Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:24:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Your Going to be Proud of Me

Started by Mojo, December 27, 2011, 06:53:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Dennis mentioned something a while ago about taking better care of myself and slowing down a little. It got me to thinking about things. Well gang your never going to believe this but............ I no longer do solar screen installs.

I now make them and then pay a buddy of mine who is an RV Technician to install them. In the past I wouldn't trust anyone else to do my installs so I always did them. But the working off a ladder and the time it took got to be to much.
It is working out great and I have helped keep him busy as well. He did a big job for me the other day and did an awesome job.

On another note, I just got the biggest awning job I have ever had. 8 awnings for one coach. I never knew a bus could have that many. He had Sunbrella fabric on his awnings and they have all stretched out and turned to crap in addition to the thread breaking. This is a very high end $ 600,000 bus so the pressure is on to turn out awesome awnings for him.

The hilarious part is he scheduled the work for February when he travels here from Texas but called me the other day and wanted an invoice. He said he wanted to pay me in full right away so he could get the tax write off................lol. It is the first time I have ever had a customer ask to pay me in full before I started the work. :)

Anyways, just wanted to let ya'll know ( especially you Dennis ) I took your advice and am giving out some of my work. :)

Chris

gene

Your post reminds me of a line from one of my favorite poems, Desiderata:

"Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth."

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Happy New Year Chris. It's going to be an awesome one.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

mike802

Chris:  Glad to hear your getting some help, this should free up some time so you can spend more time in the shop making more product  ;D  Be careful my friend.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

bobbin

It seems there is a lot of that reflection going on around here.  Excellent move, Mojo!

Sometimes what is required is some careful introspection about where we are in our lives, where we wish to be in a year from now, and what is the best route to achieve it all.  Me? I called a book keeper friend of mine and signed on as one of his first clients.  We went over the "plan of attack" and in no time flat I was fully with the program and had my first "homework assignments" and all of a sudden it's easier than it was before.  Breaking tough things into manageable portions is the way to slog through it.  Good for you!

But sometimes it takes too much stress and too much feeling pulled in multiple directions to really "get your attention".  I applaud you, this coming year is indeed going to be a good one. 

Darren Henry

>:(,'Bout time Jar Head [heels together You were scaring us old pop gunners. I think this was a great move and hope your relationship with his other chap lasts both of you through until retirement.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on December 27, 2011, 06:53:18 am
In the past I wouldn't trust anyone else to do my installs so I always did them.
Man, I know what you mean. I don't even trust anyone but me to deliver the furniture that I've just recovered. I have a decorator that uses her own delivery guys. Over half the time, after they've delivered, I get a call from the decorator saying the customer has some "concerns".

When I get to the home, I find the skirt wrinkled all to hell because they were too lazy (or just too stupid) to lift the skirt out of the way when picking the sofa up. And the cushions are placed every way but the right way. Apparently, delivering a couch is comparable to rocket science.

But it sounds like you've found a competent installer. Believe me, if I could find someone to do some of the more skillful "grunt work", I would.
Glad you found someone to take some of the load off.

Now, your only worry is how to blow that big cash advance you got. ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on December 27, 2011, 03:13:21 pm

Now, your only worry is how to blow that big cash advance you got. ;)

If you need any help I have a few ideas.  :D
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

Sounds likea good Aragon ent Chris so what it heike a sub.
I've gotten paid upmcront on some small jobs. I don't like it. It takes all the fun out of ddonnishing thebjob money wise     Ive also got mg largest job to date commit up quick.

Mojo

Yes Mike, he is a sub. He owns his own company and I just contract through him. Works out great as I do not need to get into any of the employee stuff ( workers comp, taxes, etc. ).

Chris