Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 01:46:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

You Meet the Strangest People

Started by Mojo, January 07, 2013, 05:04:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I was up at an RV Resort today checking out some awnings and slide toppers that a customer wanted replaced on his Newell. If no one has ever seen a Newell bus
they are very high end buses and are extremely tall and they have no access ladder at the back. So after dangling off a ladder getting measurements to make new ones for my customer I came down and was jotting some notes down on a clip board when  a guy walks up to me with a little dog.

He sticks his hand out and shakes my hand and says Hi, I am Gary. " I have a lock that is about ready to break on my coach and was wondering if maybe you had time to fix it today. I am afraid I am going to end up locked out or locked inside the coach. " He went on explaining about this locking mechanism, how it works and what is broke and the new part that needs to be installed. I finally got a break in his long explanation to say " Gary, I am sorry but I am not an RV tech. I am here to get measurements to make these people new awnings and slide toppers. He apologized profusely and said he thought I was an RV tech.

We spent another 30 minutes talking about RV's, sharing some funny stories and laughing a lot. He shook my hand and wandered off with his little dog.

Gary actually was Radar O Reilly from the hit TV series MASH. If your wondering what he is like in real person...........he is all Radar...100 %. No difference between the real Radar and Gary. In 2006 while in San Diego we were parked with William Golden of the Oak Ridge Boys and him and I spent a couple hours talking about old houses and farms. You meet the darndest people in these RV Resorts.  ;D

Chris

sofadoc

January 07, 2013, 06:56:30 pm #1 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:32:00 pm by sofadoc
I don't think that I would've recognized Radar, unless his voice was coming out of a triangular cone-shaped speaker at the top of a wooden pole.

BTW Do you know that the TV show lasted nearly 4 times as long as the actual Korean war?

Quote from: Mojo on January 07, 2013, 05:04:45 pm
You meet the darndest people in these RV Resorts.  
I'm sure HE was thinking the same thing. ;D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

The greatest thing about this business is all the interesting people you meet.

I've done work for

A fellow who builds skyscrapers in NYC.
The basketball coach for the Citadel.
Professors at the University of Florida.
The man in charge of all operations of Coca Cola in Florida.
Bank Presidents, District attorneys, County commissioners, and the Mayer of Gainesville.

And you know, just like Gary Burghoff, they were all just as human and friendly as you and me. That's what makes this business a joy to be in.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Some of my most prestigious customers were also among the nicest.

I've done work for the Bonhams, who own the company that makes  J-B Weld.
Baseball greats Mickey Mantle,  Monty Stratton, and Mel Hall.
Stanley Marcus (of Nieman Marcus fame). BTW He died owing me money.
TV show "Walker Texas Ranger".
And the parents of Jerry Hall, wife of Mick Jagger.

And a man who designed a toy that was used in McDonald's Happy Meals. His royalty was a nickel per toy. He received a check for $13 million.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

My most famous. Ustomer sas  barry goodroe of the band boston.
Followed with sidney porties' cousin. And an enron  managment officer