010, 02:48:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

This has been the toughest aspect for me.  So much of what I want to do in the future is dependent on a business name:  business cards, website, foundation of an LLC, "to the trade" vendor accounts, etc..  Heretofore, I've concentrated on alteration work and have simply given people my name, but that needs to change if I wish to branch out into other, related areas of expertise. 

How did you guys settle on your business name?  What criteria did you use in selecting the "winner"? 

SHHR

I'll give you my example of how I picked a name.
I've always been interested in customs, street rods, hot rods and such. My main interest has always been building them and wanted to start a "rod shop". Well I have been doing it part time for years at home. One night sitting in the shop with some friends, we were kicking around the idea of giving the shop a name. That back when West Coast Choppers was big and their name was everywhere and my nephew said something about calling in Southern Indiana Choppers. Well we didn't build bikes so we kicked it around and changed it up a bit and settled on South Hoosier Hot Rods.

Anyway, that's right when I was getting seriously interested in the upholstery end of things and since I wasn't really legit yet I thought about finding a name that mentioned "upholstery" or something. In the long run I just stuck with what I had because my goal was to still focus in custom interiors in hot rods and such. Plus I still do complete ground up jobs from time to time and have the Idea one day to add another shop to keep the clean work from the dirty, and be a ful service rod and custom shop with show room and all.

I designed a logo for South Hoosier Hot Rods on all of my cards and advertisements I just tack on "custom upholstery" but don't incorporate it into the actual logo. I sure do plenty of other sewing besides the hot rods now, like late model repairs, lots of boats and covers, even pool cover repairs. I figure by keeping the name I have will show people my true interest and who knows some older guy may show up with a boat cover or something and say "I've always wanted a 32 roadster but couldn't build it" "how about your shop doing it?"
Kyle

sofadoc

After my mother passed, I took over the family business, which bore her last name .
MY last name is different, because my mother had re-married. Initially, I had planned to gradually phase my own name into the business name. But the old name is so ingrained in the local area, that I've just left it that way.
My website name is the same as the business name. This works out great, because people instintively type it in without even doing a google search.
I don't even advertise the website, yet I still get several responses a day from it.
I would suggest you choose a website name that matches your business name, so people don't have search it out.
A girl opened a nearby diner last year. She chose the name "Blissfull Blends". Nobody knew what it was. Is it a coffee shop? Is it a boutique? People just scratched their head, and walked on by. Sometime, names can be TOO creative.
She changed the name to "Mandy's Diner" and business increased dramatically.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

stitcher_guy

I never did a list of names. Never mulled it over. When I started the shop, my former boss at the restoration shop asked if I wanted to tackle the jobs that were left sitting months before. First, he said I should write up a busines proposal and show him how I was going to go about a business (he was a bit of a weenie about it, and I think trying to discourage me.).

My boss forgot that I have a degree in journalism and writing is not a problem for me. The next day I presented him with a 9 page business plan, that included PRO Stitch Auto Interiors and Upholstery, Inc. We are incorporated for employee and tax purposes. As I was writing, it just came out. That's what it should be called.

I never considered Russell's Upholstery, Or Stare Upholstery. The upstart that just opened a couple months ago (that I taught to sew) uses his name. And when you go by and see his sign, it just seems backwoods (PLEASE, not intending to offend ANYONE who uses their name in their business). It's just not my particular bent on naming a business. Main reason being, one of the business plan's long term goals was multiple locations, possibly branching into franchise operations. As PRO Stitch, anyone can be a manager or store owner. When you answer the phone, the customer won't be asking for Russell. They want the professional at PRO Stitch.

bobbin

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject.  You've basically reiterated what I've heard so often from others.   And what my own "gut reaction" to naming my business has told me. 

So many home dec. businesses or alteration business have "cutesie" names and I wanted to stay away from that so rejected several ideas from friends and customers.  I think I have a "winner" and my preliminary searches have no revealed any others with the same name. 

It's easy to say on the telephone, it connotes my ability and what I do to professionals  in the home decorating field, and it will be easy to search on the internet.  I think it will work out just fine.  Next step is to contact my lawyer friend and get the ball rolling in that alley.  And then there is the ever looming necessity of figuring out wireless internet for the workroom.  That kind of stuff is really hard for me.

