Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 05:20:43 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

You can lead a horse to water......

Started by sofadoc, September 14, 2010, 08:44:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

In the course of a year, I meet a lot of upholsterers, and upholstery supply salesmen who used to be upholsterers. When "talking shop", I usually mention this discussion board. I tell them how to find it, and register/login.
The next time I see them, I'll ask if they visited the site, and what they think of it.
So far, no one that I've talked to has shown any interest. It's strange, because most of them seem eager to talk about everything from sewing machines to Quickbooks, so it seems like this would be a good fit.
Have any of you been able to turn anyone on to this discussion board?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

ahkahn

I mention it to as many people as I can.  It's hard to tell if anyone comes here because there are an awful lot of lurkers. 

Regardless, this is a huge tool for the entire industry.  I think it's a great forum to exchange tips.

-Andrew

bobbin

This is just a thought, but I find that people who don't know how to type are really at a disadvantage on message boards.  Participating  can be slow and sort of frustrating.  One of my good friends from my college days doesn't use e-mail very much for precisely that reason. 

I have to say that "Personal Typing" was probably one of the smartest, most useful classes I sat through in high school, lol. 

Grebo

You know it's been so long ago that I was struggling with the old one finger typing (two on a good day),  that I completely forgot that I can do it know.. :o  Just got to keep working on the spelling now  :P

PDQ

wind_rose_2

Seems to me that anyone wishing to source this information will find it themselves,,it's not like you need a secret password.
Dave

sawdustar

I like it here and I've told some others about it and have not seen a single one of them get on here.

Now I know that I got on here many months ago....but I'm pushing to get things going so I can work my way into doing good quality work for a fair price so I can get out of the IT industry.

So like it or not....you're stuck with me.  :D
Thanks a Bunch,
Dennis Peacock

Mojo

Quote from: sawdustar on September 15, 2010, 09:53:59 am
I like it here and I've told some others about it and have not seen a single one of them get on here.

Now I know that I got on here many months ago....but I'm pushing to get things going so I can work my way into doing good quality work for a fair price so I can get out of the IT industry.

So like it or not....you're stuck with me.  :D

If they will let me hang around here they will let anyone hang around. :)

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on September 15, 2010, 03:41:00 am
This is just a thought, but I find that people who don't know how to type are really at a disadvantage on message boards.  Participating  can be slow and sort of frustrating.  One of my good friends from my college days doesn't use e-mail very much for precisely that reason. 

I have to say that "Personal Typing" was probably one of the smartest, most useful classes I sat through in high school, lol. 

Hey, poor typing skills doesn't keep ME away. At least YOU sat through typing. As a senior in '76, I couldn't imagine EVER needing to know how to type. I've been using the "hunt and peck" method for so long, I'm too set in my ways to learn how to type now.
I think this forum is something that people just have to find on their own to fully appreciate.
Have you ever recomended a movie, or restaurant to a friend, and they HATED it? BUT... if THEY had found it FIRST!!!

Jim101

Same here.  I've talked with friends, reps, co-workers, other people in the biz and I've never seen them on here or when I talked with them they had never visited.  I have no idea why other than that they are just too busy or aren't' comfortable using the computer for communicating with other people.

Some people I know seem pretty sure that they're are people out there waiting to take there credit card numbers and social security numbers, and they're right, there are, but you just have to use common sense.

I know there's a lot of lurkers around.  Even me, I read whats going on but don't really post all that much,but I come to this website just about everyday.

Lurk on lurkers!

Jim

sawdustar

Every time I see this thread topic......it makes me want to finish the saying.......

You can lead a horse to water, but if you can make him float on his back? Then you've got something.  :P  ;D
Thanks a Bunch,
Dennis Peacock

hidebound

I am a lurker also. I am also a 2 finger typist, graduated in 75 and like Sofadoc never forsaw the need for typing. Thats not what makes me a lurker though I read every post. Im on here a couple of times a week. Lack of knowledge for the subject is usually what keeps me quiet.

Darren Henry

QuoteHey, poor typing skills doesn't keep ME away

I've been here since Christ was a  lance jack and centurian was a rank,not a tank ; and no one has commented on the fact that the is spelled teh in every one of my posts. I love hanging out with QUALITY PEOPLE ' especially ones this gifted and well rounded. Thanks for keeping me around and being so friendly all these years.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

bobbin

Maybe the typing thing was more directed at girls... you know the whole "vocational" thing and the secretarial option.  I was college bound and knew I'd have to type papers (professors don't accept papers that are untyped) so I figured it would be a good thing to know how to do!  Turns out it was, too; I made rather a lot of "pocket money" typing papers for those who didn't know how.!  I was pretty busy long about mid-term.  :)

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on September 17, 2010, 01:13:57 pm
I was college bound and knew I'd have to type papers (professors don't accept papers that are untyped) so I figured it would be a good thing to know how to do!  Turns out it was, too; I made rather a lot of "pocket money" typing papers for those who didn't know how.!  I was pretty busy long about mid-term.  :)

It's soooo much easier now. You just pull up a few sources on the web, do a little cutting and pasting, and click "Print" ;)