Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 12:20:02 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Marine vinyl

Started by 65Buick, August 08, 2017, 12:19:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Some people here have mentioned sunbrella not being up to snuff for outdoor upholstery.
What brands do I want to stay away from regarding marine vinyl? I do have a reputable local supplier.

brmax

I think some have mentioned a bit more stretch in the standard boat cover canvas. I cannot recall if its the warp or weft threads. Nowadays they make a lot of designs in use for outdoor seating, though im not familar with that. So maybe someone can chime in who works on outdoor furniture.
The company might be owned by another fwiw.

Floyd

MinUph

I've read the negative things about Sunbrella. I don't see the issues in the cushion grade product. Maybe the awning grade product has stretch issues but like I said I don't see it in furniture work.
As for Marine vinyl the only one I have had issue is the crap that comes from Joannes. It is thin, and not very strong. I think any name brand supplier of marine grade should be fine.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

I noticed my folks were using sunbrella cushions. They're very old and still in good shape. Good observation. Maybe they cheap on different grades.

I'll ask my local supplier if he can give me brand names regarding the marine vinyl. There's no way in heck I would trust Joann vinyl there.

brmax

I think this Morbern link will give some names of marine vinyl designs under their brand. An important tip i recall from here on the site and marine vinyl. Vinyl with a poly backing scrim is a benifit when used in wet environments. I suppose it may have more resistance with mildew from wet foam in the typical boat.
In talking with some of the supliers it may get some booklets of samples your way. I can easily say if your customers know their outdoor furniture fabrics are sunbrella then they well know these Pro names have reliability with cost levels. With that customer knowledge your on the right path.

Good day there
Floyd

http://morbern.com/markets/marine/

Grebo

I still find the Sunbrella cushion grade to be one of the best, colour retention is excellent.
I've had some customers want a colour change & the old skins are still as good as new after a few seasons of mediterranean sun.