Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 07:26:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

WHAAA I hate stupid

Started by Darren Henry, January 21, 2016, 05:41:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

So I got voluntold to work our booth at ag days [10 acre indoor trade show for farmers etc...] this year because the boss and his lady friend (no involvement in the business) are in New Orleans ordering our stock for this season at a huge show. I've got enough second hand knowledge about hitches and truck accessories etc... to field alot of the questions and enough common sense to fess up if I can't find something in a timely fashion in the milk crate full of catalogs we take with us, so normally working a show is no big deal. this show I had so many red herring questions and thick headed people that I have come home with a head ache every night.

Even with my socks off I couldn't count the number of times per day I had to explain and price out hitches and truck accessories to Hutterites. They don't "own" vehicles. they live communally on colonies and one guy is in charge of all there vehicles!!!It's like every soldier with standing orders asking about pimping out her Majesties ( or Uncle Sam's) deuce and a half.  NO--go get the Sgt. from the motor pool---we'll talk!

I spent 15 minutes flipping through every catalog we had looking for very specific accessories for a '94 ford truck. When I couldn't find any one carrying those parts for older than 08, the guy says " yeah I couldn't find anything on line either". I'm glad they made me turn in my pacestick! Stupid poopsicle.

Another big draw to our booth is the super glide hitch which automatically moves your 5th wheel back when turning so you don't take the rear window etc.. out of your truck with the 5 1/2' box. We have a little video loop that plays beside it so people stop and ask alot of usually dumb questions and then after the demo go " cool thanks", or I should tell my brother about this thing, maybe he and I could build one". That got real old, real quick.

The capper is my boss with his selective math. You work for an hour on his stuff -----5 minute job/ you work 5 minutes on a paying job--------that's an hour. Same with sales. If in the last 12 months someone mentions seeing us at the show or having done business with us at the show-- he sold it at the show. His goal for me for these three days was $30K. I've been here 6 years and have never seen him sell that amount. He has slipped a decimal if it was a good year. Day one we sold 1 item for $14-95. We had 2-3 transactions the last two days. Monday ( and the next couple of weeks) I get to hear about what a great salesman he is and how I ruined the show 'cause I couldn't sell life jackets on the Titanic. He would have cleared out our entire inventory and taken deposits on the next shipment. Another poopsicle saved.

Thanks for letting me rant guys/gals. I owe you.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Darren:

Sorry the ag show is such a pain in the wazoo.  I am amused to hear someone talking about a deuce and a half.  Used to drive those darn things in the Reserves and absolutely hated shifting all those gears.  My ex was the motor pool sgt and always volunteered me to drive one, even though he knew how much I hated them.  Jerk!

We also have an ag show here.  It's called Husker Harvest Days and they have an on-site farm to demonstrate new irrigation techniques, planting and so forth.  I don't leave the house those 3 days as I've never seen traffic snarls like when all the farmers come to the "big city".  LOL

It's all over now, right?

Virginia

Mojo

I do these shows all over the place. As a matter of fact I am just gearing up for my first event next month. We increased ( the lady bosses did mind you ) my show schedule and I am doing some huge events this year. I think they like it when I am out of the shop and on the road. :)

I am not looking forward to it. I will be on the road for several weeks at a time and have some very long drives ahead of me. Set up - do the show for 5 days - tear down and move on. I have an event in Indy this year and will be there for 6 days. I head up to MI to my sons for a week. Fly back to FL for 2 weeks then fly back to MI, get the bus and head back to Indy for another show with a different association. I have others booked in PA, GA, ILL and NM.

I am hoping this is my last year doing this alone. The wife unit is talking about retiring after the next school year and going on the road with me. We are light in sales out West so 2017 will be our big push out there. We are very lucky we have the coach as we do not have to waste money living in hotel rooms like hobo's. But, as yo know, it is tiring and I HATE setting up our booth and taking it down.

I feel for you brother. These events can really take it out of you and so can the people. I nearly attended the event in New Orleans. That is a massive show. :(

CHris

Darren Henry

Thanks Chris. I wish you the best with your shows, I sure wouldn't want to do your tour. Especially outside my "field of expertise" like this one.

Virginia. a  little tough to field demos here right now LOL. [although we are having extremely mild weather this weekend and next week. roughly 28 F today and 34-ish tomorrow afternoon].

Our deuces had automatic transmissions, even they were circa 1953. Our 5 tons were standard though. The MLVW [medium logistics vehicle wheeled] that replaced the deuce was also automatic. They were more comfortable, especially the gun tractor mods. with padded seats and a heater in the back and a bussle underneath for the shells. That made them pretty high too jump out of and they only had a single speed transfer case though. If I ever win the lottery I'm going to make a motorhome out of one of the old '53 patterns. grin.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Quote from: Mojo on January 22, 2016, 05:17:43 am
We are very lucky we have the coach as we do not have to waste money living in hotel rooms like hobo's. But, as yo know, it is tiring and I HATE setting up our booth and taking it down.

probably if you wernt a RVer shris you wouldn't have started you business.  I know if I wasn't a boater I wouldn't be doing this.

I used to do the local boat shows my busiest year I did 2 indoor and 2 outdoor shows. I found they were a good way to get established in the area but I wont be doing any again.