Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 03:50:40 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Serrated Walking Feet

Started by go_hercules, September 23, 2010, 08:44:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

doing marine ive never tried the fiberflex  but I can see where it would smash it flat.

bobbin

I have all sorts of different feet for all 4 of my single needle machines; they're all specifically designed for different operations; anything from inserting welting in seams, scroll hemming, shirring, zipper insertions, felling, etc..  I don't think twice about swapping out the feet to make an operation easier and faster.  Often, when I'm at my job I open the drawer of the machine I normally use only to realize that the foot I'd like to use does not exist in that shop... suggestions to purchase one are met with resistance... "we don't need that, I've never used one and never needed one".   ???

OK, we used to start cars by turning a crank on the front of the motor, too... but electronic ignition sure is nice!

Admittedly, I've always been fascinated by machinery and attachments, and I do think you get more exposure to the huge variety when you work in garment manufacturing, where speed in production is the name of the game.  But any shop can benefit from the judicious addition of some of those time savers. 

hdflame

Quote from: bobbin on October 04, 2010, 04:02:00 am
I have all sorts of different feet for all 4 of my single needle machines; they're all specifically designed for different operations; anything from inserting welting in seams, scroll hemming, shirring, zipper insertions, felling, etc..  I don't think twice about swapping out the feet to make an operation easier and faster.  Often, when I'm at my job I open the drawer of the machine I normally use only to realize that the foot I'd like to use does not exist in that shop... suggestions to purchase one are met with resistance... "we don't need that, I've never used one and never needed one".   ???

OK, we used to start cars by turning a crank on the front of the motor, too... but electronic ignition sure is nice!

Admittedly, I've always been fascinated by machinery and attachments, and I do think you get more exposure to the huge variety when you work in garment manufacturing, where speed in production is the name of the game.  But any shop can benefit from the judicious addition of some of those time savers. 

Bobbin,

I've heard your disappointment with your job on several occasions.  I wonder how people who think there is only one way (their way) of doing things, ever make any progress with their business??  Don't you wonder how much better they could do, if they were just a little more open to new ideas?

I would hate to work for someone as closed minded as your boss.  I'm always open to a better, easier, faster way of doing something.  I imagine most of us on here are, or we wouldn't be here to start with.

I hung out at a local upholstery shop for a while and helped for free to get some exposure to upholstery.  One day I was telling one of the owners about my servo motor.  He had no clue of what one was or how it was different than a clutch motor!  And he grew up in the business with him and his brother working with their father, who started the business.

I gave him Keystone's contact info because he was interested in replacing a motor that was in bad need of replacing.  His brother attended a show somewhere and let a salesman talk him into buying another clutch motor.  My guess is either the salesman was unaware of good servos, or he had some old clutch motors he wanted to unload.  He was convinced that the servo wouldn't hold up in a full time upholstery shop setting! ???

I just gave up and realized I could learn more on here from you guys. ;D

And if I haven't said it in a while, thanks to everyone on here for being so open and sharing your knowledge.  I have learned so much from all of you.

I can't imagine thinking that I knew so much that I quit looking at new ways of thinking and doing.  I'm so glad that everyone on here is willing to share their way of doing things....fo ALL of us to learn from each other.
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

bobbin

Bobby, when the day comes that I can't learn at least one new thing from someone with whom I work it'll be time for me to quit working in this trade.  I echo your thoughts on the great tips and suggestions offered here.  Some, I already knew, others were a slight twist on something I knew but that "twist" was brilliant and made something tricky a bit easier for me.  And others have been things I'd never even remotely considered but have adopted because they were so clever.  Yes, indeed, thanks are in order. 

People who genuinely enjoy what they do for living and give a -hit about the results they produce are usually curious people who have their ego in proper perspective and aren't threatened by someone else's suggestions/observations.  The reality of those who "play in the boss's sandbox" is that you have to do it their way if they insist on it.  So I do, but believe you me! when I do things in my own shop I do them very differently.   ::)

Dede

I love specialized feet, and have a boatload of snap-on feet for my domestic machine.  But, my industrial is a walking foot, and I HATE changing the feet.  >:( So... I basically do everything with a welt foot.  ::)

This is going a little off topic, but...  Sam Sloan (Sloan Machinery) in Massachusetts invented a quick-change device that holds up to three feet on your straight-stitch industrial machine -- ready to drop into place.  Can't remember the cost, but it wasn't much.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

bobbin

I will add that I don't really love swapping out feet on my walking foot machine, either, Dede.  But I have suffered the "learning curve" and can now do it no time flat.  And I really like having the increased capability to use the zipper foot on either the right or the left. 

