Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 04:17:09 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Spray adhesive question

Started by stickandtin, June 11, 2016, 08:20:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stickandtin

We've been using Permatex headliner and carpet adhesive to stick foam down. Comes in a 16.75 oz spray can. Stuff works great but it is expensive at $13.95 a can. What adhesive products do y'all use and recommend?

brmax

I'm not sure where your located so within that rule some types of paperwork may have to be maintained as a biz. And some products may not be available in your area, but I can confidently say where the local professionals buy automotive paints can be a source for information "but" determining if a product is truly high heat resistant is your choice and or downfall.

It can be said with some experience contact adhesive should be sprayed and bought in bulk to be sprayed for best results on panels efficiently.

An HHR adhesive is (high heat resistant) and really should be only selection used in overhead applications.

Some articles on the subject for typical use sometimes in discussion are explained in this link.

Please share any of the tips ya gather as I'm always in learning mode and welcome to experience we can share.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Contact_adhesive

Good reading
Floyd

Rich

I'm spraying 3M Neoprene adhesive to bond fabric backed vinyl (Naugahyde etc.) to wood, metal and foam, foam to itself.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

stickandtin

Hi Rich, looked up 3M neoprene adhesive and there are several kinds....80, 1300 etc. which one are you using? Watched an upholstery video and guy was shooting some kind of adhesive out of a spray gun. Came in a gallon jug. What's that stuff and what applications is it used for?

Corjen1

Darren Henry

QuoteWhat's that stuff and what applications is it used for?

there are a number of adhesives that come that way depending on what you are doing and how much glue you use The most common is foam adhesive like Sluyter 478 or helmiprene for bonding foam to foam/wood/etc...there is also a variety of landeau and top adhesives for HHR applications like head liners and landeau tops on cars.

I keep a gallon of 478 on hand for everyday gluing, a couple of spray cans of Sluter 476 for fabric to fabric like when I glue and fold an edge for a zipper etc.. and a couple of spray cans of a HHR glue from Wurth  ( at about $28 a can) for headliners etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

if im doing a boat headliner or gluing in carpet I use weldwood landau adheasive but for simple dluing in a foam while recovering I use  KEYSTON HI TEMP HEAVY DUTY TRIM in a can bout $10 a can but easier then dirting a cup gun

Rich

Quote from: stickandtin on June 11, 2016, 03:44:19 pm
Hi Rich, looked up 3M neoprene adhesive and there are several kinds....80, 1300 etc. which one are you using? Watched an upholstery video and guy was shooting some kind of adhesive out of a spray gun. Came in a gallon jug. What's that stuff and what applications is it used for?

Neoprene Contact Adhesive 5
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Danny D.

A good spray adhesive is the 3M General Trim Adhesive, 8088.  It sells at Walmart for less than $12.00 a can.  It's good stuff, it works for auto headliners, seat upholstery, carpets, just about anything you want glued.  It's in the automotive section, usually around the paint stripper in the spray can.  Give it a try.