Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 05:26:05 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Home sweet home

Started by kodydog, February 19, 2012, 06:20:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Home for good. If I ever say I'm going to work for someone else will somebody please come and smack me in the head.

Why do I do it? This is the second time in the last year I went to work for another shop and all I can say is, theirs nothing like working for yourself. Don't get me wrong, both shops were good places to work. Nice shop, good boss and friendly co-workers. But you lose some self esteem, power, control. What really did it this time was the one hour drive at 6 o-clock in the morning and gas prices are a killer right now. My shop is a 5 second walk from my house.

From now on its do or die. The wife and I have some good ideas to bring more business. All we have to do is implement them. While I was working these last 3 weeks my wife was taking orders and we now have about 5 weeks worth of work.

Sofadoc asked several months back, if you have the ability to work for yourself, why would you work for someone else? I can now see his point.

A fellow I worked for 10 years ago needs an upholsterer and asked if I would come work for him, at a fair wage, but 1 hour away. I'm going to have to turn him down.

Worked all day Sat and today in my own shop. Felt good.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

February 19, 2012, 07:59:24 pm #1 Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:11:17 pm by sofadoc
The great thing about being a self-employed upholsterer is.......you never have to wonder about the "path not taken".
You can explore other options. If they don't work out, you can always come back.
Many careers force you to close one door before opening another. But the door to your OWN shop is always open.
Sounds like Mrs. K-dog did a good job keepin' the home fire burnin'.
Welcome home.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

At this stage of my life, at my age, I couldn't work for anyone else. I can barely stand working for myself.......:)

Kody, if there is anything I can do to help you make a go of it with your own shop
( business/marketing, etc. ), let me know.

Chris

bobbin

Now you had to go and post that didn't you, Kody.?  ;)

I think that nearly every single day.  But I still have things that have to get done (and I have been dragging my feet in that respect).  I particularly hear the comment about fuel prices and I don't see that improving anytime soon, so minimizing the expense is probably a very good move. 

I really feel the lack of control.  It's a drag to have every single decision I make in the course of a project second-guessed; it's not like I'm new to the work, afterall.  It makes me feel small and diminished, not respected for the competent, skilled tradesman I am.  Even though I know it's not really about me/my skills at all, it still grinds me down. 

Good move, Kody.! sounds as though you've arrived at a good place in your in head with respect to self-employment.  I'm happy for you. 

Mike

Glad your happy and back kody. I'm
Like  Chris to old to work for someone 

kodydog

Quote from: bobbin on February 20, 2012, 03:57:05 am

I really feel the lack of control.  It's a drag to have every single decision I make in the course of a project second-guessed; it's not like I'm new to the work, afterall. 

The cool thing about the job I just gave up is the boss was gone 90% of the time. They needed someone who could do each piece start to finish without having to ask a lot of questions.

My biggest problem, when I work for someone, paid by the hour, is I try to push myself. No unscheduled breaks, no standing around gabbing, Keep my nose in the work. And I beat myself up when I make a mistake and have to back up. This creates a lot of self imposed pressure. I'm sure over time that would lighten up a little but I hate that feeling.

Thanks for the kind words all and Chris I will keep you in mind.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html