Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 07:07:40 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Wrestling Match

Started by 65Buick, January 19, 2018, 03:16:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Mojo

YIKES...........

And I thought motorcycle seats were a PITA. I would not want to recover that chair.

Mojo

65Buick

It's an oddity. I read that it is molded styrofoam - and based on the weight I would think that is true.
I figured if I can't do the IB in one piece, I'll make a couple seams. I've seen a few done that way.

Mojo

I did several motorcycle seats back in the day. One was a breeze as I used All Sport. The rest I panelled using french and fell seams.

To be honest !!! I wouldn't even know where in the heck to begin with that chair. I am wondering if Dennis, Paul, Doyle or Ed have ever done one of these. It would be interesting to know some of the tricks.

Mojo

kodydog

The ones I have done were sewn all in one piece and glued onto the frame. Lots of glue. I'm guessing a Styrofoam frame would be upholstered the same way. Does a Styrofoam frame have or need foam padding? Either way be very careful when taking the old fabric off. If you ruin the foam you will have a hard time making the new material smooth. Heat is good when removing the old fabric.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

These chairs are all done in two pieces sewn together. Patterning is the issue. The existing pattern is not what you will get when you take off the cover. Best to pattern all now while still covered in this old vinyl. Doubtful it will all come out good with the inside back as one piece. I would try it but make sure enough vinyl is available to do over if three pieces are needed. If the pattern is right on it will fall together with heat if not it won't. Good luck on this one. It will need to be very tight fitting to get it to work. You will need heat just to get it on. Silicone spray will help some. I think the factory has forms for this type of chair where it is heated and placed in a form to cool. I've always said that but never knew for sure.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Factory approach:  Only vinyl with the ideal stretch properties are used (not All Sport!which leads to an
other topic alone as to why).
Factory aligns their pattern very specific to that selected stretch vinyl. Even their type of seaming is
part of the equation.  As an additive, a factory is very technical on how much they depend on stretch and
seaming to achieve their fit.

As a note - the factory material stretch parameter gets to be interesting discussion but that is another topic which applies to cloth fabrics as well - probably best for a later discussion.

But to wind up - factories will normally use steam and even slip eze in their processes (marine for example).

Like implicated - very interesting stuff centered around the topic - as it leads to when the process
becomes "molding".

At the custom shop level, this chair can be handled by adding seams in strategic places on the chair -
like a 3 piece inside back/outside back and even a 4 piece inside back (the 4th could be used around
the lower bottom where it wouldn't be seen - the vinyl used has to be considered.

Just a starter,

Doyle

65Buick

Thinking about this piece:

I wondered if maybe cloth/fabric would be a better choice than vinyl.
But am now not too sure of that. Both vinyl and fabric have stretch properties, difference being that vinyl can be heated to stretch a bit more.

MinUph

January 22, 2018, 07:10:35 pm #8 Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:11:06 pm by MinUph
Actually vinyl can be stretched a lot with heat applied carefully. I have heard in the past that when heating vinyl and stretching it a lot it will fail prematurely. I had worried about a booth job I did for a few years past until we redid them and they did not fail due to the heat and stretch which was actually pretty extreem to get them smooth. They were shaped seats. I'd say go for it with a good vinyl and heat it carefully to the point where it is hard to hold. Stretch it up and then over the edge. It might take a couple adjustments.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

January 25, 2018, 11:03:33 am #9 Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 05:41:34 pm by 65Buick
LOL

I'm guessing somebody made money on these things.

http://gdurl.com/wNxj

While I'm thinking about it: There are surely many ways to fill the voids in the styrofoam. I see RC plane people are very careful about theirs for obvious reasons. Here, what would you do? All in the matter of expediency.

MinUph

I kinda doubt that is a styrofoam frame. But you could use foam in a spray can for insulation use and then when dry shape it with a rasp etc.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

January 26, 2018, 08:07:04 am #11 Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:44:45 am by 65Buick
That is exactly what I intended to do, Paul.

And really, this is styrofoam. Thing weighs like 2 lbs. There are two small pieces of wood at the base that the legs are mounted to. Otherwise, it is molded styrofoam. Crazy, huh?

It's called an Overman 'Pod' Chair.

If you meant the legs, those are aluminum.

65Buick

I found a turquoise vinyl that i think would be really exceptional on this piece. Buttery soft and just the right color for the period.

My dilemma is this: many times I want to practice. But with what? The only fabric that will act the same way is the one I intend to use. So many times I dive in, and hope that my skills on the sewing machine are up to snuff.
But most often, I do make a big mistake that necessitates more fabric.

And, the margins are slim here so a big mistake could really cost, many times it does.

Any thoughts here are appreciated.

MinUph

If the foam will withstand a spray glue I would add a 1/4" skin on foram to smooth things out first. Then pattern the inside in four pieces the forth being a small boxing type piece along the bottom where it breaks at the seat line. This will be the glue on piece for the bottom. Be very careful with registration marks for the inside and outsides as they will have to be perfectly sew together. All seasms for that matter. Make everything a bit tight maybe 1/4 smaller than you normally would when patterning so it has to be stretched on.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Mistakes are inevitable. Some can be avoided and some can't. Its always nice to have a little extra fabric on hand.

We had one customer who bought 2 yards less than requested. When Rose asked why the customer told her, "my friend told me upholsterers always over estimate."

Another customer brought 2 yards less than required. When Rose asked why the customer replied, "that's all they had at Hobby Lobby, and the sales person said it would be enough." >:(
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html