Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 12:22:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Webbing

Started by 65Buick, October 05, 2017, 03:09:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Hello everyone,

Just got a couple cool mid-century pieces from the wood refinisher for the designer. All pretty straightforward stuff, only thing is the webbing for this one piece. The wood guy says it was a polyester webbing. I don't see any staple marks, so I'm curious how the webbing was fastened to itself to create the loop.

http://gdurl.com/sA5l

baileyuph

If you can google or ? to find out how Danish Modern decks were build and get a picture (would help ans).

Anyway, the chair you have requires (to go back original) 4 latex straps with metal
fixtures at both ends of each strap that slip in the slots.  These straps act as the chair springs.  So, think about it, they (the straps w/medal end fixtures) have to be cut such they are stretched into the slots during installation.

Then, after the latex straps are installed, you will want to make a padded decking
(most were light beige decking cloth back then) and stitched around the perimeter
just like originals were.  Finally, the decking you prepare (styled/padded just like
they were back in that period) will have to be installed.  Most manufacturers used
some elastic straps to help keep the deck in place and they helped in building
the stronger deck. 

Once, the deck is cut/padded/sewn around the edge and installed to the frame,
the smaller elastic straps can be also stapled  (this occurs at the rear on most).

Over the years, I have done a large number of these type chairs.  They can be made very nice and all the details I have alluded to helps functionally and
in adding comfort.

I think most with affection and appreciation of this mid century style would agree
they are in demand and are probably costly according to the restored condition.

What is the condition of the walnut frame(s)?  That wood can be beautiful.

You got yourself a great project, but finding pictures to gain understanding
of how things were made will inform and keep you going in the best direction.

You are right, if the chair wasn't modified over the years there won't be any staples suggesting burlap webbing (just not original).

Do your research before proceeding!

Doyle

kodydog

October 05, 2017, 05:51:34 pm #2 Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 06:02:22 pm by kodydog
Polyester webbing would definitely have left staple marks. I think this frame is set up for rubber webbing. Also known as Pirelli webbing.

These clips are crimped to the ends of the webbing and fit into the slot.

https://www.ebay.com/i/391727632570?chn=ps&dispItem=1 clips

How true to original do you want to keep this project? Pirelli webbing is a bit on the expensive side.

http://www.michaels.com/pirelli-rubber-webbing/D005929S.html?mkwid=sdBzI6ZFi|pcrid|102013289952|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|prd|D005929S&cm_mmc=zadv_PLASearch-_-google-_-All-Products-_-All-Products&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=All-Products&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=sdBzI6ZFi|pcrid|102013289952|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|prd|D005929S&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsNfOBRCWARIsAGITapZJvV6VPzvHjvSP8pTO3MCEbQ6reTurZsWLB1d5r5hr8_gpFxQCPIEaAkD9EALw_wcB Webbing

You can staple jute webbing to the top of the frame and cover it with a little padding and decking fabric. This will make a slightly firmer seat but much more affordable.

Earlier this year we upholstered this sofa. The rubber webbing was worn out. It was simply stapled onto the frame and we replaced it the same way.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VIPcqisu5JR1MeDd2
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

October 05, 2017, 05:58:04 pm #3 Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 09:13:02 am by 65Buick
The owner as I understand, declined New furniture in lieu of keeping and restoring the chairs. The designer, suprisingly, was a bit put off by that.
I love these chairs. I have not done research yet but they are very valuable.
I would estimate a restored chair to be well over $1000.
The wood refinisher did a fabulous job & the frames are near immaculate.

There is one more chair, much like the slipper chair I completed with the 'x' pattern to be done.

As this is a first job for this designer, and because I care, I want this job to be the absolute best it can be. I will take my time here and make sure it is as close to original as possible.

____

After some more investigating, it appears that only rubber webbing was used. The reason I can tell is because I can see fading on the vinyl between where the webbing was. I don't think I will do anything else but replace the webbing the way it was when it was manufactured.

SteveA

I think I only saw 4 slots for straps.  Very limited support especially if you use anything other than the Pirelli webbing.  The problem I had with a small job like that was the supplier would only sell me an entire Pirelli roll - over $ 100.00 if I remember correctly. 
If the customer wants an exact decking restoration make sure they know it might not be as firm and last as long as what folks demand today
SA

65Buick

I have found that I can buy the pirelli, with clips & precut.
Good point, since the designer hadn't mentioned it, I will bring it up.

kodydog

It's always a good idea to have a conversation with the customer. The sofa I mentioned above is owned by a couple who collect midcentury modern scandesign furniture. They wanted to be part of the restoration and wanted the end result to fit their comfort level.

The Pirelli Webbing was wore out. I replaced 12 pieces front to back. There was only one side to side so I added two more.

The original sofa had 3 - 3" latex cushions that were to thin and worn out. We replaced with one 5" poly foam cushion. The customer came to our shop and tested several samples.

We also replaced the back cushions and added a layer of dacron to the inside and outside arms.

This changed the look of the sofa but the customer was extremely happy.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

Kody - 5" is big. Do you have a photo of that?
Original cushion for this project measured @ 2" only. I think 3" would be better, but only a thin layer of dacron in order to keep the boxy look.
But b/c 3" is thin I'm thinking firmer like 44lb. I personally like really firm like 50lb but I doubt others do.

Thanks for the thought. I will make sure the customer gets what they want. Obviously they are going a bit out of their way to restore these. They must enjoy this style.