Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 04:51:49 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A day to give thanks.

Started by kodydog, November 22, 2012, 09:59:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

November 22, 2012, 09:59:52 pm Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:01:57 pm by kodydog
Thanksgiving dinner was at my sisters house and also shared my moms 80th birthday. After sitting for a delicious meal we said grace then each of us (9 total) gave personal thanks to my mother.

My message was;

1st I thanked her for teaching my sister to cook. And if you could have seen the spread you would know what I meant.

2nd I thanked her and my dad for moving us to Florida when I was a child where later I met my wonderful wife.

Then I told a story that happened at work these last few weeks,

There is a fellow I work with who is a real PITA. And for several week he kept telling me I must have lived a sheltered life. So the last time he mentioned this here is what I said.

Whats the matter Joe, did you have a rough child hood? And before he could answer I said, because I had a great one. My parents moved our family from Michigan to St Petersburg Beach when I was 10 years old. They always kept a roof over my head, made sure I had clean cloths to wear, and got a good education. They made sure I hung out with the right kids, went to church on Sunday and kept away from drugs and alcohol.

When I became a teen they gave me more freedom but I always knew if I ever had a problem I could depend on them to give me guidance and steer me in the right direction.

Then I told him, I think I turned out pretty good don't you.

I know this isn't the "sheltered life" he was talking about but in the end he was speechless.

This is a true story and everyone had a good laugh.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

November 23, 2012, 11:39:20 am #1 Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:39:57 am by gene
Many people live by the motto: "We all live miserable lives. Who gives you the right to be happy?" I enjoy staying away from these folks.

It's been quite awhile since I've had a day where I was not able to give thanks. I have occasionally been known to complain that I don't have anything to complain about.

It's not everyday that I can feel thankful AND stuff my face with turkey and all the trimmings.

Happy thanksgiving to you, too.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

At church a few weeks ago, the preacher asked how many people had won the lottery.

Then he said everyone won the lottery.  To be one of the 5% of the world's population to have been born in the United States and have the standard of living that we have.  In just about every way, we are way better off than the other 95% of the world.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mojo

Your very right Keith. I have been blessed with the chance to travel alot in the world. Most Americans really have no idea just how well off we really are.

Even during my travels in Europe I was surprised to see so many people riding bikes rather then driving ( gas at the time was over $ 6 gal ). Their homes are small and many live in row houses or flats.

Very few can afford an RV or a toy such as a boat, classic car, Harley, etc. . While material things may not be all that important I can say that one thing they do enjoy more then we do is less hours worked and more time off. But then they have little money to do anything during that time off.

I wont even get into other countries such as those found in Asia where they are worked like slaves and live in horrid conditions. Or maybe India where if your born into poverty you will remain in poverty.

When it comes right down to it, we do have it made in the USA.

Chris

sofadoc

I'm thankful that I still enjoy doing this every morning:

I'm NOT thankful for the mic on that little camera picking up every little grunting noise that I make. >:(
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Good posts y'all. You give me renewed faith in humanity.

Sofa, love your video. When I went back to work for my current employer he handed me a key and said, your opening. This time of year I open before daylight and get home after dark. Looks like your doing the same. I go through the same routine every morning.

Life is what you make it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html