Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 05:07:44 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How do you make more revenue on repairs

Started by kodydog, January 16, 2012, 07:13:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

January 16, 2012, 07:13:37 am Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 07:21:27 am by kodydog
Just finished a repair on a leather sofa. When we went to look at it the back of the simi-attached cushions appeared to be falling through the springs. It looked terrible. The husband wanted to junk it and buy new but the wife wanted to have it fixed because it matched a loveseat that was in like new condition.

There was a small hole on the back of one of the cushions so I stuck my hand inside to see what was going on.

The seating area had no springs just elastic webbing. But the foam felt fine so I told the homeowners I could fix it for less than $200. The hubby was still skeptical but the wife prevailed.

I added more webbing to the seat and did some work to the simi-attached cushions and in the end built a much stronger seating area.

My question is how do you convey to the public that it is more economical to have their furniture repaired (even the cheap stuff) rather than buying new? How do you get the message out there?

We just posted this add on craigslist,

Need repairs to your upholstered furniture? I can help. I have been upholstering for 30 years. Most serious structural repairs (broken wood in frame, new firmer cushions etc.)can be
remedied under $200.00--including pu/del. Other less serious repairs can be done also. Email me
to see what your repair would cost. If you do your own pu/del then it is way less.
References gladly furnished.

Are you finding cheap furniture becoming a new source of revenue because of repairs that look (to the lay person) hard to fix but are often simple?

I'm just thinking instead of complaining about all the cheep stuff coming out of China this is a great way to make some extra cash. And there is plenty of it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I seem to have an easier time selling the customer on repairs than I do a complete re-upholster job.
They can't seem to justify spending over a grand to recover their old couch when they can just replace it for the same money. BUT they CAN justify spending a couple hundred just to fix a $500 sofa.
People....go figure.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Yep, I do repairs only, no re-upholstery work except for the occasional new panel.

As long as the Chinese keep making furniture they way they are, I'll have lots of work.   When I started in the business almost 10 years ago, I was told that the Chinese would improve their quality.  I guess that person was thinking of the way the Japanese went from shoddy to world quality goods.   I can't see that it's happening at all.

Two of the jobs today:
- A recliner footrest that was 1" too wide to fit in the spot that was available to it.
- A sofa and chair where the spring units have been falling out of the frame (this is the third time for these two pieces)

Next up:
- A recliner where if you pull back the seat cushion, there are dozens of staples either pulling out or never set fully and where you can feel the wood through the armrests (this piece is only 3 months old).  This manufacturer has the gall to limit the repairs to $45.  Fortunately, the retailer is picking up the rest of the service call or I'd tell them to take a long walk.   The only way I could do it for $45 is for the consumer to bring it to me, drop it off and come back in a few days after I've found time to work on it when I wasn't doing something else.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

bobbin

I can't really speak to furniture repair but I can speak to repairs to marine canvas.  Oftentimes customers think they need a completely new canvas job (often in the thousands of dollars) when 4-5 hrs. of repair work, a couple of new zippers, and maybe some new "glass" will give them another 4-5 yrs. of service for under $500. 

I think the key is to get the word out that you are willing to do repairs, a lot of shops don't want to be bothered.  But if you're good at diagnosing the problem and you are an organized and methodical worker you will be able to accurately estimate the repair time required and it will be a money maker for you. 

Those two things have been the key to success with respect to clothing alteration and repair.  I know economic times are tough when I get more calls for repair work; when I am asked about replacing zippers and elastic I know that money is tight for people. 

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on January 16, 2012, 07:13:37 am
Are you finding cheap furniture becoming a new source of revenue because of repairs that look (to the lay person) hard to fix but are often simple?

I'm just thinking instead of complaining about all the cheep stuff coming out of China this is a great way to make some extra cash. And there is plenty of it.

This is actually a subject that is near and dear to my heart. In previous discussions both here, and carrscorner I have gathered that many upholsterers consider it beneath them to work on cheapo furniture.

