Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 02:47:19 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Please Give Me Your Input

Started by Mojo, March 25, 2011, 05:45:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I am at a cross roads and wanted everyone's advice here. I have a great deal of respect for everyone on this forum and I believe we have some intelligent minds. besides that when your standing inside the forest, it is best to get some on the hill to view things for you.

A little history first. I bought my first machine a couple years ago because I had a hard time finding a stitcher that was reasonable on price to do the interior on my classic car. I had quotes that were upwards of $ 10,000 for two bench seats and door panels. I was enraged with the prices I was getting and then they could careless if they got the work. I also seen their work at car shows and it sucked.

So I bought a machine and with the help of everyone here learned to sew. Ask some of the old timers here on this forum and they will tell you I drove them nuts with questions and problems.

Before long friends who knew I started sewing and owned a commercial machine started paying me to do small jobs for them. Then word spread and more jobs came in. And then more work came in.  The last couple months have been dead but work is starting to trickle in again because my name is getting spread around RV circles.

I am now at the crossroads. Most of you know I am battling leukemia so I do this work part time. I retired back in 2000 when I was diagnosed and had a bad stroke so I have a pension. I do not do this work for the income and to live but mainly because I love it and believe it or not on my bad days when my bone marrow is causing severe pain I can sit down at my machine and get lost in my own world. In other words, the pain becomes bearable.

I just found out that my name and quality of work is getting passed around to RV dealers, two of which are heavy hitters in this State. I also just wrapped up a co-op advertising deal with an RV glass company and we will start doing cross promotion. They are handing out ad cards explaining the work I do to all of their customers and I have given them a list of counties I will work in. I am doing the same for them with my customers. I expect to get numerous solar screen jobs off this deal.

I was approached by one of the largest dealers and service centers in the Southeast about being an exclusive awning supplier to them doing all custom work on customer coaches. This could turn into more work. I also have another large dealer who is handing out my business cards and wants to stock some of my RV products like mirror covers and such.

Here is my problem. I get sick often and even though I am sick I still push myself to get the jobs finished. But it takes a toll on me. I also do 6 - 8 months of chemo every year which slows me down considerably. It makes installs real hard when it is hot outside.

I am scared to pursue all of these deals I have out there because I do not want to go full time. Also, 1.) I am retired and I am battling a helluva disease. 2.) I am retired and want to enjoy what life I have. BUT, I hate giving up upholstery work because I love it, have a passion for my work and have invested a great deal of time to obtain these skills.

I was thinking that maybe I could go with the flow here, market my work and then possibly contract out the extra work to someone like Paul ( who is currently looking for work ). I do NOT want to hire anyone because I do not want to get into the employee ordeal. Florida is real tough for hiring workers because the work load is so sporadic. It comes in and has you hopping and then it dies completely for several months.

My question is this. If you were standing in my shoes, what would you do ?

A,) Sell everything and get out of this business ?

B.) Lay low and take little jobs that trickle in now and then ?

C.) Go for it and pass the work on to others like Paul ?

Your input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

ragtacker

Hey, Chris,
As one of the OLD old-timers here, I am in the process of trying to slow down, myself (although I don't have the possible customer base that you could have!)  Personally, I would take a middle path:  keep the RV referrals, but not take on the awning business.  If you are near Paul, you might consult with him, and see if you might work out something like Ted and Cheryl have, where they often collaborate on projects.  Personally, I can't see myself not upholstering, but I am being forced to realize that I do have limitations :(  Keep on doing what you can - as you have discovered, it keeps you going!
Jan

baileyuph

Chris,

If you and Paul (BTW which Paul, one of our guys), hit it off and can work together, why not do:

B.  and C.

You haven't stated a reason for option A.

Pace your self and don't lose the zest for what you do.

I enjoy what I do, it gets easier when there is success. ;)

Doyle

sofadoc

March 25, 2011, 06:16:51 pm #3 Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 06:45:11 pm by sofadoc
What do they always say about exams?
"When in doubt, pick C"
If it becomes too much, you can always pass it ALL on.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JuneC

Sounds like you're a victim of your own success! 

[quote author=Mojo link=topic=9831.msg78329#msg78329 date=1301100331
Here is my problem. I get sick often and even though I am sick I still push myself to get the jobs finished. But it takes a toll on me. I also do 6 - 8 months of chemo every year which slows me down considerably. It makes installs real hard when it is hot outside.
[/quote]

Is the work keeping you going?  Or is the work making your tired?  Fine line there.  Only you can decide.

IMHO, I'd take on a sub, but not an employee.  See how it goes.  No commitments, just play it by ear.  As for awnings, I'd say no.  You do what you do, and you're not trying to expand (as far as I know).  Remember the Peter Principle?  If you're good at "X", that doesn't mean you're also good at "Y".  Stick to "X".  Be the best.  Less stress.  Sub out to companies/people you trust to uphold your quality standards.  Let the dealers find someone else to do the other stuff. 

Juen
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

March 25, 2011, 08:14:41 pm #5 Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 05:10:09 am by Mike8560
Sounds
like I wouldn't get burried to deep Chris  summers comming And you need to get that  boat in the water
I would just keep the smaller jobs going and avoid being there exclusive awning  supplier.
They would probly  be all over you to make deadlines.  I  hate deadlines.
Me I
I've found myself working slower then I was I'd rather just do small jobs.
Sound like you should take  it easy and work out somthing with  a sub aka Paul.

