Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 01:50:46 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fabric prices

Started by gene, March 07, 2011, 03:15:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

March 07, 2011, 03:15:55 pm Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 03:18:35 pm by gene
I had a customer drop off some furniture and fabric (COM) yesterday, Sunday. She found the fabric at Jo-Ann Fabrics and with her 50% off coupon it was cheaper to order it from them than through my wholesaler.
However, she went on line and found it for 15% less than the discounted price at Jo-Ann's, including shipping/handling and taxes. It's a Robert Allen fabric.

Many interior designers get paid for their time by marking up fabric. I would think this trend is not a good thing for them.

I've seen this same thing with foam. Our one foam supplier here in town sells to anyone, and on-line. There is no longer wholesale pricing with them. And they raise their foam prices 4 or 5 times a year. They are protecting their margins at their customers' expense. And there are many places on-line that sell it cheaper. I haven't bought it on-line yet because I'm concerned with the quality, but it's getting to the place where it makes sense to give it a try.

Has anyone else noticed that those 80" sheets of foam usually measure out to 79 1/2"? My recent 4 sheets of 24" wide all measured out to 23 3/4" exactly.

Costco and Sams will get into anything that has a high margin. I wonder if they will sell fabrics in packs of 4? (A joke here.)

It's not my intent to complain or to blow off steam. You will know when that is my intent! I'm just sharing some market info that I found of interest.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

The line between wholesale and retail gets blurrier every year.
I just got in the new books from Greenhouse Fabrics. Most of it retails from the high 40's on up.
In the past, people on this very forum have been reluctant to discuss wholesale pricing. I really don't see why, since wholesale pricing is just plain ridiculous now. As far as I'm concerned, wholesale went away with the pay phone, the giant satellite dish, the CD player, and everything else that is so--oo-o last century.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

The last foam roll I ordered came from Joann's. I used my 50 % coupon. :) In regards to the dimensions, I think they may be getting their cue from the lumber industry. When is the last time you seen a 2 x 4 actually measure 2 inches by 4 inches ?

Has anyone seen the price of cotton ? I heard it has doubled because there is a shortage.

Foam prices are tied to oil prices I believe. When oil goes up, foam goes up. The BIG problem is that when oil prices go down, foam prices stay the same.

We have so much greed in this world that it is amazing anyone can make a living.

Chris

jojo

Don't get me started on Joanns. They are the only fabric store in my area, so if anyone needs anything they have to go there or travel to New York. And they know you are hostage, therefore rude and crappy service prevails. Then they have these coupons, only you can never use them for anything because they don't apply to sale items, but everything is always on "sale". 

They do have marine vinyl, but only in 4 or 5 colors, and it's 14.99 a yard. Once I wanted to buy some and they started to fold it. I  asked them to roll it up and they said no. I told them to keep it.

I've decided that there is absolutely nothing I need so badly that I can't wait a couple of days for UPS to deliver. Haven't been to Joanns in over a year.

I don't consider Joanns competition; most people (around here, anyway) know of their reputation and would rather choose from the much larger selection from my swatch books.

bobbin

Jo Ann's is the hands down the worst "fabric store" in the world.  I do buy some stuff there but avoid the place like the plague if I can.  I bought 10-12 yds. of blackout drapery lining a few months ago and the girl behind the counter clearly didn't want to use the rolling machine and tried to roll it on the tube by hand!  It was painful to watch esp. because there was long line of customers.  I told her point blank that it needed to be rolled properly and if she couldn't do it she either needed to learn how or get someone who did to do it for me.  In the past, I wanted to buy a lot of fabric for sheers... only to find they only have rolls of 20 yds.!  "We do it for inventory control purposes".  OK, could I order it from the warehouse?  No.  If you are cutting runs for full length sheers you can eat up 20 yds. quickly and wind up with a lot of "waste" (for which you paid top dollar).  I told them I needed 75 yds., not 4 20 yd. rolls with all the attendant leftover goods.  Adding to the manager that if they wanted to get into the drapery game they needed to start getting serious about larger quantities of yardage.  Their foam is the cheapest garbage I've ever used.  I never recommend it to anyone.  Watching them cut what you want with an electric carving knife is painful.  Have you ever checked out the cheap scissors they use to cut upholstery fabric.   :'(

I buy foam from a local supplier and make the trek to his location to pick it up myself because the shipping charges on it are so high.  He carries a couple of different types and I have samples from him, too.  He is not the cheapest option, but I have no desire to stockpile a lot of it and with shipping fees considered he's very competitive.  Besides, he's local, I've known him for years, and I feel good supporting him and his business.   I can buy clear rolled plastic from him and linings, too.