From one angle, I can see their point. Much the same way an actor who takes roles in bad movies can become "typecast", and can no longer land any good parts, an upholsterer who takes in low budget jobs can alienate himself from the high-end designers. 

But say what you will about the low-end crap. It's easy and profitable to fix.
You may ask "But Doc, where's your sense of pride for a quality job?"
A sense of pride doesn't pay bills. But fixing cheapo stuff sure does!!

I still do enough mid to high grade furniture to keep my sanity, so I'm not passing up those cheap crap repairs.

If you can't beat 'em, might as well make money off 'em.

bobbin

I get the very same reaction when I say I'm willing to repair clothing, horse blankets, or canvas that is frequently dirty. 

Beneath me?  I don't think so!  I know that my ability to accurately assess the repair needs and how to perform them efficiently defines me as a good deal more than "capable".  It takes a tremendous amount of skill and professional acumen to repair things quickly, properly, and neatly!

I also see work that is basically pure profit.  I use scraps to patch, I charge full mark up for zippers, plastic, notions, and my time is charged for the time required to perform the work.  Repair work is great money, at least for me!

Peppy

Quote from: bobbin on January 16, 2012, 01:45:25 pm
I can't really speak to furniture repair but I can speak to repairs to marine canvas.  Oftentimes customers think they need a completely new canvas job (often in the thousands of dollars) when 4-5 hrs. of repair work, a couple of new zippers, and maybe some new "glass" will give them another 4-5 yrs. of service for under $500. 

I think the key is to get the word out that you are willing to do repairs, a lot of shops don't want to be bothered.  But if you're good at diagnosing the problem and you are an organized and methodical worker you will be able to accurately estimate the repair time required and it will be a money maker for you. 

Those two things have been the key to success with respect to clothing alteration and repair.  I know economic times are tough when I get more calls for repair work; when I am asked about replacing zippers and elastic I know that money is tight for people. 

Totally. Good money in repairing canvas. Keep a quick turnaround and don't forget anything, and in 5-7 yrs. you'll make his new one.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on January 16, 2012, 08:12:25 am
I seem to have an easier time selling the customer on repairs than I do a complete re-upholster job.
They can't seem to justify spending over a grand to recover their old couch when they can just replace it for the same money. BUT they CAN justify spending a couple hundred just to fix a $500 sofa.
People....go figure.

Sofa I often get a different response. When I quote a $200 repair usually the Husband thinks its better to buy a brand spanking new $600 sofa. Maybe that's where salesmanship comes into play. And I do try to turn it on.

Its easy to blame the Chinese for the cheap crap coming out of their country but really, its designed here. You could say, but they take our design and butcher it all up. But if that's the case than the companies here should not except it, or send it back. I would think we have people there inspecting it before its shipped here.

Quote from: bobbin on January 16, 2012, 01:45:25 pm

Very good point Bobbin. I've worked for two shops that did not do repair work. They were either too busy or just weren't set up to do that type work. Furniture stores want a quick turn around. They don't want to keep their customers waiting. I once took two weeks to repair a sofa for a furniture store I do a lot of business with. He didn't stop using me but he did say something about the time.

So Hammer how do you advertise? Or is it just getting out there and meeting the store owners. What do you say and how do you convince them to use you, rather than the shop there currently using?  How do you get enough business to "do repairs only"?

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on January 16, 2012, 06:56:48 pm
Maybe that's where salesmanship comes into play. And I do try to turn it on.
Well, it certainly isn't because of any great salesmanship prowess that I possess.  ;)

As much as I like doing repairs, I really don't go out of my way to encourage them.
I explain to them as tactfully as possible that it is an inexpensive piece, and just because I fix the current problem, that doesn't mean that something else isn't going to break. In other words..... NO WARRANTY.

It's nothing for furniture stores to bring me the same piece multiple times. But it's always for a different problem. The repairs that I make seem to hold up (at least better than the rest of the piece).

I give the stores the option. I can "just fix what's broke", or I can do preventive maintainence. After weighing the cost, they always opt for "just fix what's broke".

