Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 08:08:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Am I being sexist, nit picking, or am I right on!

Started by gene, May 08, 2011, 08:23:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

First of all, I absolutely love that this lady has put her video on youtube. There are so many great furniture frames out there that are finding their way to the dumps when they could easily last for another 75 to 100 years if taken proper care of.

Second, I commend this lady for wearing eye protection while working on furniture.

Now, for those of you not in the good ol' US of A, "nit picking" means: Minute, trivial, unnecessary, and unjustified criticism or faultfinding.

At about 30 seconds into this video, she says, "It's really important that you use your tools in the way that they are designed."

What she is doing is hammering a staple puller with a pair of pliers. She then explains how you need to make sure you are holding the staple puller in your non dominant hand and the pliers in your dominate hand.

But what about people who are ambisinistrous?

So, here's a few quotes:

Penn State Environmental Health and Safety: Never use pliers as a hammer or hammer on the handles. Such abuse is likely to result in cracks or breaks.

Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety: Do not use pliers as a hammer.

Stanley: Do not use pliers as a hammer, screwdriver or pry bar.

MasterCraft: Never use pliers as a hammer or hammer on the handles. They will crack or break.

Graybar: Never use pliers as a hammer or hammer on the handles. They will crack or break.

Here's the link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImFLwk2abM0

So, what do you think? Sexist, nit picking, or am I right on!

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

alge

The right tool for the right job springs to mind...........er um that would be a mallet then.

Thanks for sharing that gene it made me chuckle a little at the end with the strap line "upholstery like a professional".

what tool abuse do you get in lesson 2?

Mike8560

May 08, 2011, 10:14:51 am #2 Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:19:38 am by Mike8560
IVe got a nice little plastic mallet I'd use

funny on the non dominate hand for the remover  there.
I'm a lefty writing, painting a widow sash.  sissors go in My right hand just like a hammer or baseball bat and a catchng MIT I catch better righty  So baseball was out.  I can't really mix them up abidextousl the hammer is always righty.  So I'd use the staple pulled in my dominate left hand and mallet righty
I'd raher have a good hand on the sharp
tool. Thigh my right hand is my stronger hand for the sissors and in had wresle righty along with a hammer

so I'd say Not nit nitpickey  
I gueeseim just odd  

kodydog

On staples I just man handle them out with my staple puller. With tacks I  whack my staple puller with my tack hammer turned sideways. Probably not an OSHA approved method.

I can see what she's doing. She hits the puller with her pliers and if the staple doesn't come out she can pull it with the pliers without having to grab another tool.

Don't know if your being sexist but if you are you picked the wrong shop to pick on. Go to her web site (very cool) you'll see all the employes are female.
http://spruceaustin.com/
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I use a pair of tile nippers that I modified for pulling staples. I use it in conjunction with a Berry's staple remover. And yes, I use the tile nippers to hammer the Berry's with sometimes. I guess that I'm violating all kinds of international laws. :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kiwistuffer

Have to agree with the OP, if you are trying to teach someone you should at very least show them the correct way and the correct tools.In this case she should have been using a ripper chisel and mallet and when removing tacks always go with the grain of the timber.I would have got a wack round the ear as apprentice if I did it her way.....

jojo

Gene, would you have had the same criticism if a man made the same video with the same mistakes? If so then you are not sexist.
On the other hand, that you brought sexism into it at all implies that you think maybe she is doing it wrong because she's a girl? I dunno...girls, what do you think??

alge

Quote from: sofadoc on May 08, 2011, 10:33:55 am
I use a pair of tile nippers that I modified for pulling staples. I use it in conjunction with a Berry's staple remover. And yes, I use the tile nippers to hammer the Berry's with sometimes. I guess that I'm violating all kinds of international laws. :D

:o  ;D

If I'm honest.............well who doesn't bang the odd staple down with the head of the gun or use a regulator for picking out hard to get at staples. Saying that though " Striking Metal on Wood can never be good"  ;). I find the berry remover has been rendered less useful due to the poor quality of staple wire, hardwood under 8% moisture just grips them too well and the staples (71 series) snap all to often, I like using the spade type more often on show wood chairs these days. What are most of your frames made from? Ours tend to be Beech, do you get that in the states?

Kody,I have to admit your right her web site is pretty cool with some very "on trend" looking furniture scattered through there.

sofadoc

May 08, 2011, 11:55:59 am #8 Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 03:11:26 pm by sofadoc
By using the pliers as a hammer, she doesn't have to lay a hammer, or mallet down in order to pick up the pliers to pull out a protruding staple.
If the only harm in using pliers to hammer with is that you shorten the life of the tool, big deal.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

CKKC

I have to say that when doing something of this nature I LOVE my fencing pliers!  They are a hammer, a puller, a wire cutter and are useful for various other operations!   Just add a staple
"loosener" and you have it made.

Mojo

Boy are you sexist Gene.   ;D

I guess my biggest question is not her using pliers as a hammer but why did her husband let her out of the
kitchen in the first place ? The only time a woman should be let out of the kitchen is to bring you the paper or a cold drink or to run the vacuum sweeper or do the laundry.   :o 8)

( Hides under his cutting table )

All kidding aside, I have found it easier to use a staple puller and mallet. But if she can do it with pliers, more power to her. I cannot say anything as I have been known to use tools improperly or for a job they were not designed for.

You should have seen the day I trimmed the hedges with my push mower ? :)

Chris

MinUph

I try to use my diagonal pliers as a hammer with the staple puller all the time to save a step but it never works out. I use a rubber mallet much quieter. I am generally a use the tool for it purpose ONLY kin of a guy but sometimes I slip. Maybe that's why it doesn't work.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

Quote from: Mojo on May 08, 2011, 01:11:47 pm
Boy are you sexist Gene.   ;D

You should have seen the day I trimmed the hedges with my push mower ? :)

Chris

my dad once hit a flower or a shun he shouldn't have and when my mother saw he never got his hands on the mower again. He had it all
planned. ;)

JuneC

Guess I've been doing it wrong for the past 6 years  :o  I've never hit my staple puller with anything.  I just shove it under the staple and pry. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

May 09, 2011, 07:36:31 am #14 Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:41:12 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
"Let the tool do the work", "Use as intended", sounds good, as long as you know what the tool is intended for.

As for being sexiest, some men don't like to hear anything from a woman about certain subjects, women sports castors come to mind.  Even if they are on point, informative,very insightful, a lot of men don't want their sports news being delivered by a woman.

I got one here y'all'all;

A man and son are in terrible car accident, the man is airlifted to one local hospital, the boy to another.  The doctors begin operating on the man immediately.  They take the boy into the operating room to operate, when the doctor looks down, and says "I cannot operate on this boy, this is my son."

How could this be?  See below;

The Doctor is the boy's Mom