Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 06:12:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Honoring Old Quotes...

Started by Highvelocity, March 24, 2011, 08:25:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Highvelocity

I guy called me up 2 weeks ago and wanted a job done that I quoted him on 2 years ago.  I think I was OK on the price but does anyone say "Hey that was 2 years ago, let me take another look"  Or do most just honor the old quote???

This job was 2 bucket seats, a sunpad and a rear bench...I think I quoted him 1200 at the time plus material.  I can't remember dicusssing RnR (remove and replace).  I hate this situation, I don't want to offend him but I feel like I need to re-evaluate the job. 

opinions??
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Joys Shop

I may honor a quote for 6 months, but after that, it has to be looked at again

Grebo

2 Years !    No way. Need to check that over again. Seats could be rotten by now !

Mike8560

When I give a written  propasal ig only states 30 days

I told a lady I gave a price to 6 months ago who calle me yesterday that I could do her bow seats for rye same quote she got sick a d did t call back a d so did I.
If Somoza e calls me fro
two years ago. I say let me see if I still have my notes a d I'll probly have to re measure the job. And then the price may go up to cover I creased costs   
I actually had a saiblat can as do this to me once   Got ny quote gave the job to a lower bid was t happy then called my back a d did t want. To give a deposited. He then decided to let his wife try it   

fragged8

same here , 30 days written on the ESTIMATE....
you could honour it for 3 months if you wished
but come on ....2 years ?

I don't call it a quote.. to my mind a quote is fixed
an estimate is flexible,

Rich

SHHR

I always put a 60 day max on all estimates. I can't think of any supplies I could buy today for the same price 2 years ago.
Kyle

sofadoc

I quoted a price of $65 for a cushion a few weeks ago. The woman pulled out a torn off piece of paper that said "Labor on cushion-$25". That was all it said. It was written by my mother......who died in 1997.
BTW: Remember I said it was a torn off piece of paper? The missing half probably had the material charge on it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Quote from: SHHR on March 24, 2011, 04:37:11 pm
I always put a 60 day max on all estimates. I can't think of any supplies I could buy today for the same price 2 years ago.
Kyle

Ditto. It is printed right on all my work proposals. If my costs have not gone up and its 90 days out I will still honor it.

Chris

sofadoc

For years, I've been doing the booth seats for my local Red Lobster restaurant. The parent company recently announced a new "Vendor Program".
It involves vendors (like me) jumping through countless hoops in order to work for them.
Among their new requirements, I have to guarantee my pricing for 2 years.
Think they'll guarantee the price of a lobster dinner that long?
I fired myself from doing their work.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JuneC

Any quote more than 2 or 3 months old requires a re-look.  Maybe the price will be the same, maybe not.  Depends on the materials involved and what's changed since I quoted.  I would never honor off-hand a quote I gave 2 years ago. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

Calling someone and asking if a 2 yr. old quote was "still good" reminds me of this one from my alteration archives:

I did a waist alteration to a pair of slacks for a woman, fully lined with belt loops that had to be respaced.  When she picked them up I asked her if she wanted to try them on to be certain she was satisfied with them (this is routine with me).  No, she would try them on at home.  I told her if I didn't hear from her in a week I would consider the alteration properly done.  One YEAR later she called me to schedule an appointment and told me I'd taken in the pair of slacks too much.  Yeah, right. 

I stand behind my work, but that doesn't mean clothing alterations come with a lifetime guarantee, lol. 

JuneC

Yeah  8)  and I weigh what I weighed when I was 25.... right....  in my dreams, maybe

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

ragtacker

Mike8560

I think my pants must  be shrinking  bobbin