Getting back on topic (making MORE revenue from repairs), I think your Craigslist idea is a good one. And the whole website keyword thing wouldn't hurt, either.
If I did a  Google search for "furniture repair" in your area, would it pick up keywords from your website?

Mike

Quote from: sofadoc on January 16, 2012, 08:12:25 am
People....go figure.

well i might spend the 200 to fix and not have to buy new but if im spending as muvh to buy im sick of looking at my couch ive had for the last 8 years anyway. different house it dosent really go well anyway.

kodydog

Hay Mike I can give you the names of a few good upholsterers.  ;)

Grebo

Quote from: bobbin on January 16, 2012, 03:30:51 pm
I get the very same reaction when I say I'm willing to repair clothing, horse blankets, or canvas that is frequently dirty. 

Beneath me?  I don't think so!  I know that my ability to accurately assess the repair needs and how to perform them efficiently defines me as a good deal more than "capable".  It takes a tremendous amount of skill and professional acumen to repair things quickly, properly, and neatly!

I also see work that is basically pure profit.  I use scraps to patch, I charge full mark up for zippers, plastic, notions, and my time is charged for the time required to perform the work.  Repair work is great money, at least for me!

Me too  ;D

I have a great little line, replacing the doorway zips in caravan awnings.
Many people have their caravans & awnings set up around here permanente year in year out with the main wear & tear being the main door zip. I did my first one for a little old lady, years ago, I returned it the same day & she was over the moon. I have since seen one or two really bad jobs done, where the doors no longer line up. Naturally you can hardly see my replacements which makes people happy, I still get calls from a couple of sites from my old patch, occasionally they have a day trip to visit me & get the job done while they tour the city.
It's a simple job if you take the time to line it up, costs are low & I can make a nice profit without ripping the customers off.

Suzi

Mojo

I no longer do repairs. I restitched an awning and it left my machine filled with dirt and sand. I spent half an hour cleaning it later and more time cleaning up all the sand and dirt from the cutting table and grooves.

I have a soft spot for seniors and took in another job doing a re-stitch on some awnings. Same thing, dirt, sand, pollen and grime all over the machine and under neath it and all over the cutting area.

Screw it, it isn't worth it to me for $ 50 or a $ 100 bucks. Sand and dirt in a sewing machine is not a good thing.

Chris

rustyeod

I can only speak for the marine side of the business.  We do repairs and find it a good money maker.  Of course it sure does help having your shop in a marina with a large maintenance yard. Zippers and glass replacement seem to be the highest demand but patching a hole with scraps and putting in a new snap is sometimes all that is needed and the customer leaves knowing he saved money.  There are a few other canvas shops in the area and 3 out of 4 would rather not do repairs.   The sign outside my shop says that we do repairs and I feel that is what people want to do in these trying times instead of buyin new.    Yes we do have to charge for our time and any new materials and why should anyone expect to not be charged.  The reccomendations and comeback business is the only advertising we need and with only two of us in the shop we stay busy with new projects and repairs.

lc

February 29, 2012, 05:49:48 am #14 Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:55:27 am by lc
What a diversity of opinions on furniture repair here !
., I am intrigued how it affects different businesses in so many different ways...I agree sewing dirty old awnings and such are a real pain .there are a lot of jobs like that for sure that aren't worth the hassle.

At times doing a sofa cushion repair would have been quicker to cut a new one and sew it up for all the fiddling you have to do with it.

I too do well with doing furniture repairs , If I am at a busy peak I'll send them elseware but when its a bit slower you can make a good buck at it.

Some jobs are in and out nice and quick and payed well for it using only your labour
Footrests too wide as one said and everything in between and I agree as long as they make that  crap we'll be busy...

A customer will grumble about the price I give to recover then they'll go one to say I paid 400. dollars for this chair !
I say well it's going to cost 300 to fix it thinking they'll fall over only to find they go for it !? 100 dollars more and they could have had a brand new chair with better reinforcment.
Consumers are a real mix you never can tell what their responses will be.