Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 02:28:09 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

You can lead a horse to water......

Started by sofadoc, September 14, 2010, 08:44:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

Quote from: hidebound on September 17, 2010, 03:31:41 am
I am a lurker also. I am also a 2 finger typist, graduated in 75 and like Sofadoc never forsaw the need for typing. Thats not what makes me a lurker though I read every post. Im on here a couple of times a week. Lack of knowledge for the subject is usually what keeps me quiet.
Well good to know your here. you can alays ask a question. me Ive grADUATED TO 4 FINGER TYOING UNLESS IM ON MY  I phone, then it can get real weirod with its intuitive typo spelling.

Chill

Went to high school in the 60's when typing was a required class, I am so glad it was. I have been lurking here for several years, post occasionally. I learn so much by reading what all of you have to say, thanks.
Carol

Mojo

I took typing in high school way back when. They had just invented the typewriter when I was in high school.

I flunked my class BTW. :)

Chris

bobbin

Lol, Sofa., but you forgot the last part... the part about getting caught, receiving an F in the class and then being expelled from school for plaigarism... and then having to explain it all to Mommy and Daddy.    (and lastly, missing out on all that binge drinking). ;)

hidebound

I'm afraid that ituitive I phone would drive me bat@#@#. 

Darren Henry

I had a whole two weeks of formal typing instruction as part of the grade 9 business course in high school. Us guys spend more time tearing the typewriters apart then we did using them. All I really learned was how to rig an Olivetti typewriter so that carriage return would come off the next time someone used it. It wasn't many years until I regretted that. With every promotion in the forces came more and more reports,returns,and letters to write. For those of you too young to remember typewriters; there is no "delete" or "backspace" etc... By the time I made sargeant major BQ was ordering white out in 5 gallon pails LOL.Mercifully my chief clerk was a sweetheart and my other one feared me.

When I transfered over to the signals corp I had to take a basic teletype course with a bunch of 18 year old privates would either had access to computers or realized that they were more than a fad and had stayed awake in typing class.They were laying down 40 and 50 words per minute and their bosses' boss is in the back row muttering and cursing and threatening to drop a white phosphorus round on his terminal because he couldn't make the required 15. BTW no matter how hard you smack a teletype machine with a pace stick it will not spell check  >:(
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

I actually got stuck in typing class for 2 weeks back in high school. My first choice, Radio & TV Repair was full. I had stupidly put down typing as my first alternate. Now, I wish I had stayed in it. I got kicked out for typing with no paper in the carriage (heck, I didn't know that would damage the roller). 
I thought that Radio & TV Repair would be a lifelong career. NOBODY fixes that junk anymore.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

Wish they did I've got a plasma that  the color turns green. And I spent allot on it about 4 years ago.

Grebo

September 20, 2010, 09:08:20 am #23 Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:12:19 am by Grebo

Any one remember the telex  :o, We had 2,  no less in the agents office (customs clearance ) Old BT types  with the big black keys & the ticker tape  ::) & I remember being the only one on duty when the man come in to install the latest wizz bang cheetahs which had a screen & MEMORY so no more tapes.  :o & I had to show every one else how to use them  ???

About 10 years back I saw one for sale at a car boot sale  :'(