When I purchsed my needle feed single needle some years ago I had to rethink the whole presser foot thing... I went from a drop feed machine to a needle feed and that has consequences for presser feet.  All presser feet must have a slot to accomodate the action of the needle bar and the feed dog arrangement makes certain feet awkward; esp. those that are designed to be strongly "sided" to the right or the left.  I would like to revisit this issue because for many operations I prefer the lighter duty aspect of my straight needle feed machine to the beefier walking foot machine.  And I've been spoiled enough that I have NO desire to dust off the trusty Singer 31-15 any time soon, lol. 

Dede

Quote from: bobbin on November 11, 2010, 12:07:05 pmWhen I purchsed my needle feed single needle some years ago I had to rethink the whole presser foot thing...

I should clarify... I really have a compound feed machine (needle feed + walking foot).  It's just easier to say "walking foot" and not have to explain.  'Cause I'm lazy.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

bobbin

Dede, I know what you meant.   ;) 

I have a compound feed, walking foot machine, too.  I also have a needle feed single needle, a 5 thread overlock machine, a blindstitch machine, a button sewing machine, a drop feed single needle (2 of those, one is a rotary take-up!), and an armada of home machines. 

I am clearly a machine junkie.  With a very serious "habit".

Dede

Quote from: bobbin on November 13, 2010, 01:54:19 pmI have a compound feed, walking foot machine, too.  I also have a needle feed single needle, a 5 thread overlock machine, a blindstitch machine, a button sewing machine, a drop feed single needle (2 of those, one is a rotary take-up!), and an armada of home machines.

*drool*

I have the aforementioned Juki, 6 domestic machines, 2 treadles, and two domestic sergers.  But... not all of them work.  :D
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

November 26, 2010, 06:52:41 am #24 Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 05:52:29 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: Dede on November 11, 2010, 10:19:21 am
I love specialized feet, and have a boatload of snap-on feet for my domestic machine.  But, my industrial is a walking foot, and I HATE changing the feet.  >:( So... I basically do everything with a welt foot.  ::)

This is going a little off topic, but...  Sam Sloan (Sloan Machinery) in Massachusetts invented a quick-change device that holds up to three feet on your straight-stitch industrial machine -- ready to drop into place.  Can't remember the cost, but it wasn't much.

http://www.keysew.com/images/SFC2.jpg

I know of what you speak...a quick release for a single needle high speed flat bed machine (single presser foot, popular models are Singer 241, 281, Juki DDL-8300, DDL-555, DDL -5550, and MANY others) has been available by generic part number for as long as I can remember.  

Dede

Interesting... so Sam Sloan didn't invent the concept; he just developed his own version.

I can't find it on his website, and the only on-line photo I could locate is HUGE, but it looks very, very similar to yours.  Thanks for the photo!
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

November 27, 2010, 01:04:17 pm #26 Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:38:37 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: Dede on November 27, 2010, 07:40:15 am
Interesting... so Sam Sloan didn't invent the concept; he just developed his own version.

I can't find it on his website, and the only on-line photo I could locate is HUGE, but it looks very, very similar to yours.  Thanks for the photo!

I'm not saying he didn't invent the concept, nor am I saying that he doesn't make/sell his own.  Certainly feasible that the generic ones I sell were developed by him some time ago.  As a lot of the 'technology' was developed in Elizabethport NJ and Bridgeport CT, I have meet a few and heard lots of stories of the who and how and the what were developed back in the day.  For example, my Dad's old boss, Danny Berg, was credited with the hopping foot commonly found in Consews new 207 model, that is a direct copy of of a Singer model.  Singer did, as I was told, pay him some money for the design.  Again, this is a story I was told, and do believe.  I have no way of confirming this myself, but no reason not to believe it.

hdflame

Gregg,

I have been doing some precise sewing where I really need to be able to see my needle and where it is hitting the material I'm sewing.  Do you have a foot for my Highlead that gives me a full view of the needle as it's going through what I'm sewing?

I was thinking about taking my standard foot that came on the machine, and using my Dremel to remove most all of the foot that is in front of the needle.  A zipper foot does give a little more view, but the one I have is serrated on the bottom which leaves marks on leather.

Any suggestions?

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)