Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 02:50:43 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

my new toy-osborn U-CUT 410 foam saw

Started by penguin, June 22, 2010, 07:18:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

penguin

June 22, 2010, 07:18:13 am Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 07:21:01 am by penguin
I've been busy playing with it & here is my rude jig, sofadoc. Basically it's ramps with the angle of the cut that the saw slides on but it works pretty slick! I thought of making it adjustable, but no need right now. I f you don't have another pair of hands to help you out make sure that the foam is in tight for cutting. I found that I needed the foam to be in the center of the ramps for the best control of the cut. My ramps are a bit narrow-I need to widen them & I think the "jig" will be done. This basic model works for me & I have not needed to spray it with silicone yet. All that's needed now is to finish shaping it with the grinder & sander.

the price of this varied greatly from one vendor to another-i got mine at actionupholstery.

sofadoc

Pretty slick! Glad the saw is working out. On real dense foam, you probably won't need too much silicone ( at least as long as the blade doesn't get dull ).
Your pics on photobucket are first rate.
From the photos of the jig, it looks like you are making short strokes. Right?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

penguin

thanks sofadoc! And yes-short strokes with the saw- that's why I need to widen the ramps a bit-I fell off of them a few times before I got the hang of it. I've got plenty of scrap wood around so I'll keep tweaking until I get it where I need it.

Darren Henry

There's nothing wrong with your ramps Ev. What you need to do is get rid of that weenie "stock" blade and get yourself a fine toothed bandsaw blade about an inch and half wide. A couple of idler pulleys at the bottom and some drive wheels up top hooked up to a 399 Koelar (sp) like I had in my Skidaddler and you're off to a "tool time" interview.  :P.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

MORE POWER!!!!   HAW.....HAWHAWHAW........HAW!!!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

penguin

a wider blade would be good, but the ramps would be cheaper  :D

so, you had a daddler-I do have a 295 kohler I could hook up.............hmm-you might be on to something-move over tool man-Darren is moving in

Darren Henry

I'd never seen or heard of them until I found this one on the dump.[and none since]. Engine was seized,needed some fibreglass work,paint,decals etc but I restored it. There was enough of the seat left to pattern a new box and the boggies/track were not bad. I had to get the jackshaft rebuilt a couple of years later but not a bad project. I kept it stock except for the ski extensions.

Pretty kewl technology for 1970/71: electric start, storeage under the seat, and a built in kick stand. There was a spring loaded bar that wrapped around the gas tank ( '71 remember--- tank's in the back) that you could swing down to hold the track up off the ground.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!