I have been asked if I will carry any fabric lines.  NO WAY.  It's not worth the effort, IMO.  My boss regularly throws out sample books that have been in the shop for a couple of years and have never generated a single sale.  I provide a sewing service and have a supply of really basic materials/supplies.  I'm good with that. 

jojo

The worst fabric store in the world is the perfect way to describe it.
I just found a "Joanns Sucks" page on facebook.  :) I may have to join.

Mojo

I do not shop at Joann's often but it has gotten me out of a tough jam a time or two when I ran out of something and needed it asap. Otherwise I order ahead and use Mike or Rochford.

I wished we had a supplier close by that I could walk into and buy from but the closest that I know of is 60 miles away. With gas prices and the mileage my pickup gets it would be a waste.

As I said before, between the outrageous prices on shipping and material costs it is a wonder we can make a living.

Chris

bobbin

As I said, I do use Jo Ann's for some things; mostly if I run out of something.  But I did buy a decent flocked chenille that I turned into a slipcover for my workroom for pretty short dough... it was on sale and I didn't think $12/yd. was too much money.  I come from a garment background and there is really very little in their store that I find appealing aesthetically, let alone for the price (I like natural fibres and they're really into "blends" that are weighted in favor of synthetics... to me? heavy "sleaze factor"). 

The remaining fabric store that carries nice drapery/upholstery fabrics is really feeling the internet pinch these days (I remember when they carried garment fabrics, and nice ones!).  They have gone to a more display oriented approach.  They feature a number of fabrics grouped in a pleasing way (with a nice offering of trims, too) and they have samples (4-5" square) next to the offerings.  If you want yardage you place an order with them and they will either have it drop shipped or you can pick it up there.  They no longer allow you to check out sample books because designers where checking them out, doing their presentations with them, and then ordering the goods on-line instead of through the store.  I understand both points of view and the fabric I would like to use for our master and en suite is nearly $45/yd. with no break for larger quantities.  In the past you would receive a meaningful price break if your ordered over say, 20 yds., those days are gone for "brick and mortar" establishments, I'm afraid.  But the reality for me is that $45/yd. is way out of my reach when I'll need the best part of 30 yds. to do what I want to do!  I'll be jotting down the pattern number and doin' the "on-line thang", too. 

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on March 07, 2011, 07:03:05 pm
Foam prices are tied to oil prices I believe. When oil goes up, foam goes up. The BIG problem is that when oil prices go down, foam prices stay the same.

Yup!!
Foam is baked in a giant oven, like bread. There is a chemical that causes the foam to rise (much like yeast, in bread). That chemical is a by-product of crude oil.
Katrina destroyed one of only 2 plants that produce that chemical. Instead of rebuilding, they just doubled the price of foam. This is what a supplier told me. But you know suppliers, they blame EVERYTHING on Katrina, or the middle east.
What I don't understand is, why don't the new furniture stores incur these price increases? The crap in the stores just keeps getting cheaper.

As for Joann Fabrics, my customers bring in a lot of fabric from that place. Total crap! And the foam is worthless, IMO.
I understand why some of you will buy stuff there "in a pinch". I probably would too, but the nearest one to me is 50 miles away. Looking at their online prices, it would take a coupon just to get them down to "reasonable." And I notice that they don't like to talk about those nasty details, like "density", and "compression".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Peppy

Quote from: sofadoc on March 08, 2011, 04:48:36 pm
What I don't understand is, why don't the new furniture stores incur these price increases? The crap in the stores just keeps getting cheaper.

Their furniture just gets crapier, doesn't it? But the price stays the same. There was a place around here that'd give you a free sofa if you bought a TV. Tells you something, no? The place I think was 'The Brick' so-called because they sew a brick into the dustcloth to make the sofa feel heavier and therefore 'well built'.

As for Joann's, I think they have beautiful fabrics and I don't understand why you'd ever throw out sample books...

☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

JuneC

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

Hey Peppy, who made the quilt?  Very clever. 

Peppy

Quote from: bobbin on March 09, 2011, 12:53:54 pm
Hey Peppy, who made the quilt?  Very clever. 

Thanks! I did, for my daughter for christmas. I don't sew professionally but thats not to say I can't. When your surrounded by fabulous sewers why would you bother? I love only having to do half the job.

Clever, resourceful, and cheap are all synonymous right?
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

bobbin

You bet "your sweet bippy" they are!  :)

ragtacker

And don't forget "thrifty!" ;D