Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 07:32:47 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

identify a material

Started by carter, June 25, 2010, 04:32:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

carter

not sure what this stuff is called but it was on the back of a cushion of a boat from the cuddy, it was grey looked like fiberglass..the cushion had a zipper sewn into in it..

do any of you know what it is????

Rusty
THE SEAT CLINIC

JuneC

Looks like Starboard with lots of fibers (fibres for those of the Brit persuasion) thrown in? 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

carter

i also noticed some on the bottom of my recliners, it feels pretty strong and you can see through it, it grey and if you mess with it alot it turns into fuzz.. i reused it on the cusion that i recovered but i had never seen this stuff before but i have only been doing this for 3 yrs so there is alot of stuff that i havent seen..just thought if someone knew what it was call i would try to find some, i think it would be pretty handy to have around..

JuneC

Oh, I thought you were referring to something solid - you're talking about underlining.  I'd never use the non-woven stuff on marine work.  The marine underlining is woven and won't rot when wet.  Comes in black and white. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

Up here they sell it as Typar . Available in black grey, and I believe white from some places. Personally I hate the junk; I much prefer Enbond. That's the dust cover material that looks like landscape fabric. In fact in a pinch I've gone down to Home hardware/Canadian tire/etc.. and grabed some landscape fabric to finish a project rather than wait for/pay shipping on enbond.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!