Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 10:10:52 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Paperwork

Started by Mojo, May 25, 2013, 04:13:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Just wondering how everyone handles their paperwork.

I have designed a work order and have revised it numerous times to get it to where I like it.
It includes all the customers info and then contains the order specs. One the back side of the work order are the job specs including measurements, fabric color, coach make and model and year, awning/topper model, etc.

Russ ( Stitcher Guy ) got me going on using clip boards and I hang them on the wall in order of production with my schedule. I really like this method as I like to look at the wall and see what is outstanding and what is next.

Because more then 90 % of my orders arrive through e-mail I always print out my correspondence with the customer and attach it to the work sheet. Once the job is done I then make out an invoice using quick books.

Having e-mail correspondence really helps me as I have something to refer back to not to mention I have a written copy of what the customer requested - including his measurements and fabric color selection. I hate phone calls and always follow them up with an e-mail to create a paper trail for future reference. I just recently had an issue where the customer supplied me with the wrong measurements and I had to remake a topper for him. Despite it being his fault I gave it to him for free including shipping. Customer goodwill and I know this guy will run his mouth to all his coach buddies in the future about great service. :)

After the order is completed and the product shipped everything ( work order, production sheet, e-mail copies, etc. are stapled together and filed. I hold all files for 4 years since my warranty is for 3 years. When I ship out the products I include an owners packet that contains - installation instructions specific for awning model, care and cleaning instructions, Solarfix factory warranty card, my own warranty card and a brochure on 303 Fabric Guard along with several business cards and a couple rack cards. This all goes into a large white envelope and the owner stores this with his coach documents. ( All coaches come with large file boxes to hold manuals, etc. ). A coach document box and paperwork is the Holy Grail to coach owners.

Just wondering how everyone else handles their paperwork, the paper flow of each order they take in etc. Do most of you keep meticulous records ? Do you document everything ? How long do you keep your records ? How does your system work - clip boards ?

I am always looking for an easier way to do things so was hoping someone would have suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris

Mike

Mine not so Meticulas. I get a call for a  apointment. I write the name number adress and. Boat inco in a notebook.  Then o. Giving the quote if they go ahead i write a vo track on generac 3 copy forms
One for the customer with the deposite. Second for them with finsl payment and one for my records i save till i run out of room.  Ive been thinking of a visual method.

byhammerandhand

I do mostly service work so mine may not be as complex.   A lot of my work comes in by internet, and the rest by phone.

I keep appointments and "to do" (people to call to set up appointments) in a calendar program on my laptop.   Whenever I have a phone call, I note the date and time in their record.   Also make notes from the conversation.    If I can't get to my laptop, I write it in a notebook and transfer to calendar that evening.    I try to keep it all in one place so I don't have pieces of paper floating unattached all over.

Estimates, invoices and customer information all goes into Quickbooks.   Though I don't do it often, Quickbooks allows "attachments" to invoices and estimates.   I could use this to link in materials orders, photos, or other pieces of information.

I also use a program that allows me to "print" and create a PDF file.   

I keep all inbound information in a computer folder, and gets moved to a "done" folder when finished.

Cut and Paste are my friends to manage information between these sources.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Not being too terribly fluent with a keyboard, I can write it in a 3-copy ticket book faster than I can enter it on a computer. I don't have all that much to write down anyway. Just name, address, phone#, and a few particulars about the piece of furniture.

Only about 10% of my customers even ask for an invoice. I don't make them sign a long list of disclaimers and exclusions. I know that a lot of you guys have well-written ironclad contracts. Us "piss-pourin" Texans keep it simple. :D So far in 30+ years, it hasn't come back to bite me in the ass. I'm not saying there haven't been a few misunderstandings over the years. But nothing 'Earth-shattering'.

I DO move all my incoming e-mails to an 'estimates' folder. A couple of times a year, I'll go through it and clear out the older ones.

There is one other way that I'm finally embracing the electronic age. I enter my frequent/regular customers into the contact list on my I-phone. As of right now, the total stands at 92. I'll be adding more as they come to mind.
It's nice to be able to see their name pop up before I answer the phone (it gives me a few seconds to 'get my story straight' ;)).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

May 25, 2013, 10:25:37 am #4 Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:32:16 am by Mike
I hear ya there sofa.
Or wich calls not to awnserlol
Ive got 145 names a few are  vendors and the few friends i have