Mike8560

my Dad got me started in this when he was in a accedent and in a wheelchair he started playing with my mothere old sewing machine and after a while he decided to redo his boat top and had me go take it all off and he redid it in his living room. then he rented a little shop on the lake and named it bayview canvas. I ended up stoping over each afternoon to see how he was doing and  ended up helping him install covers he relised he couldnt do the work required and I ended up taking over. after i moved here it was aesier to keep te name with the LLC already intact website online. in not on a bay anymore, but we do have our harbor.

gene

I think having a business name that says what you do is a good way to go.

"Cute" gets old quickly. I saw a hair salon named "Curl Up and Dye".

Make sure you check to make sure the name is not in use by another company in your state or copy writed.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kre8ed46cess

make sure the name is not in use by another company in your state or copy writed.

I found this to be extremely important for my corporation.  I didn't copy write the name, and I got walked all over on the internet when other businesses started showing with the same name.   I went from over 5000 hits a months to about 500.  Most of the 5000 hits were not even looking for what I manufactured, but with those kind of hits it moves you up in the rankings against competition that carry the same sort of meta tag as you.  (meta tag is a group of words that are relative to your industry by which search engines sort and rank your business). 

Protecting your business name can be very important, when it comes to the www.

I am a self taught web developer, out of necessity (no money to pay someone else) and would be willing to share if any one has questions.  Please start a new string.

Chuck

Rich

Gee, I learn so much from this site, now I even know a little about what not to do while getting ready for a wedding! ;D
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

byhammerandhand

As long as the name is not too limiting.  If your name is something like, "Gene's Draperies"  and you decide to get into furniture or marine, you have a problem getting looked over.   

On the other hand, "Acme Enterprises," does not really say much about what you do.   I always think of "Accenture" that is a re-birth of some big company, but I can never remember what it is they do.  Of course, if your name is "Verizon" or "Adidas" you have already overcome brand recognition issues.

I just got a note back from the Sec. of State yesterday.  My proposed name is "too similar" to an existing, but non-operating, unrelated, business name.  (I did a preliminary search on my own and did not find his LLC name.)   I have one more word in my proposed name than his.   To make matters worse, he's moved 200 miles from his original location, is no longer in business, and it took a lot of searching to find him (thank heaven he had an uncommon name with middle initial).   I can use my proposed name if I get a waiver from him.

Quote from: gene on October 10, 2010, 06:50:13 pm
I think having a business name that says what you do is a good way to go.
Make sure you check to make sure the name is not in use by another company in your state or copy writed.

Gene
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

hdflame

I wanted to come up with something original and catchy that said what I was doing, but I needed to get my name registered with the state for a business license so I could start ordering material and supplies wholesale...so, I just used my name.  My understanding is that so long as you're using your name, it doesn't matter if someone else is already using it??  At least that's the way it was several years ago.

Anyway, I had no problem registering "Riddle's Custom Upholstery" with the state, and that's also my domain name that I registered.  I registered it with Go Daddy.com but haven't actually built a site or hosted it anywhere yet.  I have got to come up with a logo and build my site.  I guess I'll just park it at Go Daddy and use their site building tools.  That way I won't have to buy a new program or keep it up to date or put up the big bucks to pay a professional. :o

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

SHHR

Quote from: hdflame on November 04, 2010, 02:25:54 pm
  I have got to come up with a logo and build my site.

Check out a Staples store (probably office max too). I bought a program; LogoDesign Studio Pro by Summitsoft. It was only around $40 and suprisingly does a very nice professional looking job. It's way better than the "clip art" programs out there and has Pre-made designs you can put together or start fresh with a whole new one.
Kyle

gene

Gene's Draperies and Abattoir

You can always add on to an existing name.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

I wondered what those gunshots were in the area of your shop.  I never did buy the "target range" story.

Quote from: gene on November 04, 2010, 07:26:38 pm
Gene's Draperies and Abattoir

You can always add on to an existing name.

gene

My next attempt:  "Acme Furniture Repair and any other lawful business for which limited liability companies may be formed in this state"
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Backwoods

I decided on mine based on where I live off the main drag in the woods. They always say the life of a business are location, location, location which I do not have I'm easy to find off the beaten path mine is by word of mouth or my truck advertising
Never forget our VETERAN's it is not a bad word it is an HONOR.      May GOD Bless Them