Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 09:01:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Seat cushion -sizing-

Started by 65Buick, September 05, 2017, 12:46:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

I keep seeing chairs/sofas & other seating with the seat cushion overhanging the front by 2 or more inches. This is really confusing me. Why are people/companies doing this?
Not just re-upholstery but from the factory too.

MinUph

Poor patterning or they aren't upholstering the back tight enough for the patterned cushion size at a factory. Slightly over the front edge has not changed.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Yeah it's pretty bizarre. This isn't like 1/2" or 1". I'm seeing 2" or more overhang. I see it on Instagram, but I believe I have seen it in magazines, too.

MinUph

Some just don't know the proper look of furniture. There are basic things that seem to have gotten lost through the years. But that is the way it is I guess. Like the finishing off with blued tacks. I have a couple of chairs that we need to replace the OB and use normal fancy nails. They are finished now with #4 tacks. Sick ! LOL Whatever the customer wants right.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

On a UK Facebook group that Paul and I belong to, it's pretty common to see that much overhang. I think it must be more desirable over there.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Quote from: MinUph on September 05, 2017, 02:45:39 pm
Poor patterning or they aren't upholstering the back tight enough for the patterned cushion size at a factory. Slightly over the front edge has not changed.

At some factories the upholsterers never handle the cushions. The furniture is put together right before it is packaged. The managers figure this is one less thing to go wrong. A mishandled cushion could get a stain or pick mark or tear. They must think hanging over is better then too far back but an 1-1/2" over hang is unacceptable. We always fix it.

I once worked for a guy who always finished his cushions to sit slightly back. I always thought this looked odd.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Here's a pic from an upholstery training class. I see at least 3 chairs with excessive overhang.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wRKAtStU51L9itsF2

SteveA

Do you think that comes from lazy guys who use the existing pattern to template rather than making a new pattern that isn't stretched out ?
SA

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on September 06, 2017, 07:30:34 am
Do you think that comes from lazy guys who use the existing pattern to template rather than making a new pattern that isn't stretched out ?
SA
I'm sure that's part of it. But usually when an old template is stretched out, it's also too wide between the arms.

I think that many are doing it on purpose. As if it's a desired look. 

65Buick

Quote from: MinUph on September 05, 2017, 06:14:55 pm
Some just don't know the proper look of furniture. There are basic things that seem to have gotten lost through the years. But that is the way it is I guess. Like the finishing off with blued tacks. I have a couple of chairs that we need to replace the OB and use normal fancy nails. They are finished now with #4 tacks. Sick ! LOL Whatever the customer wants right.

LOL!