Typo editing 

fingers

Mojo,
I rarely pop in on this forum. Most of my babbling is over at Jack Carrs forum as Baker. If you decide that taking on help is the route to go then I'd like to put in a good word for Paul. We worked together at the same shop for seven or eight months. You would be hard pressed to find another upholsterer in the area with as much experience or the work ethic that Paul has. A pleasant disposition, honest....
I have thirty plus years in the trade myself. If I ran my own shop and needed help Paul would be my first and last phone call. He won't let you down.
                  an unsolicited endorsement, Bern

Mojo

I agree with you. Paul is a great guy. We are meeting in a couple weeks at the local car show. I know we have discussed me sending him work in the past.

What is funny is he is alot like I am, doesn't particularly care for doing Marine work.  ;D

I will see what happens in the months to come. Hopefully I can pass some work on to him.

Chris

fragged8

what about renting your machine to someone who could do the
work on your off days ?

show someone how to do it and just dip in as and when you feel like it ? that way
you still feel like you have a hand on the work.

Rich

scottymc

Hey Chris, Give the whole business to Paul and let him give you work on contract so you can do it at your pace, don't wear yourself out meeting deadlines for people that only care about getting there job done, your ill and your retired mate this is no time to be building a business, if you were training a son or grandson maybe. You love sewing so just do it for fun, when your tired go get some brownie points ,go back in the house and spend some time with the missus.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

March 27, 2011, 12:25:12 pm #10 Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:09:06 pm by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Chris,

I've always enjoyed reading your posts.

What your asking us to do is make a decision based what you should want for yourself.  Nobody can possibly answer that.

Personally, the way I see things, you are winding up, maintaining, or winding down.  You said you don't want to want out, so we'll agree with that.

A lot of folks who were thinking about getting out did so last few years instead of dumping money into the business to keep it alive like most did a year ago.  That's not you.

You said you don't want the headache of employees, growth, and that you current medical condition may limit your output.  Moving forward, even though it may be profitable, if it's not what YOU want, may become nothing more than a big headache.  Nobody wants more then they feel the can handle for any reason.  And, it's quite possible to become resentful of having to meeting deadlines, farming out work (whole other story here for sure)  and dealing with hired help.

Personally, I think it sounds like you are proud of the opportunity you have created for yourself, but that you would rather keep things in house the way they are more or less, as in maintaining the current state of business for yourself.  There is nothing wrong with being content with your current status. Like many folks I know, as they want to start to wind down and don't exactly need the money, what they really just want a place to go, and something to do with themselves.  And that's a good thing, and the best part is that you can do it on your own terms.  Not everyone can say that.

stitcher_guy

Hey buddy. I haven't stopped in in awhile, and yours is the first thing I see when I do stop by.

What I've always gathered from you, you enjoy what you have set up because it's just a couple notches above hobby status. Not that your work isn't top notch and pro, but you have flexibility. You're not loaded with contracts that have to be met or face penalties. Or more work to do than your health will allow. People in your circles see you work, know it, and seek you out for the custom touch you can put on their product.

If you expand into being a commercial supplier, then you know you'll have to sacrifice that personal touch to be standardized and meet the quota. That's not what you started out to do. You've never indicated that you're looking to make this a large-scale production venture. I have no doubt that you could do it and have the skill to do it. But, you are also picky enough and protective enough of the work you do that you'd never be happy if you subcontracted to other sewers. Something as simple as they don't lock their stitches the same way you do would have you up and pacing the floor all night long figuring out how to fix the problem. Your health can't take that, and you have to protect yourself first and foremost.

If you are comfortable with Paul's professionalism, I agree with what others have said and refer the business to him. Instead of being the contractor and looking for subcontractors, you be the one to subcontract. Fill in and pick up some work from Paul if he needs it. That way, if you're not feeling up to it, or if you want to fire up the RV and head out for a few weeks, you can.

Last question... with what you are already doing, not to mention expanding the business, have you even cut a single panel or sewn a single seam on the car interior? If you remember, I was bugging you to do that two or three years ago. Just sayin.

Russell

Mojo

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on March 27, 2011, 12:25:12 pm
Chris,

I've always enjoyed reading your posts.

Even the ones where I jokingly harass you ? Don't start liking them or I am going to start believing that machine dealers have a sense of humor.  :D

I appreciate your input and you gave some sound advice. Thank you.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Mojo on March 27, 2011, 05:50:08 pm
I appreciate your input and you gave some sound advice. Thank you.
Chris

Chris, you could have left it at that!@#   :-X

Oh, and about that sence of humor... :P

Mojo

Greg, I have a goal in life and that is to inject more humor and fun into you, even if I have to do it in suppository form............lmao........

I have already converted one machine dealer. Bob was a humorless old fart that only knew the backsides of sewing machines. Now he knows the backside of jokes. In fact he is now a joke creating machine.

Of course, there is an alternative. Instead of turning you into someone with a big sense of humor I could teach you how to be a pervert. I have many graduates and success stories from my Perv and Swerve classes.  ;D

Chris