Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 02:36:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The Resto Rod business

Started by baileyuph, June 11, 2010, 05:59:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

My general idea of what this business is and all about promps me to get a better understand.  My primary experience (auto) is maintenance, restoration and some customer interior work.  Is the resto rod generally set apart into its catagory because it is more of a performance enhancement activity? 

Is a better idea of "resto rod" gained by literally thinking that they are less car like and more rod like unbelievable power?

If one restores to achieve the original exterior while beefing the mechanicals to rod proportions, is that a resto rod; in essence, does the rod exterior part of the definition?

As a side to this subject, on the business side, is the resto rod business; body, mechanical, and interior activity expected to continue to grow (in this economy)?

What are the demographics supporting Resto Rod?  Is it primarily the gear head minded who enjoy the hands on activity of building, maintaining, and driving these machines.

My business has been in the more traditional fashion of upholstery and I just thought I would ask.

Thanks and any comments explaining this movement and what it means to business growth would be interesting.  Is it the fastest auto growth aftermarket business today?  Building a restored rod that looks nice, drives like new while it resembles the old with smart looking interior sounds awsome.  Along with that, if all is done professionally, so is the apparent cost, has to be a major buck.  Much more than buying a new assembly line product with most of the same performance/appearance toys.

Doyle

SHHR

Around here I'm not seeing much in the way of Resto-Rod builds much anymore. Most I see at the shows are either the ultra-high end cars that are designed to only slightly resemble their original models or the other end of the spectrum I,E, Rat Rods. There is still plenty of what I call street rods too, that by my definition is a pre-48 car modified to the owners liking using new modern items on the body, interior, drivetrain, etc.

Several years ago, maybe 10-15 the resto rod theme took off big. By that people were buying great condition original cars and updating the drivetrain with over the counter engines, transmissions, and rear end's. they would do things like add independant suspensions and air conditioning to make the car more comortable, but keep it all very subtle so the average guy would think they're looking at a 50+ year old classic. the body, paint, and interiors would be left virtually stock.

I just don't see many people doing that too much anymore.
Most again that I see and deal with either want to go "off the wall wild" on their whole car or just build a "nice driver" with a mild custom interior that looks modern.

Kyle

Rich

Doyle,
Being away from the auto upholstery business for over twenty years, I can't speak from that angle. But for one who follows the old car hobby by attending shows with my own Chevelles, monitoring the online Chevelle forum and watching auctions on TV like Barrett Jackson, I don't think this trend has run out of steam. I do know that ever since muscle cars became the most desireable of the older cars, the true, high performance cars like the SS Chevelles, GTO's, Hemi 'Cudas and such have become priced out of most enthusiasts range. That gave rise to the Malibus, LeMans and Barracudas which, because they weren't the HP version, left the door open for just about any modification that would increase the "fun" factor. I think that will probably continue as I believe most car collectors emphasize performance when they plan on what to invest their money in.
My .02
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

baileyuph

QuoteI think that will probably continue as I believe most car collectors emphasize performance when they plan on what to invest their money in.

Interesting quote Rich, wouldn't an example of this movement or interest explain the slowdown in older VW restoration?

I don't work on near as many of those cars, just a few.  Performance of those, overall, isn't in the league with muscle cars.  This doesn't mean I don't enjoy those cars, it is just a sign of the times, like you said.

As a side note, I talked to a person planning to attend Wyoming Tech to take up rod building activities, sounded like all levels of this endeavor.  One striking comment he made is; his selected program will cost almost $40,000.

For his benefit, I do hope it is a good decision.  Any comments from WYT alumni?

Everyones comments and explanations, above, have been interesting and appreciated.

Doyle

Rich

Doyle,
I think if I were that person, I would get as much info as possible as to what he would be learning b/c fads can come and go, but a good solid education can be applied to many related industries with some additional training. It's probably worth it if good jobs are available to a graduate of that school. Look at all the college grads whose educations cost more than that who can't find a job in their field.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

baileyuph

Quote[It's probably worth it if good jobs are available to a graduate of that school. Look at all the college grads whose educations cost more than that who can't find a job in their field.
/quote]

That point is a good point Rich, because it does apply to many career fields today. 

With respect to cars and the value of the training, it would possibly be meaningful if some of the WOT alumni could share their thoughs on this.

As you point out, the general question about the vitality of rod restoration and possibly general restoration, is the real issue here.

sarahjoe

For his benefit, I do hope it is a good decision.  Any comments from WYT alumni?
Our excellent online 646-365  - pass4sure training programs will lead you to success in the 640-911  - braindumps - vce We also offer latest hsbc

baileyuph

In review, this post was initiated just a few years ago.  In an update fashion, my business on car restoration, serious interest that is, has waned seemingly because of two primary factors - age of candidates and needless to say cost.

Probably another report from WT would offer insight of student interest to get into the trade. 

I still get some interior restoration work but it seems to come from "old money".

Interesting,

Doyle