Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 09:51:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Wrestling Match

Started by 65Buick, January 19, 2018, 03:16:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

as time goes on you will accumulate the extras from jobs and have enough similar fabrics to practice on but probably by that time you will take every job head on without even thinking about it.  The extra fabric gets used sometimes in place of using your muslin or straps 
SA

65Buick

MinUph:  "These chairs are all done in two pieces sewn together. Patterning is the issue. The existing pattern is not what you will get when you take off the cover. Best to pattern all now while still covered in this old vinyl. Doubtful it will all come out good with the inside back as one piece."

Ok.. so knowing what you know about me and my work - Think I can do it? Or should I just start with making the IB as 3 pieces?

MinUph

65 I think you work is very good so far. But these chairs are not easy by any means. I doubt they will come out as good as new even in three pieces. In one piece inside and one outside I would not attempt myself. Well I may attempt but I know it wouldn't work. Without original factory patterns and factory process to put on it will not come out like you plan.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Do you think I could replicate a factory pattern? What would it be? As mentioned earlier they do allow for a specific amount of stretch. I could take my vinyl that I want to use, and measure how much stretch, with and without heat.

Other than that I'm not sure how I would go about it. Certainly I will attempt this job, possibly first with a cheaper vinyl. Maybe the upholstery store has a remnant I could use.

Though I won't be too disappointed if it turns out that it's not something I can reasonably accomplish.

MinUph

No I don't think you could replicate the factory pattern. And I don't think you can figure the stretch out by measuring how much a piece of vinyl stretches at a given spot. There are just too many different "spots" on the pattern. Factories have a few things we don't have. One is CAD another is trial and error, and other is the original model, and another is how it assembled (upholstered). Do your best and give it a shot. But don't expect one vinyl to behave like another one. That is not going to happen either LOL.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Ok. Well I'll start by making a beeline to the clearance/remnant bin. And once I've sewn it, I'll get a couple of my brawniest friends...