Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 08:39:36 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

53 Ford Windlace - 2dr post sedan

Started by baileyuph, May 26, 2010, 05:47:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Anyone who has got into the job of windlace for the 53 (specifically 2 dr post) will know what the small piece of rubber sewn into the edge of the windlace looks like; I could use that or a close simulation.

I have a piece of the original rubber, shaped like an "L", 1/8th inch thick and the legs (of the "L") are  1/4 inch and 3/8ths inch respectively.  The longer side is sewn into the edge of the windlace. 

The rubber is not real soft but enough for a needle to go through it.

I googled for vintage ford interior supplies, but was surprised how little I found.  Is there a forum or a link that would have resolved this to your knowledge.  The interest in this year must be small.

Thanks for any information. 

Doyle

SHHR

Go online and check, Mac's, Dennis Carpenter, or Earlyford.com. They all are excelent at ford reproduction  parts. You may also check out Kanter Auto Products, or Restoration Specialties. They carry lots of rarer items.
Kyle

M-E Fabrics

Doyle.
Try Metro Moulded Rubber.
http://www.metrommp.com/

They make ALOT of repro weather stripping and extruded rubber for antique autos.
We use a similar L extrusion to what you discribe for roll-up window wiper-seals. It's Metro's #LP107. You may have to trim back one leg of the "L".

Also Karr Rubber in Calif. makes just about all the extruded rubber that the other restoration parts supply guys sell.  They have a number of L shaped extrusions, but they don't list sizes in their catolog, just drawings printed close to actual size. You'll have to call and ask John to look, or ask him to send you a catolog and compare!  ;D

Karr Rubber MFG. 800-955-5277.

Good luck,
Paul.

baileyuph

First thanks to the responses to this question, your research and time given to responding is noteworthy.  Big Thanks!

Paul, I did take your idea and it will likely get me out of the woods, so to speak.  I am sewing  a stiff plastic bead to the windlace to for the "L" form, it looks like it will work.

There are times we have to think outside the box, for sure.  Walmart doesn't cover all requirements. ;)

Doyle