Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 05:58:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Arne Jacobsen egg chair

Started by Tricksum, May 31, 2015, 12:45:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BDD

Hi all,

I have an egg chair that's in pretty good condition, but the problem is that the fabric is beginning to pull away from the inner shell of the chair in a few places, creating what looks like bubbles in the fabric that really ruin the overall look of the chair.  Since the fabric is still in decent shape, it wouldn't be practical to recover the chair. 

What I'm thinking is that if I could somehow inject glue behind the fabric (red velvet) it would be a quick and easy fix, but I have no idea where to start or what products to use.  Has anyone tried anything like this before?  I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice - thanks in advance!

MinUph

Quote from: BDD on September 06, 2017, 12:40:02 pm
Hi all,

I have an egg chair that's in pretty good condition, but the problem is that the fabric is beginning to pull away from the inner shell of the chair in a few places, creating what looks like bubbles in the fabric that really ruin the overall look of the chair.  Since the fabric is still in decent shape, it wouldn't be practical to recover the chair. 

What I'm thinking is that if I could somehow inject glue behind the fabric (red velvet) it would be a quick and easy fix, but I have no idea where to start or what products to use.  Has anyone tried anything like this before?  I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice - thanks in advance!

I don't think you can inject cement behind the velvet and have it hold. I've done an egg chair three times. Contact cement is used and it has to dry before touching the surfaces together. Any other type of glue will probably ruin the velvet and not hold anyway.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

The last one I did the foam underneath was completely crumbs causing hard bumps under the fabric
SA