Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 06:42:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

That's why they need counselling

Started by sofadoc, April 08, 2011, 03:40:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

There's an alcohol and drug abuse counselling center around the corner from my shop that recently closed after nearly 20 years. One of the counsellors came by to thank me for all of my help over the years.
I had to ask "What help have I given you?"
She was referring to the countless times (at least 10 times a week) that I've helped people find the place by taking them by the hand, walking them around the corner, and pointing to the building.
You're probably thinking "Wow, that place must be hard to find".  NOPE.
"Well, the building must not have any signage".  IT DOES.
"Well, they must not have been given any directions".  THEY WERE.

They are carrying a full page printed map with a big "X" marking the spot.
The name on the building is in 12" block letters, as is the address.
A 5 year old could find it with the map that is provided (that is, a 5 year old that DOESN'T need alcohol, or drug abuse counselling).

This leads me to wonder "Are they stupid because they're on drugs, or are they on drugs because they're stupid?"
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

ajlelectronics

Quote from: sofadoc on April 08, 2011, 03:40:18 pm

This leads me to wonder "Are they stupid because they're on drugs, or are they on drugs because they're stupid?"

Would someone with any intelligence deliberately poison their system and pay hansomely for the privilige?

fms

having "Lost"  people in my life, i personally thank-you for not shutting the door . making that first step is hard enough. :)

byhammerandhand

I guess we'd have to ask Charlie Sheen.

Who said, "Cocaine is God's way of telling you you have too much money."]

Quote from: ajlelectronics on April 08, 2011, 11:20:27 pm
Quote from: sofadoc on April 08, 2011, 03:40:18 pm

Would someone with any intelligence deliberately poison their system and pay hansomely for the privilige?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

bobbin

Cigs, booze, and drugs do really -ucked up things to people.  But it happens so gradually that many have no idea how really ensared they are until it's just about too late. 

If you've ever had to deal with the fall-out from that stuff you understand that the answer isn't simple (well it really IS), but getting to the acceptance of that obvious solution  ain't nearly so easy. 

It doesn't take a jiffy to be kind to someone in need of assistance.  Yeah, sometimes it feels like a real pain, but it really isn't at the end of a day.  Kindness is the rare coin that returns the spendthrift twofold, but leaves the miser penniless. 

Good things will come back to you, Sofa.. 

BigJohn

April 09, 2011, 11:20:25 am #5 Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:48:42 am by BigJohn
A few of you may know this but my wife is disabled and suffers from extreme depression and has at times been treated in the hospital. While my wife has sought treatment as an inpatient I've visited her and at the same time observed the other patients suffering from a variety of problems. I've found that mental health issues don't respond to the straighten up and fly right attitude. Regardless of what got the person to the point in there illness they are in be it self inflicted, genetic, or even the result of aging or an accident they often aren't able to help themselves or even recognize the problem. My observations have brought me to be a lot more forgiving of those afflicted but that having been said I must admit that dealing with an individual with these issues can cause ones ability to cope to be depleted. To wrap this up I thank you that are understanding and ask that the rest try a little harder, after all who knows what ailment will afflict us in the future.
                                                   Big John

ajlelectronics

I don't think anyone would try to minimise the impact that such problems cause. I am full of sympathy for those that are struggling with a physical or mental issue. In particular I know how debilitating depression can be, even when you can acknowledge yourself that you need to deal with it, the depression seems to remove your ability to do so, leaving you so vulnerable.

The ones I have a problem with are those otherwise healthy folk who think that taking drugs is somehow a clever or "kewl" thing to do. I am also appalled at the many people I saw on a dating site recently that freely admit on a public forum to being drug abusers.  I'm sorry, but these people get no sympathy from me, even when they finally come crashing down to earth or end up at Her Majesty's Pleasure.  The majority of crime in the UK is a direct result of the braindead's desire for these substances.

sofadoc

Depression is a very different situation from drug and alcohol addiction. It might have been caused by an emotional, or physical trauma, or due to heredity. I'll bet that if BigJohn's wife were visiting a depression center near my shop, she wouldn't need any help finding it.
If you were to have asked my parents if they were alcoholics, they would've said "No". But IMO, they were. Every Saturday night was a "Knock-down, drag-out" fight that resulted in my mom and me loading everything we could into the old station wagon, and going to Grandma's house. The next day, after both had sobered up, we had to haul everything back home again. Next Saturday, same ole' same ole'.
As the great Forest Gump said, "Stupid is, as stupid does". 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

It's never easy to be the only sober witness to the foolishness of parents.  And my guess is that there are a lot of us who know that first hand.  I watched what cigarettes and too much wine did to my mother over the course of 60+ yrs., she was smoking until she was just too sick to do it anymore.  When she moved in with me I told her point blank:  if I find one cigarette you are out of here and you don't have many options left because you can no longer take care of yourself in your home. 

It's easy to be judgmental, but as I said earlier, addiction often happens so gradually the victim is unaware that they're trapped.  I agree that the loss of productivity and the social costs are high (and irritatingly must be borne by those who have dodged the bullet) but having watched friends struggle to put their lives right I can't help but be sympathetic to the difficulty they face. 

Mojo

I count my blessings that I do not have an addictive personality. I have a cupboard full of narcotics that I use for bone marrow pain and the chemo flu. I am always throwing out half empty bottles when they expire.

I do not drink alcohol at all and haven't in almost 30 years. Can't stand the stuff and get sicker then a dog if I drink even a glass of wine or one beer.

I do know when it comes to alcoholism and drug addiction there is only one person who can help them...........themselves. Until they admit to having a problem and take steps to correct their addiction no one can help them.

Mental illness is a real shame. Whether it is depression, schizophrenia, bi-polar, dementia, Alzheimer, etc. The sad part is most of the diseases are all chemical and brain related. None of these people enjoy being the way they are and they cannot help they have the problem.

Big John, your wife will be in our prayers. You must be a helluva great man to hang in there and support her for as long as you have. God Bless you my friend.

Chris