Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 03:29:38 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pre made seat covers?

Started by scott_san_diego, July 18, 2013, 01:28:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scott_san_diego

Hello all,

My wife has been wanting to put leather seats in her 2012 Kia Sorento.  I do not have the time to do that for her.  Between getting ready to move my shop to a bigger location and being busy, there is no time for me to do it for her.  Does anyone know of a company that makes leather seats already sewn up and all I would have to do is put the covers on.  That I could find the time to do.

Thanks Scott

baileyuph

July 20, 2013, 06:17:29 am #1 Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:20:34 am by DB
There are a couple matters related to whatever the plan is with the wife's Kia.

If you are looking for factory mass produced leather seat upholstery that will be patterned, sewn, and fit like the original seat upholstery, your only hope to find such would be at the KIA dealership parts department.  They might be able to order them in from the same place that made the existing covers on the seats now, which is possible only if leather was an option when that car was built.  Even if KIA could supply the seat upholstery in leather, the cost for replacing all the seat upholstery will be relatively very expensive.

The reason what you are looking for isn't available in the aftermarket, is there is insufficient demand in the market place.  Manufacturers can only profit from high volume items.  

A side point, in case you were thinking of installing a leather cover, sewn to fit like original covers, the existing seat upholstery has to be removed.  Can't install another set of seat upholstery over an existing one.  Not possible on modern seats with bolsters and all the crevice detail situations.  

Something that could be installed over what is there now, is merely a protection cover and does not maintain the fit and nice professional appearance of original seat upholstery as factory installed.

This type of protection cover is something that is universal, designed to go over any seat but not fit any well.  Auto Zone would sell something like this in vinyl and cloth (combo), I doubt that is what you are wanting.  They look terrible and won't last.

That reduces your options down to maybe only one more, have an auto upholstery shop to make the leather covers .  That could get expensive for an entire car, especially out of quality leather and expert craftsmanship.  A shop that does this kind of work is expensive because of the cost of materials and time.  You might be lucky just to find one to take on the task, if they are busy.

Any way, one last point already made, even if you went the custom route, the existing seat upholstery would have to be removed before the custom work could be installed.

So, if you can find the time, fabricate original like seat upholstery in leather, remove what is there and install yourself.  A BIG project!

I forgot one more option, go to the KIA dealer and find out if the car can be bought with original leather seat upholsery.

Doyle

Danny D.

Try this site: http://www.katzkin.com.  But be warned, they are not cheap.  They may run a couple of thousand for the covers.

Danny D.

Danny D.

An alternative to the Katzkin site is this one:  http://www.roadwire.com.  Their prices are a bit lower, and the selection should be good.

Danny D.

Agent 002