Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 10:50:43 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

vinyl cut

Started by gene, July 27, 2010, 04:08:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Hello,

What's the best was to seal a cut in a vinyl jet ski seat? The previous owner put a piece of tape over the tear and stapled around the tape.

Is this a 'do it yourself' project or does a pro need to do it to get it done correctly?

Thank you,

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

In order to  get a good job, a pro needs to  do it.  While you can buy a "As seen on TV" kit for $20 at Wal*mart, etc., it takes some effort and experience to get it to look like anything except an ugly scar.  Level, graining, color and sheen all need to be matched.  And it needs to be strong enough to hold  and not just split back open or have the color peel off.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sunshine_n_pc

Let me preface this with, I am such a newby.....but, until a month ago I had 4 waverunners, just sold  2 and still have 2.  One of my nicer skiis had cover left off over the winter and the vinyl split.  I recovered the seats on all 4 skiis last summer.  There are several waverunner forums (just like upholstery :)  out there - I read how to do and did it.  I didn't sew any seams just got some marine vinyl with a lot of stretch.  Bought a long nosed air stapler (must have tool) and stainless steel staples.  I pulled, stretched, heated and stapled. It looked great.  One one of the skiis I was able to match the vinyl (red) and it looked original.  Two of the skiis had a dark dark purple, almost black that I couldn't match, so I did it in a dark grey - came out nice.  The ski that came out the best was the one with the stretchiest vinyl that was not really thick (the thicker was harder to get smooth around the edges. )  I know you didn't ask about changing the vinyl .... but you did ask if it could be done by a "non professional"  - it can.

on a side note - aren't forums amazing - there is one for everything - I needed a new air conditioner - YEP - there is a forum....helped me pick my AC.....one for home theater....helped me pick my tv....had a waverunner that wouldn't run.....read the forums and learned to rebuild carbureators, change a starter, and install a new motor....it is amazing.....so here I am, got me a Juki and I am sewing boat seats :)  Sewing flames is really "calling my name" - gonna have to try it.

SHHR

I've just started doing buisness with a local detail shop, they do a great job on detail work, window tint, even headliners and windshields. They had a "professional" who would come in when needed and do vinyl repairs on seats of cars and boats that came into their shop.

These guys told me that usually a repair would last about 6 months before needing redone, so they now pass the work on to me because I replace the damaged panels and in the long run they don't have mad customers coming back in a few months.

On a similar note a guy just brought me a 2000 Mazda Miata he just bought for a carpet replacement and to get some chrome replated. As I was looking the car over it was apparent someone before left the car sit out in the sun with the top down for some time. The underside of the top was sun faded horibblyonly where the folds were in the top. Then I noticed the seat back vinyl was pulling from the stitches and there was gobs of vinyl repair goop on the seats and all dyed black to hide it from sun exposure too. As soon as I touched it, it was all gummy and obviously wouldn't hold too long.

The good thing was I sold him  a recover job on the seats and he'll be back in the fall for a new top.  I guess it boils down though to I don't trust a vinyl repair on a rip because it usually comes back.
Kyle

scarab29

Also next time you re-cover a jet ski seat , get allsport vinyl . It stretches both ways and will make the job much easier.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Peppy

Quote from: scarab29 on July 28, 2010, 04:12:11 pm
Also next time you re-cover a jet ski seat , get allsport vinyl . It stretches both ways and will make the job much easier.

Amen. That stuff is amazing.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Miami Mike

Allsport is a sweet piece of goods....
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna