Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 03:35:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cushion migration

Started by skegfish, October 15, 2010, 09:11:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

skegfish

What are the factors that make a cushion migrate to the front? Have this problem with a chair I just re-did. It doesn't move all that far but if you don't push it back each time it just keeps on going?
Bad angle of the deck?
Bad spring tie?
Not enough angle and height at front of deck?
Related subject in same vain. Removed deep seat end sectional that had the cushion connected to the deck, owner wanted new bottom so he could flip.
Is that connected to keep the cushion from migrating  forward or is it just cheaper to build that way??
JeffinPA

sofadoc

There's not always a clear cut cause, or solution. I do a lot of warranty work for local furniture stores. This a common problem, especially on cheaper furniture.
Some pieces have such soft backs, that the back cushion sinks down behind the seat cushion, and pushes it forward. You named some causes like bad deck angle, and insufficient height at deck front. If the deck springs are too soft, the cushion will have too much bounce each time you get up, which could contribute to the problem.
Some of the cheaper pieces have Vel-cro sewn into the deck, and bottom side of cushion. This usually doesn't stop the cushion from riding off the front, it just makes it harder to push back in.
The sectional piece with the built-in cushion is either a style choice, or a cost-saving technique. It doesn't always prevent migration. I've seen a lot of attached cushions that scoot forward anyway, and once they do, there's nothing you can do about it (without tearing into it).
If you can, shave a little off the back of the seat core (as long as it doesn't make the cover too loose). D-rings might help, if you can pull them tight.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

BCKC

Hmmmmm.....Jeff!

Did you put a deck on with like fabric or with a so called decking fabric? That could be the answer....to use decking instead of fabric for decking! To allow for the movement and stay put...... instead of crawling....dun know...I have to think abut that one.....Hurry up someone let us know please!!!!
I use like fabric....but a nap would require me to use decking and fabric stripes for cushion meet. How about you all!!

Karen
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them........http://www.candcupholsterydesigns.com

Grebo

:-X Could some one translate that please  :P
Whats the decking piece  ??? Is it the bottom of the cushion ?

sofadoc

Quote from: Grebo on October 17, 2010, 07:58:13 am

The decking piece is the plain (usually a beige denim) fabric underneath the cushion that covers the springs. Some sofas have "self decking", which is using the same fabric as the rest of the sofa.
Like Karen said, sometimes with a self deck, the two like fabrics rubbing together will tend to crawl.
Many vinyl and leather cushions have denim on the bottom to allow the air to escape. Quite often, they will have Vel-cro sewn into the denim on the cushion botom and deck to hold it in place. But IMO, it doesn't work very well.
D-rings can help some. But their main purpose is to keep a long cushion from hiking up on each end when you sit in the middle.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Grebo

Quote from: sofadoc on October 17, 2010, 10:12:23 am
Quote from: Grebo on October 17, 2010, 07:58:13 am

The decking piece is the plain (usually a beige denim) fabric underneath the cushion that covers the springs. Some sofas have "self decking", which is using the same fabric as the rest of the sofa.
Like Karen said, sometimes with a self deck, the two like fabrics rubbing together will tend to crawl.
Many vinyl and leather cushions have denim on the bottom to allow the air to escape. Quite often, they will have Vel-cro sewn into the denim on the cushion botom and deck to hold it in place. But IMO, it doesn't work very well.
D-rings can help some. But their main purpose is to keep a long cushion from hiking up on each end when you sit in the middle.

Thanks for making it clear.  :-[

ragtacker

many of the older high-end pieces had  strips with a ring on them sewn into the side boxing of the cushion.  This attached to a hook on a piece of elastic stapled to the back of the side rail (or, in the case of the middle cushion, the back rail) before attaching the outside arms and back. 
Jan

Lynn

If you are using a fabric with a pile (like velvets or cheniles), turn the piece for the deck around so the pile is smooth front to back instead of back to front. The natural friction should keep the cushions in place. The deck should also be raised at the front by about 15 degrees (I think that's right?)

Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!