Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 01:24:09 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Paying at a restaurant

Started by sofadoc, February 08, 2014, 09:09:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

I seldom eat out , but I know exactly how you feel. Coincidence ? maybe. I love Gene's approach---brilliant!! Have you considered talking to your BIL about this?

the best way to avoid a bar tab is to "herd" the clan to an unlicensed venue  ;)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Well, we had our big family dinner last night. The problem took care of itself. We were the last to arrive, so the seating arrangements, and the issue of "separate checks" had already been determined. I noticed that there was a lot less alcohol being consumed by the deadbeat members of the family that normally don't have to pry open their wallet.

Something I've always noticed at these gatherings. Booze makes even the most mediocre food SEEM a lot better. Usually, the drinkers in the family rave about this particular restaurant. But last night, not so much. Funny how a sober palate is more discerning.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

In my former life as a sales rep and sales manager, we had a lot of breakfasts/lunches/dinners for employees and customers, usually with an open bar for dinners, and occasionally lunches.

It was interesting the number of people who would stuff their faces far more than usual, and who would drink a lot more than they usually did, only because it was free.

I went to a class on how to wine and dine customers, and how to be wined and dined by vendors, without looking like a pig and without getting drunk. It was suggested that you never go to a business breakfast/lunch/dinner on an empty stomach.

"There's nothing wrong with gluttony, provided you don't over do it."

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Quote"There's nothing wrong with gluttony, provided you don't over do it."

gene

That is the best humor of the week!  Gene with a mind like that, that box is always open!

Good one!

Doyle

jojo

I am shocked at the number of teetotalers on this board. Especially you, Sofadoc. I could swear you were drunk while posting most of the time.   :P
I never have a problem choosing when to say separate checks or picking up the tab. I have a large family with 8 brothers, and they are the type to fight over the privilege of paying the bill. I don't know what that's about...is it an affront to your manhood if you don't pay for everybody?

baileyuph

February 09, 2014, 06:27:08 pm #20 Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:48:32 pm by DB
For myself, a sip or two is the best part of a drink.  No enjoyment is stuffing or being a drunk.  No fun in overdoing anything.  We aren't teens anymore.

Your health is at stake, so it all has to be considered.  I was at a technical presentation this past week, the conductor of the meeting drank six beers during the process (two hour presentation).  We heard comments afterward to the effect- that guy should watch it because of the 20 extra pounds during the last year or so.   Keeps this up it will only get worse.

Pay my own way is just trying to do what is proper, I dont have to pay for everyone else, I do pay for my girl friend, what a sport!  LOL.  Well, she does drive a Mercedes.  I am not all bad, hopefully.

Seriously, dealing with family and their relationship can be touchy in situations about some not seemingly ever pay while others are different.  Feelings can be touched both ways, something best to stay out of.

Glad it worked out for you and the family, Dennis.

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: jojo on February 09, 2014, 04:29:02 pm
I am shocked at the number of teetotalers on this board. Especially you, Sofadoc. I could swear you were drunk while posting most of the time.   
Are you kidding? If I were drunk, my posts might make more sense.

I certainly don't have any kind of "macho" thing about paying. When the check comes, I don't feel compelled to be the Alpha Male. I'll take care of my bill........you take care of yours.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I prefer coffee instead of tea. Although a nice Tia Chi Latte once in awhile can be good for what ails you.

I don't know why I don't drink alcoholic beverages. I think I just always preferred sofa pop or iced tea. Maybe I was born that way? Maybe it's learned behavior? Maybe it's a choice?

My son and his friends are into micro brewery beers. At his wedding in December I had a few beers at the wedding rehearsal dinner and at the wedding the next day. I got a good buzz both times.

I told my wife that I am going to start drinking a lot of alcoholic beverages every day so that when I have an occasional beer or two I won't get such a buzz.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

Quote from: sofadoc on February 09, 2014, 06:36:38 pm
I am shocked at the number of teetotalers on this board. Especially you, Sofadoc. I could swear you were drunk while posting most of the time.   
Are you kidding? If I were drunk, my posts might make more sense.
I though you were going to say they would look like my post lol sofa

Mike

February 10, 2014, 07:02:53 am #24 Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:44 am by Mike
I am shocked at the number of teetotalers on this board.
actually JoJo my father was a alcoholic all of my life so I didn't drink till I met my wife and had a few cocktails at a restaurant and she got me smoking. but I never drank other then that as I though it would be a message to me dad that its ok to get sloshed. after his death I have enjoyed a nice cold corona lately

ps divorced her and quit smoking too  20 years smoke free

bobbin

Booze is expensive (rightly so), even more so in a restaurant setting.  Pass the Ginger ale, willya?

A nice glass of wine with a meal is one of life's great benefits.  But personally? we'd rather work together to prepare our meal, clink our glasses, enjoy the meal, and postpone the dishes until the next day (when I will do them).

A cold G&T on the porch on a hot evening?  Wonderful!

forsailbyowner

FSBO:  I've never met cheaper people in the world than "blow boaters".  The wind is free and everything else ought to be?  Yeah, right.  Some of us actually know how to factor an occasional meal out into our expense accounts!
[/quote]

If you ever tried to maintain a full size sailboat youd understand more about sailors. The marine industry is so loaded with overpriced crap you just gotta wise up. An example, my little 4" raw water pump retails for $700 new. A service kit which is needed annually or more often costs $150.  By sourcing the seals and bearings from the manufacterers instead of the marine suppliers I pay less than $20. I could go on and on about the ripoffs going on. My boats new value is around $100,000. To keep it up the general rule of thumb is 10% per annum. By doing my own work, shopping around and being cheap Im not just giving my money awaywhich equates to my time on this earth away to shysters. Go ahead pay retail. Its your life your giving away. Im a good cook and a health nut since my soulmate passed away from cancer. Restaurants generally dont care if something is good for you, just that it tastes good. To me its like paying for the $150 kit when I can do better myself.