Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 07:29:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Shake & Bake

Started by Mojo, June 24, 2010, 04:26:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I see the temps have been outrageously high lately in the North. I also just seen where Canada, ( our 51'st State ) just got smacked with an earthquake.

My question is, what are you Canadians doing up there ? You messing with Mom nature again ?

I have been reading all over the Internet where the Cannucks were shocked by the earthquake because they have never felt one before. Did any of you Northerners feel it ?

Chris

Mike8560

grew up in California till I was 10. We had them all the time I remember waking up Inmy topbunk bed rocking to and fro and the ladder bouncing on the side also water splashing out of our pool :)
my mom was in a panic sliding down to the floor in a doorway

Can-Vas

Awww, they made such a big fuss in Ontario over a 5.0. 
We get those little "shakers" all the time here on the west coast of Canuck-land.
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

Jim101

I grew up in San Diego, California and we had them regularly down there.

Since living in Washington, 18 miles from Canadian border, you just kind of get used to 'em.

Used to be when we were kids we would get up on the back of the sofa and pretend like we were surfing the earthquake.  I'd do it now but I'm a bit older and probably shouldn't  :P

Man!  Those were the days!

gene

This hot weather seems to happen every year, about this same time.

Hum? Global warming?

Or maybe................................summer?

I often quote a line from the movie Biloxi Blues around this time of year:
"It's hot. Africa hot. Even Tarzan would think this is hot!"

Drink a lot of water folks, before, during, and after you are out in the heat.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Peppy

I heard something funny but thought it was blasting from a nearby quarry or one of they're trucks. Some people said they felt it.

4 or so years ago there was one in the middle of Georgian Bay much closer to us and we felt that one (a 4.5 or something) we lived on the 3rd floor of a crappy brick building and thought it was the end of the world. I blame the building more than the earthquake though. Standing on the patio with more than 2 people felt like imminent death earthquake or no.

☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Darren Henry

QuoteDid any of you Northerners feel it ?

Way too far east of me. Even when I 'm home in Kenora Ont. I'm closer to VAncouver than Ottawa.

Quotewhat are you Canadians doing up there ? You messing with Mom nature again ?

I would guess that that is our oil you've been pumping out down there and this was an air bubble much like when your jerry can goes "glug" "glug" because you didn't open the vent.  ;D

QuoteCanada, ( our 51'st State )

You know, your new White house is alot closer than the old one was.
Don't make me and the boys row down there with a book of matches again.  :P

( do not send the swat team; It's friendly banter between the Col. and I)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike8560

Uh oh Darren better watch out for the black helicopters :)

Mojo

Vancouver ?  Is that even in North America ?

I still do not know why we just do not annex Canada and Mexico and call it good. Heck we could do an exchange between the cannucks and the bandidos ?

Tell ya what Darren. I will give you all of DC ( and its inhabitants ) for your oil sand fields. :) There is a lot more worth in your oil then in anyone in DC. :)

Chris

Mike8560

Quote from: Mojo on June 26, 2010, 04:11:23 am
the cannucks and the bandidos ?

Chris
hey that's sounds like a couple of biker gangs  ;)

Darren Henry

QuoteUh oh Darren better watch out for the black helicopters

I'm not worried.Much like the people from southern Ontario, American maps show a blob of real estate the size of Rhode island labelled "Rupert's land". LOL. Target acquistion would be a problem. 8)

QuoteTell ya what Darren. I will give you all of DC ( and its inhabitants ) for your oil sand fields.  There is a lot more worth in your oil then in anyone in DC.

Actually the oil patch is winding down. The big boom now is in Saskatewan ( that's the rectngular province in the middle for those with newer maps  ;D). How about Quebec and the french   speaking separatist for Peurto Rico and the Hawain islands?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

Speaking of Canada, I just watched a special on TV last night about how we are fishing out the worlds oceans. I had no idea that the Newfies fished out their Cod to the point that the government shut down all commercial fishing of Cod. They stated that it put 40,000 Newfies out of work.

I have also heard they have a hard time finding oil workers and the Newfies refuse to leave their area for work elsewhere.

Any truth to all this ?

Chris

gene

I saw a documentary recently where Canada factories were making fish sticks. They buy blocks of frozen fish from... yes, China.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

QuoteThey buy blocks of frozen fish from... yes, China.

China is the least scary source. They can buy fish from anywhere on the planet and flog it (under Canadian laws) as "product of Canada" by sole virtue of greatest % of cost was paid in Canada. Scares ya to think the box cost more than the content.  >:(

QuoteI had no idea that the Newfies fished out their Cod to the point that the government shut down all commercial fishing of Cod. They stated that it put 40,000 Newfies out of work.

I have also heard they have a hard time finding oil workers and the Newfies refuse to leave their area for work elsewhere.

there is some truth and a lot of mis-information there. I've been stuck to the phone for an hour and two more calls to make before I can eat . I'll get back to you ASAP. I'm sorry.

Darren Henry

when they realized that the cod stocks were in decline they introduced some very tight quotos but that didn't stop foreign fisherman. Then green piece decided that seals were too cute to be part of the food chain and shut down the seal hunt despite warnings that seals eat cod. The seal population grew quickly and ate the rest of the cod. So yes it's true it happened and that alot of people had relied on that economy but I don't think it's fair to sayn thae Newfies overfished it.

I don't think that they are any more reluctant to leave their families and home to find work than any other demographic. In fact the opposite is probably true with 10% of the available workforce working away from home. When the tar sands were booming 1/3 of the workers in Fort Macmurray were from the Rock .

I've heard more stories of not being able to keep people in teh oil patch because of the retarded cost of living than of not being able to find replacements.